D&D 5E D&D's official twitter feed is giving previews of art and contents from Monsters of the Multiverse

Bolares

Hero
I think it's only on your turn (so therefore no Opportunity Attacks), and it doesn't change the reach of reach weapons. But I think that needs to be spelled out more explicitly.
The part about it being only in your turn is correct. But Long Limbed doesn't need to state it changing the reach of weapons. It clearly states your attack's reach increase by 5 ft. So if your attacks range is 5, it becomes 10, if it's 10 it becomes 15.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah. But there is some confusion as to what exactly "setting-specific races" means. Are the Vedalken Setting-Specific? In D&D (so far) they only exist in Ravnica, but they exist on multiple worlds in the M:tG Multiverse. Are Grung "Setting-Specific"? As far as I can tell, they only ever appear in the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. What about Shifters and Changelings? Can Lycanthrope-folk and Doppleganger-folk really not exist in settings besides Eberron?

I'm certain that Warforged and Kalashtar won't appear in it, but I'm less sure about Shifters, Changelings, Vedalken, and other races.
Artificers were a setting-specific class…until they weren’t. Once you have artificers in a setting, a warforged-like race is basically inevitable. I’d be surprise if a sentient construct race very similar to warforged wasn’t included in the book.

Artificers were a setting-specific class…until they weren’t. Once you have artificers in a setting, a warforged-like race is basically inevitable. I’d be surprise if a sentient construct race very similar to warforged wasn’t included in the book.
At this point Warforged are so iconic, and relatively common in non-Eberron-set campaigns (in my experience, anyway - I mean, they're not a constant but they're more likely to show up than most non-PHB races), that if you're going to do "Sentient Construct", you might as well just make it Warforged.

I think Shifters are a bit of failed concept myself. They don't really have enough "oomph" for the player who wants to be a lycanthrope-type, and they're a bit weirdly specific, so are likely to stick in Eberron - there's still room for a "playable lycanthrope" race to emerge in D&D*. Whereas Changelings are great and could easily adapt to other settings, and do seem like a more broadly-applicable concept.

* = Indeed I think the main reason such a thing didn't in 5E, is because 5E's design and balancing, as discussed at length in some other threads, including the Theros one, absolutely ludicrously and insanely overvalues natural weapons and natural armour. Like just it's completely mad how powerful WotC think a STR-based attack which does 1d6 damage is or a unarmoured AC of 12 (which is incompatible with all spells/armour/magic items) is. I feel like the D&D design/balancing leads must ran games where they're absolutely constantly stripping the PCs naked and unarmed - and even then... The mind boggles.

The rule of cool, if something is cool then you are totally free to add it to your setting. And lots of players love to "wear the exclusive dress".

And we can't forget the PC races from Dragon Magazine when this was published by Paizo.

Today WotC's team worries more about a perfect design of new PC races to become popular among the players. Not only right racial traits, avoiding the typecasting but also to be an interesting concept. Hasbro wants the new PC races also to sell toys and other merchandising products.

If now kobolds can be PCs or no-so-evil, for example as metalic dragons' minions, what about the animosity between kobolds and gnomes, by fault of the past conflict between their deities?

An Eberron-Spelljammer official crossover wouldn't be totally imposible, and I say it seriously. They share some common elements.

I imagine the lore of the bugbears like the gorillas from "the planet of the apes", and the goblins like the "losers" who could survive a zombie apocalypse (at least because thanks their inmunological system they need a lot of time more to be totally infected and sometimes even to survive the bite).

If the PC races are going to lose racial atributes modifiers, why not ones based in the "life style" (living in the wilds, academy, underground, cold weather...)?

Changelings and sifhters totally possible in Ravenoft, and even the kalashtars could be humans who survived slavery in Bluetspur domain.

Nothing of Dark Sun without previous UA psionic powers, and also we will have to see an UA about psionic PC races (dromites, maenas, xephes, elans, and even maye shardminds, fraals or blues! (goblin subrace). (elans as PC in Dark Sun may be too broken). Reborns in Kalidnay(dark domain)?

No Planescape without a previous UA about PC races as rogue modrons, bariaurs, spikers, mephlings, para-genasies, mechanatrixes and other planetouched) (but the petitioners' offspring "wildren" may need a reboot/retcon).

* Shouldn't centauresses ( = female centaurs) to wear skirts to cover that?

Vaalingrade

Legend
I think Shifters are a bit of failed concept myself. They don't really have enough "oomph" for the player who wants to be a lycanthrope-type, and they're a bit weirdly specific, so are likely to stick in Eberron - there's still room for a "playable lycanthrope" race to emerge in D&D*. Whereas Changelings are great and could easily adapt to other settings, and do seem like a more broadly-applicable concept.
Plus, I don't think I've ever seen art that makes them look cool. They're just like... the cat people from Scooby Doo on Zombie Island or worse.

Weiley31

Legend
The issue with Shifter art is that its the same like Firblog art: The official art is so-so and not enough is there for what is there. And then you get the fan art which probably looks better or even waaaay different from the official standard art for them. And even that can be 50/50 too.

Remove ads