d20 Minigames....

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I'd really like to see some of these. Basically, small, 1 book games like found in the new Polyhedron.

Or something like AEG's "Spycraft Lite". Maybe a bit bigger - I think about 60-64 pages.

Not that Polyhedron is bad, but a) they seem to have a tendency to rewrite the settings of old games I liked (which is something that irks me), b) their stuff isn't open content c) they seem to use the VP/WP system, which also isn't open, and makes the classes out of sync with regular d20.

Actually, Avalance Press seems to be trying to do this with some of their historical adventure modules, but their execution leaves something to be desired...

Ranger REG

Explorer
a) I don't mind the rewrite, unless they're terrible. It's a good way to bring old settings and games up to date and into the d20 System. Still, I reserve the right to disagree with some or all aspect of the new game design. Then again, I may pick it apart, separate the suitable rules mechanics from the unsuitable, and design my own.

b) Unless you're in the publishing business, it shouldn't matter to a gamer. If you want a fan web site for the mini-game, you can do so, as long it remains a fan web site, and nothing commercial.

c) At this time, VP/WP is the property of WotC. WotC also owns Polyhedron and other notable periodicals. The employees of WotC always gets the green light when using any of WotC's closed content for their game, as long as the game remains WotC's property as well.

But do expect VP/WP system to appear in the SRD sometime soon (if anything, before the end of this year 2002).

As for classes out of sync with other d20 games, I have no qualm about it. Each game should be standalone which happens to use the d20 System. The game designer should not be overly concern if their classes can fit into other d20 games like D&D seamlessly or vice versa.

It is better to promote and encourage rules familiarity rather than rules compatibility.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I think it's a bit unfair to say that Poly has a tendancy to re-do old stuff. Neither of the two games we've published so far are revisions of existing TSR properties. True enough, our next one is, and there are plans for Gamma World some time in the nebulous future, but even then two games out of six annually doesn't strike me as a trend.

Also, simply because two of our games have used the wounds/vitality system does not mean that all of them will. In fact, all of them won't. If someone comes up with a third system that seems really really cool, we may use that. I want Polyhedron to be a place where people try out some interesting rules quirks.

The company has decided to have the SRD be our only official means of releasing OGC. I stand by that decision.

--Erik Mona
Editor, Polyhedron

I like the mini-games, so far they have been real cool and origanal, there is cool stuff on the way. What's not to be happy about? I dislike the WP/VP thing very much, for me it's HP all the way,but it's really something minor engough to shug off. I sure wouldn't want to miss out on something as cool as shadow chasers or d20 modern just because i don't like WP/VP, after all thats what house rules are for.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I like both character health point systems (HP and VP/WP). Frankly one is tad lethal than the other (the effect of the injuries and trauma you accumulated will affect your actions), while the other is easier on the accounting (when you fall to zero, then you go down, otherwise you are still vigorous and energetic to the end).

I would like to see the third system, and wonder if it is based on Wound Level mechanics you see in Vampire: The Masquerade, MechWarrior: The BattleTech Role-Playing Game, LUG's Star Trek Role Playing Games (acquired by WotC), etc.

I know that Polyhedron is not a platform to revive old settings and property that WotC have acquired from other companies, but also a testbed platform for new rules or a new games.

BTW, there is no doubt that some mini-games will catch on as favorites among Poly subscribers as well as magazine buyers. I wonder if you have a plan of releasing them as archive CD-ROM in the future (far or near is your discretion). But please don't use ESD.

Voneth

First Post
trancejeremy said:
b) their stuff isn't open content c) they seem to use the VP/WP system, which also isn't open, and makes the classes out of sync with regular d20.

I've run the same character classes with and without vp, there isn't any difference between hp and converted vp performance. If one wants to covert vp to hp. Just ingnore WP and then roll up HP as per VP.

And I am sort of lost, what's the obstacle to runing a game that's not Open Content?

Unless one is either planning on publishing the game, wanting to download the bare bones rules or post something wholesale on the 'Net, OC doesn't change or limit what a person can do with their personal games at home or in a game store.

No OC basicly means one has to buy or have a friend who got a copy of the mag.

Last edited:

Remove ads