• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Menace Manual - Is it worth buying?

psychognome

First Post
I'll have to agree with mostly everything posted here. The Menace Manual has been my best gaming investment for a long time. Because of it I'm actually tempted to drop my current D&D 3.5 campaign in favor of a d20 Modern campaign. :D

PosterBoy

First Post
psychognome said:
I'll have to agree with mostly everything posted here. The Menace Manual has been my best gaming investment for a long time. Because of it I'm actually tempted to drop my current D&D 3.5 campaign in favor of a d20 Modern campaign. :D

I have to agree as well. I have good book (as it UA). In general, I think the d20 modern material put out by WOTC is better than their Fantasy stuff.

Buddha the DM

Explorer
I have to agree with everyone else. The Menace Manual really is a superb book. The sheer variety of monsters for use in a modern world campaign is great. Time to put the fear back into the players!

Emiricol

Holy cow! I just ordered it off Amazon, and didn't even look at the price, then came in here. I wondered if it was worth it, and I am /so/ glad the people here think so. Considering the bonus surprise of having saved $20 on it, I am doubly happy :)

Maethras

First Post
I really like the book. I prefer it to most any other "list o' creatures n' stuff" book there is, period. It is divided into understandable sections, and contains a lot of things you'd actually consider using. Normal people, for example.

If I have a pet peeve, it's with the Alien Technology(tm). Our star-faring nemeses, while holding the ability to apparently span vast distances of space to visit Earth, are doing so simply because their Plasma and Render and other guns suck to high heaven and they need to loot a few gun stores (assuming they can win the firefight there). These things are almost all heavier than normal firearms, and have immensely shorter range increments, vastly smaller ammunition capacities, and deal damage that is right on par, generally, with a typical firearm.

The way they stand, you should really be more afraid if an alien picks up an M-16 than if they use their Alien Technology(tm) on you. There are a few exceptions (some of their armor is very interesting and I think the Greys/Fraal have at least *one* interesting weapon), but for the most part the Alien Guns are pretty terrible, and certainly not worth training in their use (requiring a special feat) though that's a secondary matter compared to the fear that should be felt from having one aimed at you.

But it's a small matter. All in all, I still am very pleased with the book.

Krieg

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
Nice price to bad I already own it... How do people find these deals on Amazon? Is there a specials link?

It was just pure luck on my part, I couldn't remember what Amazon was selling it for & decided to check. FWIW it was a good bit higher the last time I had looked...

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
The GM characters and GM Heroic characters section is amazing and my favorite part of the book.

This ain't just a Modern Monster Manual. There are monsters, NPCs, and variousl organizations/cults/conspiracies etc.

Psychic Skeksis

First Post
Maethras said:
If I have a pet peeve, it's with the Alien Technology(tm). Our star-faring nemeses, while holding the ability to apparently span vast distances of space to visit Earth, are doing so simply because their Plasma and Render and other guns suck to high heaven and they need to loot a few gun stores (assuming they can win the firefight there). .

Heh heh. The other thing that seems a bit silly is that "Alien Craft Operation" and "Alien Weapons Proficiency" are feats. So if you have these two feats, in other words, you are proficient in the use of ANY spacecraft or weapon NOT designed on Earth! That's right, folks...ANY spacecraft or weapon FROM THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!

WOW! :rolleyes:

In all fairness though, these feats are "not available to characters without the GM's permission" (p.10) and really aren't intended to be comprehensive or realistic. I suppose it's as plausible as the idea that in Faerun everyone speaks a language called "Common." :D

Let's wait for d20 Future...then things will get interesting...

Remove ads