[d20 Apocalypse] After the Blast IC - Chapter 2

airwalkrr

Adventurer
This thread is for players in the [d20 Apocalypse] After the Blast campaign only. Others may feel free to lurk. If you would like to discuss the campaign, anyone is welcome to join us in the OOC thread (see signature). These rules have been updated and corrected for typos.

Rules for Posting in this Thread
1) Please do not post OOC discussion on this thread (that is what the OOC thread is for). OOC comments germane to your character's actions are fine.
2) All players must fill out the title section for each post. The title section should include your character's name, current hit points/max hit points, plus any conditions currently affecting the character such as: Daniel Stokes, 32/45 hp, dazed.
3) Describe actions and spoken words only. Do not describe thoughts unless you use spoiler tags as these should be for GM's eyes only (there might be someone with psionics around reading thoughts). In any event, you are not required to post your character's thoughts unless I ask you to.
4) When posting spoken words, be sure to use bold type and colored font. There are only eight choices available for colored font: red, dark orange, yellow, lime, dark slate blue, cyan, blue and purple. Color choice is first-come, first-served, and once you choose a color, you cannot switch to a different one. If a player drops from the game or flakes out, his/her color will become available for use for new players only. Existing players must continue to use their old color. The current colors are already taken: Francisco, Janice and Elway.
5) Use InvisibleCastle for all of your rolls. You will need an InvisibleCastle account in the name of your character or your EN World screen name. If you choose to use your EN World screen name, you will need to include your character name in the notes of each roll. Whenever you make a roll, simply link back to the roll in your post using a URL tag. Add in all applicable bonuses and/or penalties to your roll on InvisibleCastle to save time.
6) Choose when to use an action point at the time you make the roll. If it does not look like a good enough roll at the time you make the roll, and you wish to add an action point, make an action point roll immediately afterwards and link to the action point beneath the roll. Don't worry. I can do simple addition. Once you have submitted your post, it will be too late to add an action point.
7) At the beginning of each combat, roll five d20s. I will use these throughout the battle, although I will make most of the other rolls (such as damage rolls) myself. If any of the rolls look low enough that you want to add an action point to them, the beginning of the battle is when you should do it. If for some reason you do not end up using that roll, the action point will not be spent. When you are down to two d20s, I will have you roll up five more.
8) At the beginning of each combat round, post a priority of three main actions in case your turn comes up and your primary action is no longer necessary. For instance, if you choose to attack a gang leader with your pistol on your initiative of 10 but one of your allies takes the gang leader down on initiative of 13, you should have two backup actions to perform, such as, aiding someone else's action, stabilizing one of your fallen allies, gathering up dropped weapons and ammo, and so forth. List them in priority order with 1) being your primary objective, 2) being your secondary objective, and 3) being your tertiary objective.
9) Please do not post in this thread until you have received permission to post your character in the Rogue's Gallery (see signature).
10) Please do not edit your post without requesting my permission on the OOC thread. If I see a post has been edited and includes an action point, I will disregard the action point and consider it unspent. Again, you must decide whether or not to add an action point to a roll before you submit your post.

Chapter 1

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Day 1, November 4th, 2020, Approx. 8:00 AM (14:00 GMT)

It is Day 1 of the Apocalypse. Yesterday, Chicago, Illinois and Gary, Indiana were engulfed in atomic flames. It was the day of the United States Presidential Election and the streets were filled with voters. President Sarah Palin was attempting to secure a coveted second term against challenger Tim Kaine. Because of the new apportionment of electoral delegates that had been ratified as the twenty-eighth amendment to the US constitution, the turn-out for the 2020 elections was expected to be higher than ever before.

Then it happened. A mushroom cloud over downtown Chicago. The core of the city was instantly incinerated and most of the outlying suburbs destroyed in the process. Only a fraction of the city's population in outlying areas survived, many of them attempting to flee the city north, west, or south along major highways. The fallout from the explosion has been felt even as far south and Manteno, Illinois, where even now a small group of heroes have banded together for support in this time of crisis. Along the way they have encountered numerous hazards and undergone a series of unusual events. They now find themselves in the small town of Manteno, attempting to secure medical supplies for a gravely-injured person in their party and parts to repair a semi-rig that they used to escape the city.

[sblock=ethandrew]How Elway survived is up to you. Perhaps he was at an election rally on the edge of town when the blast happened. Maybe he was visiting a coffee shop. Or perhaps he was just returning to college after a weekend trip. It's up to you. He has now found himself in Manteno seeking shelter from the fallout. He, like so many other refugees, escaped from Chicago heading south along Interstate 57. Along the way, he witnessed something strange. While trying to scavenge supplies at a gas station in Richton Park, he saw an odd creature moving about the wreckage. He tells himself it must have been a dog or something and that his eyes were playing tricks on him. Whatever the thing was, it quickly darted out of view before he got a good look at it, but the image is burned into his mind and he cannot stop thinking about it. So far, he has yet to run into anyone with a similar experience. That is all about to change.

Click for a picture of the creature.

If you see an opportune moment to jump in, feel free. You could overhear the group talking about their experiences and decide to approach them or whatever else. If not, perhaps you are helping other refugees at one of the shelters and I can have the group approach you.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Well, we need those parts for the truck first and pronto. I think I should take care of that, although I would need some of you locals para chamullar, to do the talking. Situations like this make people untrusty and quite xenophobic. If I go there with my latin accent they'll probably react violently." he says. Noticing he is speaking to the same people he is refearing to, he hasty corrects himself "Not all of them, as it is evident, but there's the chance that it might happen. I don't want to be alone surrounded by loquitos asesinos."

[sblock=OOC]
Francisco will try to find the parts he needs, and get at least a local NPCs with him. Either the cop or the nice fat man.
Spanish words used:
Pronto: Soon, quickly
Para chamullar: For bluff, for convince, for decieve.
Loquitos asesinos: diminutive of crazy, and assassins, killers. Little crazy killers[/sblock]

ThWatcher

First Post
Janice Cardinal 11/13

Everywhere they go, Janice tries to gather information and any food and water the locals will give her. She'll also use Diplomacy and/or Bluff to assist her group of friends. If they urge her to do the talking, she will try to act like she knows what she's doing as she asks/haggles for what the group needs.

[sblock=ooc]
Gather Info (1d20+5=18, 1d20+5=22, 1d20+5=11, 1d20+5=7, 1d20+5=14)
oops: gather info should have been at +7; corrected values are 20, 24, 13, 9, 16

Diplomacy (1d20+5=20, 1d20+5=21, 1d20+5=18, 1d20+5=24, 1d20+5=19)
oops: diplomacy should have been at +7; corrected values are 22, 23, 20, 26, 21

Bluff (1d20+5=19, 1d20+5=8, 1d20+5=12, 1d20+5=23, 1d20+5=9)
oops: bluff should have been at +9; corrected values are 23, 12, 16, 27, 13

If you want more detailed posting, then someone in the group can tell me who we see and/or where we go first, and I'll start posting as fast as airwalkrr can reply. [/sblock]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
You decide to head to the south side of town first towards Lang's Auto Parts to get what you can for the truck. You have some money and credit cards on you, but you are concerned that it might not be of much use as you pass a number of shops along the way that say "no credit cards! cash or trade-ins only." It seems some people have already resorted to a sort of crude barter system in these desperate times. You pass a grocery mart with a line way out the door. Numerous refugees seem to be attempting to find their way inside to find purchase for some sort of edible goods. Despite your minor crisis of conscience about the ethics of looting, you suddenly find some comfort in the stocks of canned food and dry goods you managed to scavenge before leaving Chicago.

OOC: I assume you took some of the food along with you, just in case. Officer Beeman turns a blind eye to anything that might appear looted. It seems he has other, more pressing concerns.

As you are walking along, Janice suddenly stops and stared blankedly at the line of refugees. It is 30 seconds or so before she is roused from her stupor.
[sblock=ThWatcher]As Janice is walking by the market, she catches sight of a blue-eyed young man with some scrapes on his elbows standing in line. At first, he seems no more incredible than any other refugee, but then the visions start again. Janice finds herself watching the young fellow in a different setting. It is Chicago, most likely the day before judging by the enormous mushroom cloud in the sky and the relative lack of ash upon the ground. The young man is unable to see you, in fact he walks right through you, but as he goes to pick up some bags of potato chips that are lying on the ground near a wrecked gas station, he does a double take. Something nearby has just knocked over some garbage, and this thing is all too familiar to Janice. It is a monster, just like the one she faced earlier in the auto parts store, but this one makes a hasty getaway. The youth seems to brush it off, but Janice knows what she saw, and senses the young man saw something odd about it too. You snap back to reality. Did you just experience a part of this man's past?[/sblock]
[sblock=ethandrew]Elway is standing in line with other refugees trying to get into a local food mart in Manteno when a group of four passes by. There is a latin man with oily fingers, a filthy little girl draped in countless raggedy clothes, a scraped and bruised pudgy man still wearing the torn apron of a supermarket attendant, and a police officer. The girl stops suddenly and seems to be staring right at you.[/sblock]

ThWatcher

First Post
Janice Cardinal 11/13

After Janice blinks and looks around quickly for signs of the creature, she adjusts her back pack. She never goes anywhere without it. She says to her friends, "Wait! I need to ask that man if he saw the creature."

She walks over to the blue eyed man and looks up at him. "You saw the creature didn't you? It was not long ago, but you saw it didn't you?"

Last edited:

ThWatcher

First Post
Janice Cardinal 11/13

Janice's mind is racing when she steps next to the blue eyed man. "It was there, when you were picking up the potato chip bags near the gas station. It knocked over the garbage and you looked at it. Then it ran away from you. Come with us, please."

Voda Vosa

First Post
"No she is not. I think the explosion might have created some sort of ... "creature" due to radiation. We came across that thing and kill it when we were searching for some spare parts for our truck." He frowns "Don't get me that cara de tonto officer, I'm not some loquito."

Remove ads