• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Future] 22nd Century: Solar Odyssey to Hell. [FULL]

HAR-Vee

First Post
I recently acquired a 3D real time strategy game called Homeworld 2. I has some of the most amazing starship graphics I've ever scene. There are dozens of ship types from scouts to fighters to frigates to capital ships to giant space structures.

Something like this.

I can fully rotate around any ship in 360 degrees, with tight or wide zoom. There is a strategic starship map that can also be rotated in any angle.

With a little description I can select a ship to represent ships we encounter in the game. The one above is a "Frigate". There are about 10 different frigate designs.

I also have CC2 and Cosmographer if you want do some floor plans.

Turanil

First Post
I recently acquired a 3D real time strategy game called Homeworld 2. I has some of the most amazing starship graphics I've ever scene. There are dozens of ship types from scouts to fighters to frigates to capital ships to giant space structures.

With a little description I can select a ship to represent ships we encounter in the game. The one above is a "Frigate". There are about 10 different frigate designs.
I can be interested in this. The pic looks excellent! Nonetheless, I already selected a load of photos taken from sci-fi movies of my DVDs collection (more than 80 heroic-fantasy and sci-fi films :) ). I already determined the starship, so would like to remain with that one (that I did show on this thread). Plus, for this whole game, I would like to remain with photos when at all possible rather than illustrations. However, for some starfighters (and well, other starships as well) it could be okay (I don't want to use Star-Wars starfighters which are too easy to recognize).

I also have CC2 and Cosmographer if you want do some floor plans.
I am really interested in this, as for the moment I don't know what method (i.e.: easy method) I could use to make nice starships and stations deck plans.

Otherwise, concerning the equipment. Please wait eight hours; i am tired of my day, and want to go to bed rather than look into d20 Future. Tomorrow morning I will do it before anything else. ;)

Turanil

First Post
I added the equipment provided by the SIA in the Rogue Gallery thread. If you think I overlooked something that should logically given to your PCs in these circumstances, just tell me here.

However, I don't allow nano-augmenters, so no prophecy, chatter, and soullink, as it's not devices found in Transhuman Space; plus I don't like them as they look too much like magic for my taste. Sorry.

John Tobermory

First Post
Heh,

Not really magic. Just cybernetics on a much smaller scale. I have no problem if you're not kosher with them. I figured they'd only be useful onboard the ship or areas we could extend extend coverage through ambient nanoclouds. Looks like my impression on nanotechnology development is ahead of where you are comfortable so that's fine. I'll take another look at the cybernetics section.

John

Turanil

First Post
Okay for Cybernetics. Don't forget to also ask Dr. Freerover to being grafted with cybernetics...

Okay everybody, maybe some of you still don't know that the game has begun yesterday: HERE! .

Likewise, the equipment provided by the SIA is detailed in the Rogue Gallery forum.

A last note: I myself use colored texts that look better on the Enworld default skin / background (i.e.: dark gray / black), that is: light colors. Unless you use clear skins / backgrounds, it would be nice if you could also use colors that are easily readable on a black background. Not that this is really important though... ;)

What else to say? Ah yes:
I will have to make maps for starships and stations. I don't want to draw by hand, and I am too lazy to use illustrator. I have asked on the General Discussion forum, but nobody seems to know apparently, but maybe you do: does anyone here knows where to download or buy online a cool and easy to use maping software that would work well to design starship and stations deckplans? Would tiles from PDF found on RPGnow work well? I would like to have advice before spending money...

Thanks. :)

HAR-Vee

First Post
Reposting equipment list for easier reference... (I made add to it)

Equipment provided by the SIA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the equipment you get for the mission. It includes also things I don't really need to mention such as clothes and regular medicine. Note that only those who have the Medium Armor Proficiency feat get a Medium Combat Armor and a plasma rifle (it was deem that scientists and pilots don't need a plasma rifle, they have enough with the two other weapons provided).

Nanotechnology
Chatter, soulink, and prophecy nanoaugmenters are too advanced for the 22nd century (they don't exist in Transhuman Space, and look too much as magic for my taste). However, the PCs will have access to:

Calcion: A beneficial nanovirus, calcion is one of the most commonly used nanocolonies in the field of medicine. Calcion is a bone-knitting nanite that repairs fractures and breaks in bones with advanced calcium-grafting technology. Additionally, calcion repairs joints and aids with skin regeneration. A character injected with calcion heals from damage at twice the normal rate until she reaches full hit points. After her health is fully restored, the calcion nanites deactivate and cease to function.

DNA Repair: A beneficial nanovirus that repairs damage to cellular genetic material from radiation. DNA Repair heals 10 rads every 12 hours.

Microgravity Biochemistry: A beneficial nanovirus that makes metabolic adjustments to prevent degeneration in microgravity and zero gravity.

Guardian: A beneficial nanovirus that seek and destroy any nano not of the above types. They provide +6 to Fortitude saving throws to resist harmful nanoviruses such as "Gray Death" or "Stiletto".

Exowomb of Regeneration: Patient is immersed in a tank (the starship has two of them) and his cells regenerated. This is the way for curing wounds, repairing 2d8 of damage per hour.

Exowomb of Nanostasis: Patient is immersed in a tank (the starship has two of them) and held in nanostasis. It is a means of shutting down a person's metabolism, putting him into a state of suspended animation. It is usually used for long travels across space.

Violet Rations
A pack per character of 10 violet rations (3 to 5 days of food) to use in emergency cases. Violet rations are entire meals that come in pill form. The pill is placed under the tongue and dissolves, releasing not only the flavors of various foods but also the consumer’s daily supply of nutrients and vitamins. Each violet ration is the equivalent of a single meal and is nutritious, filling, and relatively appetizing.

Universal Communicator (Unicom)
The unicom is an all-in-one piece of equipment that handles the communication needs of a single person. Each unicom has its own frequency and can send transmissions both directly to another individual unicom as well as to an entire group of unicoms. The unicom also has a data port so that it can be linked to a computer system and receive data as well as audio and visual communications. This one can handled encrypted communications, and is linked to the other crewmembers' unicoms, as well as the starship.
Miniaturized: The unicom is two sizes smaller than normal (Diminutive instead of Small). It is easily concealed on the body (grants a +4 bonus on any checks made to conceal the unicom from view), and permits discreet communications.

Small Laser Pistol
Damage: 2d8; Critical: 20; Damage type: fire; Range increment: 40 ft.; Rate of fire: S; Magazine: 50 box; Size: small; Weight: 1.5 lb.; Purchase DC: 21; Restriction: lic (+1).

This weapon has been designed to be easy to conceal. As such it gets the Compact and Sensor Baffling gadgets.
Compact: The weapon is one size smaller than normal (Small instead of Medium).
Sensor Baffling: From simple metal detectors to advanced x-ray scanners, there is a way to detect every weapon. As the technology level increases, so does the accuracy of weapons sensing devices. The ability to confuse these sensors can be invaluable, especially when smuggling weapons past security. Any weapon with the sensor baffling gadget grants a +4 bonus on any checks made to conceal the weapon from sensors or other detection devices.

Mini Rockets Pistol
Damage: varies; Critical: 20; Damage type: varies; Range increment: 150 ft.; Rate of fire: single; Magazine: 6 box; Size: medium; Weight: 3 lb.; Purchase DC: 23; Restriction: mil (+3).

The mini-rockets pistol is somewhat different from a 20th century shoulder-carried missile launcher. It is a large pistol and fires very small rockets of the size of shotgun cartridges. This gun and its rockets are designed so they can work in an environment without air. However, the special ammunitions are hard to come by, so most probably more won't be found later. It has been given the Compact gadget (as such it is lighter and more easy to wield than older rocket launchers that could only had one rocket in it at a time). Ammunitions available (30 of each per person):

Explosive rockets: 5d6 of ballistic/fire damage (3d6 ballistic / 2d6 fire).

EMP rockets: An EMP mini rocket releases an electromagnetic pulse that instantly shorts out all electronic devices (including computers) within a 5-foot burst radius (instead of 20 for a grenade). Affected devices remain nonfunctional until repaired unless they make a Fort save at DC=20. The EMP rocket only deals 2d6 of ballistic damage to living creatures. However, a creature with cybernetic attachments takes an additional1d6 points of electricity damage per cybernetic attachment (maximum 3d6) and must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 15) or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. If the cybernetically enhanced creature rolls a natural 1 on its Fortitude save, each of its cybernetic attachments takes 1d6 points of electricity damage as well. An EMP rocket deals 5d6 (2d6 ballistic, 3d6 electricity) of damage to a mecha or robot (in addition to the EMP effect).

Tangler rockets: The tangler rocket releases an incredibly sticky compound that can render a target immobile in a few short moments. The compound, released when the rocket hits and explodes, expands into a gelatinous substance that covers large portions of a target. Unfortunately for the target, the disgusting mess soon becomes more problematic as the compound hardens. Within second, a single pellet has expanded into a ball of goop and then hardened into an immobilizing layer of tough chitin. Any time a character is struck by a tangler rocket, that character suffers a cumulative –2 penalty to Dexterity. This penalty remains in place until the compound is dissolved. If the character is struck with enough tangler pellets that the penalty is equal to or greater than his Dexterity, he is immobilized and may take no actions until the compound is dissolved. Dexterity penalties from tangler rockets stack with those from tangler grenades. Hardened compound dissolves naturally after 8 hours or can be removed by using solvaway chemical or some other spray solvent.

Plasma Rifle
Damage: 3d10; Critical: 20; Damage type: Fire; Range increment: 80 ft.; Rate of fire: S, A; Magazine: 50 box; Size: large; Weight: 8 lb.; Purchase DC: 26; Restriction: res (+2).

Plasma occurs when gases become electrically charged after losing electrons. Plasma rifles condense this electrically charged gas into a destructive force that can eat through solid objects and cause severe damage. Plasma rifles generate their destructive ammunition by superheating gasses held inside specialized power packs and then compressing those gasses into a focused plasma round. Plasma rifles do not use ammunition, but are instead powered by power packs. In addition, the rifles given to the PCs get the Sound Suppressor and Variable Charge gadgets.
Sound Suppressor: Similar to the gun silencers of the 20th century, the sound suppressor takes over this function with plasma weapons. The sound suppressor generates a field of sonic energy that cancels sound produced within field, reducing weapon firing noise to a mere whine of sonic energy discharge. The sound suppressor adds +10 to the DC of Listen checks made to hear the weapon firing.
Variable Charge: This gadget takes advantage of a plasma weapon’s ability to modify the damage caused by its own shots. This gadget gives the user the ability to “power up” his shots by focusing more energy into a single blast. The weapon may be primed as an attack action, increasing the damage of its next shot by +1 die. As such, the plasma rifle that normally deals 3d10 points of damage, deals 4d10 points of damage after being primed for one round. The plasma rifle may be primed for up to three rounds. If primed for more than three rounds, it becomes unstable; on the fourth round the weapon must be fired or else it explodes and deals the fully charged damage (4d10) to the user. When this occurs, the weapon is completely destroyed.

Light Combat Armor
Type: tactical; Equip bonus: +3; Non prof. bonus: +1; Max dex. bonus: +5; Armor penalty: –1; Speed: 30 ft.; Weight: 4 lb.; Purchase DC: 18; Restriction: lic (+1).

Light combat armor provides less protection than later, heavier types, but also allows increased mobility. It consist of a reinforced blast vest, shoulder and upper arm pads, thigh and abdomen pads, and kneepads. It also includes helmet and visor, and is equipped with a communications system that allows for radio transmissions to the spaceship and other crew members; the helmet has display glasses that enable to provide info and data like any other such display glasses. Additionally, this armor is equipped with the Ultralight Composition and Self Repairing gadgets.
Ultralight Composition: The development of new and experimental alloys constantly allows armor technology to advance to the point where once bulky and heavy armors become as easy to carry as lighter models. Any armor with the ultralight composition gadget weighs significantly less than similar pieces of armor and is more easily used and worn. The armor reduces its Armor Check Penalty and increases its armor’s speed limitation (already counted above).
Self Repairing: This gadget implements nanotechnology to repair minor damage to armor. Whenever the armor is damaged, the self-repairing gadget immediately issues commands to a set of nanites that move to the problem spot and begin making repairs. The gadget repairs 1 point of damage per minute to the armor.

Medium Combat Armor
Type: tactical; Equip bonus: +4; Non prof. bonus: +2; Max dex. bonus: +4; Armor penalty: –2; Speed: 20 ft.; Weight: 8 lb.; Purchase DC: 18; Restriction: lic (+1).

Designed for heavy warfare and dangerous situations, medium combat armor covers the user almost head to toe in armor plating. Medium combat armor comes with a helmet that fits snugly on the head and does not interfere with the soldier’s field of vision. It is also equipped with a communications system that allows for radio transmissions to the spaceship and other crew members; the helmet has display glasses that enable to provide info and data like any other such display glasses. Additionally, though this armor is certainly not a space combat armor, and cannot replace a spacesuit, it is nonetheless equipped with the Environment Seal and Self Repairing gadgets.
Environment Seal: This gadget provides the wearer protection from harsh conditions. The environment seal gadget transforms the armor into a stable and insulated artificial environment. This provides the wearer with the right amount of breathable air and external pressure to assure comfort and survival for up to eight hours, ensuring that the armor can function in the extremes of the deep sea or deep space, along with any environment in between.
Self Repairing: This gadget implements nanotechnology to repair minor damage to armor. Whenever the armor is damaged, the self-repairing gadget immediately issues commands to a set of nanites that move to the problem spot and begin making repairs. The gadget repairs 1 point of damage per minute to the armor.
Masterwork Knife: Not a gadget, but the armor has a masterwork knife in an integrated sheath on the left shoulder.

Space Suit
Type: tactical; Equip bonus: +7; Non prof. bonus: +3; Max dex. bonus: +0; Armor penalty: –9; Speed: 20 ft.; Weight: 50 lb.; Purchase DC: 26; Restriction: lic (+1).

The standard space suit is a completely enclosed environment suit capable of sustaining life in extremes of temperature and a lack of breathable air. The suit is large and bulky, composed of a thick body suit and helmet with a transparent mask, all parts of which are capable of deflecting micro-meteors and other space-borne projectiles. Inside the suit, internal air tanks and environmental filters maintain temperature and pressure. Additionally, a communications system not only allows for radio transmissions to the spaceship and other crew members, but also allows internal sensors to monitor biological functions that can be observed from mission control. The space suit is poor combat armor, but allows for movement and action in space. Additionally, this spacesuit is equipped with the Ultralight Composition and Self Repairing gadgets.
Ultralight Composition: The development of new and experimental alloys constantly allows armor technology to advance to the point where once bulky and heavy space suits become as easy to carry as lighter models. Any space suit with the ultralight composition gadget weighs significantly less than others and is more easily used and worn. The space suit reduces its Armor Check Penalty and increases its speed limitation (already counted above).
Self Repairing: This gadget implements nanotechnology to repair minor damage to the space suit. Whenever the space suit is damaged, the self-repairing gadget immediately issues commands to a set of nanites that move to the problem spot and begin making repairs. The gadget repairs 1 point of damage per minute to the space suit.

HAR-Vee can craft many simple (yet effective) devices in just a few minutes. These devices work normally until a natural 1 is rolled in association with them. Then they explode. But still, it may be handy to have a slug thrower that bypasses 10 points of hardness now and then. I will post some "suggested items" here and add this post to my char sig.

Some suggested items:
Items Available in a few minutes (# of Bugs), Purchase DC, Construct Safely time:

Harvey’s Slugger (6), Purchase DC 19, 3 days
-Damage 2d10, Medium size, Magazine (4 Box), Armor Penetration 10

Secret Stun Gun (6), Purchase DC 19, 3 days
-Damage 1d4 or Stun (Fort save 18 or be stunned 1d4 rounds), Small size, Magazine 4 shots, Sensor Baffling (+4 to the weapon’s detection DC)

Harvey’s Camo Coat (8), Purchase DC 15, 4 days
-Light Armor, +3 Equipment Bonus, +6 max dex, 6 lbs., Camo (+4 Hide), Air Supply (1 hour).

Other Equipment Items:
5 pairs Display Glasses
500' Duracable
3 Grappler tags
3 HackCards
3 HUD's
10 Nanobeacons
1 Portable Environment Generator
5 Spray LCD's
5 Aquaconverters
3 Comp Cards
2 pairs Display Contacts
2 Fusion Torches
1 Sensor, Chemicomp
1 Sensor, Geocomp
1 Shepard's Chip

Last edited:

HAR-Vee

First Post
Turanil said:
I will have to make maps for starships and stations. I don't want to draw by hand, and I am too lazy to use illustrator. I have asked on the General Discussion forum, but nobody seems to know apparently, but maybe you do: does anyone here knows where to download or buy online a cool and easy to use maping software that would work well to design starship and stations deckplans? Would tiles from PDF found on RPGnow work well? I would like to have advice before spending money...

Thanks. :)
Dungeon Crafter with the sci-fi tiles is probably the best and simplest tool. In my opinion the results are mediocre, but it's hard to complain about free!

With some direction, I can produce items more like This. This image is scaled down which washes out some detail, but I can produce detailed deck plans at any scale. Time is the only enemy. This was created with Cosmographer (a "not free" and somewhat complex design tool).

Turanil

First Post
Yes, the sci-fi floor plans created with Dungeon Crafter are rather ridiculous (a starsip full of corridors only?), but I think I will go for that. Maybe I can design better maps.

Thanks.

Jay Purr

First Post
Game Rule and Equipent questions for Turanil

This post is referenced from Playing the Game, post #51 .

I am unclear on a game mechanic here with regard to using the Wealth Bonus for the purpose of a group purchase. For example, we are considering to rent a segment of the space station as part of our cover. Can we combine financial resources in a manner similar to the standard "Aid Another" action? Do we, as a group, have a "group" Wealth bonus to use for situations such as this?

Equipment question: We have departed already, so it may be too late for this to be doable. Does the ship have, or can we obtain, individual maneuver units for Extra-Vehicular Activities (EVAs)? Something similar to the integral maneuver unit that powered combat armor has. Rather common in the 'Belt, I suspect, since it is inefficient to take an entire ship from asteroid to asteroid when a single person in a vacc suit or powered armor can operate independently.

Caine Freerover

First Post
Jay Purr said:
This post is referenced from Playing the Game, post #51 .

I am unclear on a game mechanic here with regard to using the Wealth Bonus for the purpose of a group purchase. For example, we are considering to rent a segment of the space station as part of our cover. Can we combine financial resources in a manner similar to the standard "Aid Another" action? Do we, as a group, have a "group" Wealth bonus to use for situations such as this?

I imagine that the dummy corporation has a wealth bonus of its own. I don't know if it's high enough to rent a space station segment, but since many of the companies already there are on the fringes of respectability, I would think its not too expensive as these things go.

Caine

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads