d20 Modern/Future and Dragonstar

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Question:

Has anyone done any work towards converting Dragonstar to d20 Modern? It's something that I'm really interested in pursuing.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Question:

Has anyone done any work towards converting Dragonstar to d20 Modern? It's something that I'm really interested in pursuing.

Yes, no, and yes.

Yes, some people have,

but

I've personally never been impressed in any such efforts,

However,

In considering my post-4e gaming, I thought about how going back to some old favorites with a "free hand" could make those games better. It occurred to me that Dragonstar could be very trivially done by combining Dragonstar, D20 modern, D20 future, and Fantastic Classes.

Fantastic Classes, if you missed it, was a third party product that introduces a new selection of "* Hero" classes that emulate D&D base classes and core prestige classes:

EN World PDF Store - Big Finger Games - POSTMODERN: Fantastic Classes

Negflar2099

Explorer
I've posted on this before and the response was there are people who are doing it but it's a massive project. It would be cool though. We'll see.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
In considering my post-4e gaming, I thought about how going back to some old favorites with a "free hand" could make those games better. It occurred to me that Dragonstar could be very trivially done by combining Dragonstar, D20 modern, D20 future, and Fantastic Classes.
That is sort of my goal. To construct a Dragonstar ruleset based on d20 Modern instead of v.3.5. D20 Modern and d20 Future would be the starting point. I'll probably re-invent the Alternity "careers" to work within the d20 Modern framework and then redo the unique Dragonstar races, classes, and prestige classes to fit within that mold. Basically, I'm thinking that I'll end up with the following as the new Dragonstar d20 Modern core classes...

• Combat Spec
  • Diplomat
  • Free Agent
  • Mechanist (instead of Tech Op)
  • Mindwalker
  • Pilot
It's still just an idea at this point. Six core classes is good starting point. This version of Dragonstar would be more of a hard science campaign. Magic and psionics would be based on what is in the d20 Modern RPG hardcover. Existing Dragonstar magic and psionics would have to be converted to that ruleset.

Fantastic Classes, if you missed it, was a third party product that introduces a new selection of "* Hero" classes that emulate D&D base classes and core prestige classes:

EN World PDF Store - Big Finger Games - POSTMODERN: Fantastic Classes
That's an interesting little PDF, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I've posted on this before and the response was there are people who are doing it but it's a massive project. It would be cool though. We'll see.
I agree that if you were going to convert "everything" over to d20 Modern then it would be a massive undertaking. However, I think that trying to covert everything would be counterproductive. It would take way to long. Instead, I think it's a better idea to cherry pick the best ideas from Dragonstar and covert only those things. Everything else can be based on material that already exists for d20 Modern.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Forked from: The Ultimate d20 Gamma World Thread

Knightfall1972 said:
Alternity Careers as d20 Modern Classes​

Combat Spec [based on Sammy Grimes Gamma World d20]
1. Talent, Improved Weapon Focus
2. Bonus Feat
3. Bonus Feat
4. Talent
5. Bonus Feat
6. Bonus Feat
7. Talent
8. Bonus Feat
9. Bonus Feat
10. Talent

Diplomat [based on Sammy Grimes Gamma World d20]
1. Acquire Contact, Adaptive Learning
2. Command +1
3. Inspire Confidence +1, Talent
4. Adaptive Learning, Bonus Feat
5. Acquire Contact, Command +2
6. Inspire Confidence +2
7. Adaptive Learning, Bonus Feat
8. Command +3, Talent
9. Acquire Contact, Inspire Confidence +1
10. Adaptive Learning, Bonus Feat

Tech Op (i.e. Mechanist)
1. Accelerated Learning, Systems Familiarity
2. Bonus Feat
3. Talent
4. Bonus Feat
5. Talent, Systems Familiarity
6. Bonus Feat
7. Talent
8. Bonus Feat
9. Talent, Systems Familiarity
10. Bonus Feat

I figured I'd cross post this here. I'd originally intended to design these classes for Gamma World. Now, however, I'm going to design them for Dragonstar. To these I'll be adding the Free Agent, Mindwalker, and Pilot. Here is the initial Free Agent progression...

Free Agent [based on Sammy Grimes Gamma World d20]
1. Bonus Feat, Extra Action Points, Save Bonus
2. Talent
3. Bonus Feat
4. Talent
5. Bonus Feat, Save Bonus Increase
6. Talent
7. Bonus Feat
8. Talent
9. Bonus Feat, Save Bonus Increase
10. Talent

Last edited: