[d20 Apocalypse] After the Blast IC - Chapter 2

Voda Vosa

First Post
Francisco pushes officer Beeman gently to a side. "We need spare parts for a cargo truck. Electronic joints, that sort of things." he says. He is no overly cautions as to conceal his weapons. Both his crossbow and his cane sword are easily noticeable.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"Spare parts, eh?" the balding man says. "Spare parts might be hard to come by. But you tell me what you need and maybe we can work something out."

Francisco takes a few moments to explain what he needs to get the truck up and running. A lot of mechanical talk is exchanged. Given the effects of the EMP, the repairs needed are going to be fairly complex. Francisco doesn't think he can do them in the field without purchasing some additional tools, so he has to add those to his list of needed items. The silver lining is that only the electrical systems need repair, and he doesn't need to bring them all back on line, just a few key systems. Afterward, the man gives Francisco a quote. He wants an outrageous amount of money. It might be better to barter with him.

[sblock=OOC]Since Francisco needs to rebuild the electrical systems in the truck from scratch (post-EMP he can't salvage much), he will need a deluxe electrical tool kit. This has a TU (trade unit) cost of 7, or the equivalent of seven days worth of supplies for one person. The man's attitude is indifferent (Diplomacy might help) so he demands at least 14 TUs worth of goods. Since your credit cards won't work and you do not have access to banks, you will have to trade for it. In other words, purchase DCs are not being used. If you have d20 Apocalypse the trade system is explained in more detail starting on page 22. There are also tables indicating the relative TU value of things. If you do not have this, I will post a TU conversion chart so you guys can see what you can do to come up with the needed materials (see the OOC thread). There is also a brief overview of the TU system in the OOC thread. I'm not going to post the rules in entirety because of copyright considerations.

Edit: Okay, I don't remember where I posted the overview of the TU system. Anyone remember? I'm still adding the TU values charts.

Edit: You'll also need batteries, although for now you can probably cannibalize them from something else. Take a look at your equipment. You don't need to go into specifics as to whether it is a AA or AAA. Even cell phone batteries will work (for now) since Francisco can probably jury-rig a way to get power out of them, even if it isn't very efficient. The cell phone itself may be a paperweight, but the battery can be salvaged.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Felix1459

First Post
Seeing the large group pass by him and enter the store, Michael follows them. He sees the Officer there and overhears the group talking about spare parts for their cargo truck and at least one of them sounding like they know something about cars and parts. Seeing as though he wanted to put as much distance between himself and the explosions, getting with a
group that had a running vehicle would be a place to start. Michael walks up and hears the man haggling over prices, cash only, trade this for that and that for this. He breaks his silence "Excuse me. I couldn't help but overhear. Are you saying that you guys actually had a working vehicle? If so would you mind terribly if I tagged along? Haven't done this much walking since I got my driver's license."

Voda Vosa

First Post
Francisco seems to either not notice or purposely ignore the newcomer at the moment. He fixes the seller with a piercing stare, and then flares back to Officer Beeman.
"Officer, do you think this person is being honest and good American citizen?" he turns to the man again. "I think he is being some serious opportunistic leech who should know better than trying to rob an agent of the government."

ethandrew

First Post
Elway gives a sideway glance to the new guy as he walks up to the latin looking man, Francisco, he thinks he was named, "Hey, do you think we could get some extra car batteries? I saw a show a while ago that some guy jury-rigged like a bunch of them together and made like a generator or something, could be useful."

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I can do that but need some specific stuff to make it work properly, the kind of stuff this man is trying to charge us an outrageous amount of goods for." Explains Francisco.

Felix1459

First Post
At being ignored Michael will simply look around the Hispanic man, make eye contact and ask "Would you take cash for the parts these people are asking for?" If the man says yes and names a price he will pay the man, buying the parts therefore giving Michael a bargaining chip.

Graybeard

Explorer
Brian Demere

Brian walked slowly along the road. Had it really been only a day since the world went to hell? People he had talked to along the way here spoke of a nuclear explosion. Who nuked Chicago and why? Brian supposed that the government needed to worry about such things. His main concern was survival. Phones didn't work, cars were also inoperative, in fact, nothing electrical worked.

He looked around at the bedraggled group trudging along the roadway. Normally this road would be busy with traffic but no longer. Brian had given basic medical attention to several people he had encountered along the way. It was a good thing he had paid attention in those classes in med school.

His life was irrevocably changed now. His dream of becoming a famous plastic surgeon for the rich and famous was now just that, a dream. It would never become a reality now. For better or worse, his skills at basic medicine were now a treasured commodity. Hopefully, he would continue to be able to obtain the supplies he needed to be useful.

As he slowly walked along the road, he noticed a group of people inside an auto parts store out of corner of his eye. What were they doing in there? Was it possible that they had a working car? It was a slim chance but it beat walking.

Carefully removing himself from the crowd, he headed towards the store. At the window, he peered inside for a closer look. It was difficult to tell exactly how many people were inside but it looked like at least a half dozen. One of them looked like a cop. That was an encouraging sign.

Finding the entrance to the store, Brian entered the dimly lit interior. He carefully made his way to the gathered group and overheard them arguing about prices for parts. Then one of them mentioned paying cash.

"Sorry to interrupt, but do you actually have a working car?"

Then realizing his poor manners, "Oh, the name's Brian by the way. I'm a doctor. Well, actually, not yet but I am a med student."

ThWatcher

First Post
Janice Cardinal 11/13

Janice watches the man walk into the store. When he glances at her, she smiles innocently. When the second man walks in, she does the same as before. She then goes back to browsing through the things on the shelves. Most of it was junk to her, but over the last year as a run-away, she had learned that some of it was valuable to some people.

She touched one thing and then the next, wondering what would be valuable now that the bomb had flattened the city and was changing so many things.

strawhat

First Post
Duke 21/36HP

Duke had been walking for about 10 hours when he saw the sign for Manteno. He had been there a few times on his way to Chicago and decided to head there. After another hour of walking he arrives. He makes his way to the auto store, hoping to find someone with a car who would be willing to take him closer. He knew people would think he was crazy, but he wanted to learn about his family. Seeing the ash, he knew there could be heavy radiation, and it would get worse the further you went.

He seeing that people were inside, he entered the the building. Announcing to the people inside "If anyone has a working vehicle, would they be willing to give me a ride towards Chicago, I can pay with food and water."

Remove ads