• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&DI Character Builder Beta

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
I plan to subscribe when I can here this next week. But what is an OPEN Beta when it is only open to people that are paying. Doesnt that make it a Restricted Beta?

Just a thought. I will check it out sometime next week. I play LFR....well ok I run a lot of LFR hence none of my characters are above level 2 so the 3 level limit wont hurt me at all :)

Nytmare

David Jose
That is a very subjective word. I pay the same as you, and the char sheet is *more* than I expected. :)

Yes, but it is not "fully customizable" as was promised. I understand that people might like what they have been given, but it is not what we were told we were going to get.

James McMurray

First Post
Yes, but it is not "fully customizable" as was promised. I understand that people might like what they have been given, but it is not what we were told we were going to get.

Do you have a link to the original promise? I find it hard to believe they said you'd be able to move every single piece of the sheet individually.

Nytmare

David Jose
Do you have a link to the original promise? I find it hard to believe they said you'd be able to move every single piece of the sheet individually.

I talked with Randy at Gencon. He didn't say that you'd be able to move every single piece of the sheet individually, he said that the character sheet was exported as an xml file and that the character builder would allow you export to your own xml files.

Technically, yes. You can make your own xml file and load the character builder information into it. But, at the same time, that's not the same as the character builder doing it.

More to the point, I don't think that I was lied to or misled. I'm sure that this functionality is somewhere down the line. It's just that this is yet another thing in a long list of DDI expectations that have been put on hold for months (and months and months). It's frustrating that so much of what was promised for 4th Ed is still in what appear to be the most basic stages of development. I fully agree with the idea that making a good product is more important than releasing something that's not ready and not finished, but you have to wonder what all this time is being used to do.

Serphet

First Post
um you can move every box of information and even delete boxes you don't want... play with the "options". they don't allow custom sheets in the beta, but it is pretty much confirmed in the full version.

ki11erDM

Explorer
I already do, that doesn't change the fact that it should be an integral part of the program I'm paying for.

Soo... the product I think you must want is not going to be out for a bit. First they will need to develop a way of reading your thoughts remotely and distinguish them from all the others, and then they will have to build about 100,000 different versions. Then the real hard part… they must find away to make that model profitable… but I guess if you can read everyone’s mind then maybe you can find some other way to make money. Anyway till then... take the highly customizable tools they have provided and use them how you like.

And sorry if I sound a bit cranky but your requests sounds just like someone that I support who insisted I provide them with Open Office and then complained when it did not work just like MS Office and asked for me to ‘fix it’.

They are providing you with the ability to display the content in any way you so desire… your desire is just not strong enough. My desire is to have simply formatted text displayed on paper, the ability to pick what I want and move it around is just a bonus.

James McMurray

First Post
I talked with Randy at Gencon. He didn't say that you'd be able to move every single piece of the sheet individually, he said that the character sheet was exported as an xml file and that the character builder would allow you export to your own xml files.

The character builder does let you export xml files. That's what the *.dnd4e files it saves are. You can run those through whatever stylesheets you want.

If he said "export xml" and you heard "fully customkizable character sheets" there appears to have been a communication problem. XML is data only, wholly divorced from the presentation.

11lon

First Post
Has anyone had luck installing this on a PC WITHOUT internet connection?

I surf the net at the office, but would love to have this on my home PC as well. I'm currently downloading .NET 3.5 now, any other program this app is looking for?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads