D&D 5E D&D's Barbarian Path of the Storm Herald in Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
[video=youtube;VSFjJYrQWbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSFjJYrQWbE[/video]

When you rage, a storm erupts around you. They are more offensive than defensive. More magical, supernatural, and primal. A bit of Warden class flavor.

This sub-class transforms the environment around them more than transforming themselves.

Mike Mearls describes it as sort of the opposite of the Paladin, and not belief-based in motivations. More like the warriors from the land rather than the Druid as the connection to the land. A champion of nature. The sub-class has a bit more of a “control” element than most barbarians.

Last edited:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Thanks for posting this. Especially the summary. I like the idea of Storm Heralds a lot. I dislike that Mearls is continuing to describe every Barbarian subclass in terms of the Paladin. Seriously he's 3 for 3 now.

Last edited:

phantomK9

Explorer
I like the UA Storm Herald and really just wanted a bit more options of storm types and some final polish, so I don't think that this will change very much from the UA.....a fun class option.

One quick non-sequitur, the guy who intros the videos, Todd, seems like he keeps saying:
Xan-ther's Guide

While I'm in my head always saying it as:
Xan-A-thar's Guide

Am I wrong?
Is he pronouncing it wrong?
Or am I just not hearing him correctly?

Thanks posting this. Especially the summary. I like the idea of Storm Heralds a lot. I dislike that Mearls is continuing to describe every Barbarian subclass in terms of the Paladin. Seriously he's 3 for 3 now.

As soon as I read that description, I was like "I bet it won't be five posts before someone complains about it." Thanks for keeping the Great MechaTarrasque-nak's divination streak alive.

If I was on Twitter, I would ask him what the deal with the barbarian vs. paladin thing is. Maybe in the 2018 splat book there will be a LG Oath of Wild and Free paladin to keep the rivalry alive.....

I can't hold it in anymore:

Barbarian path of the paladin

Bunch of words....fiends and undead make you angry. If anyone suggests that all that anger will eventually cause you to do something evil, that makes you angry too (PotP Barbarian does not fall, he/she makes others fall at the end of his/her weapon).

At 3rd level, your attacks count as magical for purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity

At 6th level, you have advantage on all saves against effects/attacks generated by fiends or undead

At 10th level, you can lay hands, but not while you are raging.

At 14th level, if you rage while fighting a fiend or undead, it doesn't count against your total number of rages.

Take that Mike Mearls, the barbarian AM the best paladin. :devil:

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They recorded these is one big patch, so the fact he brings up the paladin comparison in every Barbarian is because they are snippets of one unitary conversation.

It kind of makes sense: Paladins as being mechanical representations of structure, and Barbarians as Rage fuelled destroyers, alignment questions aside.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
They recorded these is one big patch, so the fact he brings up the paladin comparison in every Barbarian is because they are snippets of one unitary conversation.
Ok, that explains some of it.
It kind of makes sense: Paladins as being mechanical representations of structure, and Barbarians as Rage fuelled destroyers, alignment questions aside.
Maybe it makes sense, but to me it's a useless kind of sense.

I want to see these new subclasses compared and contrasted to the existing Barbarian subclasses. Likewise, Shadow Sorcerer compared to Storm and Draconic. Monster Slayer compared to Hunter and so on and etc.

War Magic Wizard was compared to Evocation and Abjuration after all and not Valor Bard.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
I don't understand the complaints about these teaser videos.
They aren't the content; they are a free behind the scenes look at the designers thoughts on creating them.

Remove ads