• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 future setting?

Ghost2020

Adventurer
I know that Traveller is one of the oldest and most developed settings, but it just never gave me that moment where I said, " I need to play this game."

I've never played a game of it, but my exposure comes from the GURPS supplements for Traveller. It always felt that it was always about politics, merchants and economics. I never got that ACTION feel from it. The aliens didn't really appeal to me either. This isn't to say it's bad or uninteresting...obviously something that hangs around this long is doing something right. It's just not clicking for me. That's all, nothing else.

So essentially, I'd love to see a Star*Drive, Star Frontiers or an all new WotC setting, that takes advantage of all the aliens, mecha, rules, mutants, etc. from d20 Future and other supplements.

Johnny Angel

Explorer
Ghost2020 said:
Well, Traveller d20 isn't interesting enough. Besides, I'd rather use my d20 future rule sets for the setting.

Prime Directive d20...not a fan of Star Trek Original series.

Fading Suns...had the original system and heard the d20 wasn't much better. The setting is ok, too Dune-ish.

Trinity....I like the storyteller version, and the d20 version didn't convert very well.

I suppose I could just go back to Alternity Star*Drive or just convert everything over to d20.

Basically, I just want a big, busy space-opera setting. Lots of conflicts, maybe a mysterious 'big bad' and what not. Yes, I could go for Babylon 5, but my friends want something that's not a licensed property.

Also, Dark*Matter is an X-Files setting. So that doesn't quite fit the bill. I'll buy it though, it's a fun setting.

So we could use a big space opera setting. I'm looking at Terran Empire for Hero, some decent ideas there.

Gosh, there's just no pleasing you. =)

Dawning Star has the distinct advantage that it's being supported with modules and supplements in the hopper, the way game companies used to do. The supplemental rules included make for a lot of cowboy and Tales of the Gold Monkey kind of feel to it while the actual adventures released to date are focused on pre-cursor technology-indistinguishable-from-magic, which involves ruins exploration that I would describe as Indiana Jones-like. Basically, very it lends itself well to a pulpy/serial feel.

Prometheus Rising is the first place you want to look if you're thinking of doing a campaign within the solar system. That is, let's face it, a somewhat more realistic model. By the time we get around to breaking the light barrier we'll have probably already expanded across what real estate we can find in orbit around Sol. It's not ready-to-play -- you are on your own to come up with maps, adventures and the like. But it's got a lot of crunch. That's what RPGObjects does. It has genetically engineered races, clones, a feat-based psionics system and starships.

I like the Star*Drive system myself, and have put some effort into making it playable under d20 Future rules. My kitbash includes both Dawning Star and Prometheus Rising. Dawning Star has supplemental rules that are useful, but what is particularly useful is that they have released science fiction adventures native to d20 Future. I have been running the 'Shadow' scenarios relocated to Yellow Sky in the Verge. You put everybody in e-suits, you make the bad guys into Children of the Cosimir, badda bing. The Blood & Space and Blood & Circuits stuff really fills out the ruleset. I used its psionics system to make the Hatire Mind Knights the party met, and later I'll use the clone archetypes when dealing with the Borealins and the genetic engineering stuff when dealing with the Thuldans.

So, basically, that's my recommendation. Star*Drive, Dawning Star adventures, Blood & Space rules. Hopefully when Helios Rising finally comes out Blue Devil will get back to working on the whopping adventure supplement that's supposed to take you from first to 20th level.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Ghost2020 said:
Is there any chance that WotC will do a full on setting for D20 future? I'd like to see all the alien races thrown into a new setting (all the star frontiers and Star*Drive aliens) mixed into a big setting.

Any other good space opera d20 future settings out there? Not seeing much on the shelves. Looking for something like Star*Drive...but with more...OOMPH! Something about that setting just doesn't quite click for me. Close...but not quite there.
I didn't realize the industry is using YOU as a benchmark for which d20 futuristic campaign setting product is a hot sell.

:p

Anyhoo, WotC could use a boost by making a full-version d20 Future setting. My money's on Star*Drive, though it would hurt them Bughunter fans out there.

;)

The Shaman

First Post
Ghost2020 said:
I know that Traveller is one of the oldest and most developed settings, but it just never gave me that moment where I said, " I need to play this game."

I've never played a game of it, but my exposure comes from the GURPS supplements for Traveller. It always felt that it was always about politics, merchants and economics. I never got that ACTION feel from it. The aliens didn't really appeal to me either. This isn't to say it's bad or uninteresting...obviously something that hangs around this long is doing something right. It's just not clicking for me. That's all, nothing else.
Interesting. I'm not a fan of GURPS in general, but as a classic Traveller gamer I'm really not a fan of the GURPS version of it, for largely the same reasons: too much gearheading, trying to see how many canonical angels can be made to dance on the head of a pin.

If you can find anyone who runs one of the earlier, GDW editions, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
I didn't realize the industry is using YOU as a benchmark for which d20 futuristic campaign setting product is a hot sell.

:p

Good lord I hope not! Otherwise, it'd be a damned boring industry. :lol:

Vigilance said:
Prometheus Rising is built entirely from the Modern and Future core rules.

Chuck
That's where my "full-scale" caveat comes into play. I was under the impression that PR was not a full-scale setting but more of a campaign model. IIRC, it's about 50 pages. If I'm mistaken, my apologies, and I guess I'll have to switch from "only" to "first".

C. Baize

First Post
Ghost2020 said:

So essentially, I'd love to see a Star*Drive, Star Frontiers or an all new WotC setting, that takes advantage of all the aliens, mecha, rules, mutants, etc. from d20 Future and other supplements.

I know what I'd like to see...
An official SpaceMaster (by Iron Crown Enterprises) D20 Future setting.
Talk about chock full of plotted setting goodness..... MMMMMmmmmm....

Taurren

First Post
C. Baize said:
I know what I'd like to see...
An official SpaceMaster (by Iron Crown Enterprises) D20 Future setting.
Talk about chock full of plotted setting goodness..... MMMMMmmmmm....

oh damn ... that would be nice. House Colos, the DK, Jade London and the Truth Sybillis ... CRAP! Now you've got me thinking.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads