• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 future setting?

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Is there any chance that WotC will do a full on setting for D20 future? I'd like to see all the alien races thrown into a new setting (all the star frontiers and Star*Drive aliens) mixed into a big setting.

Any other good space opera d20 future settings out there? Not seeing much on the shelves. Looking for something like Star*Drive...but with more...OOMPH! Something about that setting just doesn't quite click for me. Close...but not quite there.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I suspect that they're affraid of stepping on their Star Wars books. Sure, they aren't making any more but the old ones are still for sale.

Psion

Adventurer
There are two main options for d20 future setting.

1) Prometheus Rising. A bit more of a Buck Rogers vibe. By RPGobjects.
2) Dawning Star. Sort of a serenity/earth 2/Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri "post earth colonist" feel.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I found Prometheus Rising to be a more plausible sort of Transhuman Space, rather than Buck Rogers-ish. It's just set in the Solar System in the future. I like it a lot, but only PDF, and more of a outline (albeit a big outline) and a fully fleshed out setting.

Dawning Star is about the only real choice of a print one, but it's also largely focused on one solar system, albeit one far, far away, after the Earth gets mysteriously destroyed. Very good but kind of a downer.

I really wish there was a space opera-ish, but the d20 Future rules do seem more aimed at low-ish tech stuff.

There's apparently a space opera-ish setting in the works for Spycraft, though since every apparently looks like what the people from the future did on South Park, I'm not sure I find it too appealing.

kingpaul

First Post
Ghost2020 said:
Is there any chance that WotC will do a full on setting for D20 future? I'd like to see all the alien races thrown into a new setting (all the star frontiers and Star*Drive aliens) mixed into a big setting.
They're coming out with d20 Dark Matter in September of this year.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Well, Traveller d20 isn't interesting enough. Besides, I'd rather use my d20 future rule sets for the setting.

Prime Directive d20...not a fan of Star Trek Original series.

Fading Suns...had the original system and heard the d20 wasn't much better. The setting is ok, too Dune-ish.

Trinity....I like the storyteller version, and the d20 version didn't convert very well.

I suppose I could just go back to Alternity Star*Drive or just convert everything over to d20.

Basically, I just want a big, busy space-opera setting. Lots of conflicts, maybe a mysterious 'big bad' and what not. Yes, I could go for Babylon 5, but my friends want something that's not a licensed property.

Also, Dark*Matter is an X-Files setting. So that doesn't quite fit the bill. I'll buy it though, it's a fun setting.

So we could use a big space opera setting. I'm looking at Terran Empire for Hero, some decent ideas there.

Ghost2020 said:
Basically, I just want a big, busy space-opera setting. Lots of conflicts, maybe a mysterious 'big bad' and what not. Yes, I could go for Babylon 5, but my friends want something that's not a licensed property.
It really depends on what you mean by space opera. Our upcoming book for Dawning Star is Helios Rising, which details the entire Helios System in the span of 550+ pages, with dozens of adventure ideas, mapped locales, etc. You can download some of the preview for HR from the site and see if it's to your liking. (Not to mention picking up a lot of freebies you could use no matter what you decide.) If you're looking for a campaign that will span several systems, obviously it won't do on its own (though you could easily use it for one of your systems). And we definitely have a "mysterious 'big bad'" in the form of the vaasi, who get 100 pages or so of treatment alone.

In reference to the other campaigns mentioned above, a lot of the "d20" settings are not powered by d20 Future as you requested in the initial post. Dawning Star remains (to my knowledge) the only full-scale sci-fi setting built on d20 Modern and powered by d20 Future.

Vigilance

Explorer
Justin D. Jacobson said:
In reference to the other campaigns mentioned above, a lot of the "d20" settings are not powered by d20 Future as you requested in the initial post. Dawning Star remains (to my knowledge) the only full-scale sci-fi setting built on d20 Modern and powered by d20 Future.

Prometheus Rising is built entirely from the Modern and Future core rules.

Chuck

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads