[D20 Modern] Stargate SG-1 Conversion ideas

Bagpuss

Legend
I thought I'd start a topic for ideas for converting D20 Modern for a Stargate SG-1 campaign. Depending on how it goes (and where you are up to in viewing) there could be spoliers for the TV-series, so you have been warned.

Anyway I was just going to throw some ideas out there and see who bites (Mistwell for a start I hope).

The only other race I can see for PC's, if you limit it to the earlier seasons is Jaffa, so I sketched out some ideas for a Jaffa the other day.

+2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
The symbiote and physical training since youth lead them to be more resistant to fatigue and illness. Being raise to be a servant, they tend not to be as comfortable speaking in social situations.

Symbiote (Ex): Due to the symbiote living inside them, replacing their own immune system. They recover from toxins and illness much faster than normal humans, halve (rounding down) the damage from any poison or diesease.

[I'm not sure if Jaffa recover from physical injury quicker than humans (again thanks to the symbiote) I think they do, if so I would reflect this as a bonus hit point/per level recovered each day. So for complete bed rest they would recover 3 hp/level per day (instead of the normal 2).]

If the symbiote should die, Jaffa will suffer from a 1 point of Constition damage per hour until they either die or a new symbiote is implanted. (If the symbiote becomes seriously ill the Jaffa could suffer the same effects but over an extended period at the GM's discression.)

Note: As a none human race Jaffa only get to select one feat at first level, not the usual two humans get.

Things I'm toying with (need to see more episodes)

Considering immunity to disease instead of less damage and/or faster recovery (not sure if this is true for Jaffa or just Goa'ulds).

I'd also have Jaffa as a advanced class, but I haven't worked out the details of that.

Anyway please use this topic for all things Stargate...

Bagpuss

Legend
Oh yeah I was thinking of having the campaign starting at a minimum of 5th level, to reflect the fact characters would have to have some level of experience in their field to be selected for the SG program.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
For those not familiar with Stargate, I hope to make the game easily understood for anyone who wants to adventure on other worlds using the d20M rules and a present-day time frame. The show really is perfect for a d20M game. It involves four people (A Military officer, a scientist, a Neogtiator/Archeologist, and an Alien combat-type) who work for a secret government organization (the "SGC") who are sent through an alien Gate device to travel on short missions to other planets, often involving combat, negotiation, and exploration, and then return to earth through a gate on the alien planet (often with loot, new allies, or data for the next mission). They have a major enemy out there in the universe (the "Goa'uld"), a few major allies, and hudnreds of minor enemies, allies, and challenges.

My initial thoughts are that the additional "races" will be advanced classes. I would want all SGC members to start as humans (though not necessarily from Earth). Advanced classes would include the Jaffa and To'kra, as well as a few others. I am not including the Nox, Asgards, Ancients, Ferlings, Tolen, Ascendants, or other advanced races as Advanced classes, since these folks are way to powerful to be PCs (though they make excellent NPCs for the "creature" section).

Obviously, the Advanced Classes will involve a role playing aspect to acquiring the advanced class (since, for the Jaffa example, you cannot just announce you have a larval Goa'uld implant and make it so - you probably want to go to Chulak and negotiate or steal one), and GMs usually love that sort of stuff anyway.

I would not want to force people to start at 5th level. In fact, not all the people through the gate are experienced military professionals even in the show (nor are alien members of the SGC typical). With the increased number of initial feats players get in d20M (2 for first level, plus 1 for occupation usually, plus 1 Talent), combined with a more liberal equipment requisitions program from the SGC base, you could be a pretty effective military combatant (or scientist, or archeologist, or brawler, or negotiator, etc...) at first level - enough so that you could be recruited into the SGC I believe.

It also means that for beginning level players, they will probably be travelling to planets that were already partially explored by a prior SG team. That way, you won't have first level smart heros going up against Goa'uld Death Gliders on their first mission. For example, the PCs could be making contact with a village already established as mostly friendly, and attempting to negotiate a treaty for trade of Naquadah for medicine. As a gesture of good faith, or to protect the deal, the PCs could help the village by fending off a local attack of bandits, or a wild pack of alien dog-creatures, or something similar.

You can find a nice list ripe for converstion to a creature collection here:
http://trickster.org/arduinna/stargate/miscraces.html

Any help, discussion, comments, criticsm, etc.. would be great!

Last edited:

takyris

First Post
How were you planning to handle Zats? The staff weapon does simple fire damage, but Zats are tricky... a single hit should stun, but not kill, almost anyone, and two hits is a kill on anyone capable of being stunned.

Maybe 1d4 electrical, plus Fort Save DC15 to avoid being paralyzed for 4d6 rounds? (Beat 15 but not 25 and you only have partial actions for 2d6 rounds...)

A second hit within one minute on a creature who is paralyzed or at only-partials requires a Fort Save DC15 to avoid being killed?

This makes it like a taser, but more powerful. I'd also give it a weak range, so that it doesn't automatically rule the game. And people on the show miss a lot with the things, except at close range.

-Tacky

Kenpo Wolf

First Post
I agree that StarGate has a wealth of ideas that could be tapped. I'm working on a campaign called SGE, other wise known as StarGate Extreme, where all the members of the team are meta humans of some sort. The books I'm making use of are as follows

Modern
Spycraft
Alternity Core
Star Wars
Traveller
D&D Core

In my campaign, the humans have aligned with the Fraal, Mechalus and a couple of newly named races out of D&D. The antagonists are still the Goa'uld and they are aligned with the Illithid, Sesheyans, Weren and the Orcs.

As the campaign begins, The Goa'uld has launched a virus into the earth's atmosphere wich turned the humans into either zombies, meta humans or did'nt infect them at all.

Mistwell

takyris said:
How were you planning to handle Zats? The staff weapon does simple fire damage, but Zats are tricky... a single hit should stun, but not kill, almost anyone, and two hits is a kill on anyone capable of being stunned.

Maybe 1d4 electrical, plus Fort Save DC15 to avoid being paralyzed for 4d6 rounds? (Beat 15 but not 25 and you only have partial actions for 2d6 rounds...)

A second hit within one minute on a creature who is paralyzed or at only-partials requires a Fort Save DC15 to avoid being killed?

This makes it like a taser, but more powerful. I'd also give it a weak range, so that it doesn't automatically rule the game. And people on the show miss a lot with the things, except at close range.

-Tacky

First, obviously all Goa'uld weapons are pretty rare, and cannot be requisitioned from the SGC. The PCs are going to have to acquire these items on their own. Most will require an exotic weapon proficiency to use, possible one feat that covers all "Alien:Goa'uld" weapons.

I think your rules on the Zat gun are pretty good. Here is what i have so far.

Zat'nik'tel ("zat" or "zat gun"): Goa'uld weapon using a different form of energy from a staff weapon, shooting an electrical charge. One of the two primary weapons (along with the Staff weapon) of the Jaffa.

First Shot: I am mulling over two variations. 1) No damage, but a hit requires a Fort save or paralyzed for 4d6 rounds (like you suggested); 2) Another approach would make it cause nonlethal damage of a certain amount, like 3d6 or something. That way, if a hit does nonlethal damage in excess of your Con score, you just follow the nonlethal damage rules (Fort save DC 15, sucess equals daze 1 round, failure equals unconcious 1d4+1 rounds).

Second shot: It's that second shot that is so tricky. An instant kill is a lot to handle (and the third shot is an instant disintegrate, so no using a sarcophogus or healing disk to bring them back). I think a second shot within 1d4 rounds of a first shot hit that caused unconciousness would require another Fort save 15 or death. Pretty powerful, but there are some hurdles to overcome before you get to that point.

Third Shot: Probably follows disintegration ray rules from D&D PHB, with some modifications. I have not gotten that far, yet.

I agree on the poor range. In fact, I think that is why the staff weapons exist, for longer range. Otherwise, why wouldn't all Jaffa just use a Zat to get an instant kill with a second shot, instead of just the heavy (but sometimes survivable) damage of a staff weapon.

Another issue is that Zats seem to have an effect on objects, as well as people. I need to figure out what the "disrupts electrical devices" effect really amounts to, though I have some thoughts already on the subject from similar D&D items.

Here is what I have so far for the staff weapon:

Staff weapon (large weapon): Long, spear-like weapon carried by Jaffa that uses an energy crystal for power and shoots a blast of very hot energy. One of the two primary weapons (along with the Zat'nik'tel) of the Jaffa. Causes 2d8 (?) in fire damage to a target. Use requires a full round action, since each shot requires cranking the device to load a charge.

Some other interesting Goa'uld weapons, and what I have so far on them:

Cannon (Huge weapon): Fires a ball of fire at targets. Type 1 - smaller type is mounted on death gliders and can be carried separately by a warrior if need be; Type 2 - the larger type is mounted on a tripod, either at waist-level or in a tower, and used for more massive destruction.

Intars (upgrade to any Human gun): Weapons used in training. They can take the form of any weapon, and use a glowing crystal power source easily spotted (DC 10). Intar weapons cause nonlethal damage only, in an amount equal to the base damage of the upgraded gun. (It is possible I will change this to a paralysis effect, like a taser).

Nish'ta: A biological compound that once inhaled infects all body tissue and makes the mind highly suggestible, similar to a suggestion spell. Its effects can be reversed by an electrical shock (such as from a Zat gun) after it has infected all tissues (approximately one hour); any earlier, and it will reinfect the host. Once the effects of the nish'ta are completely reversed, the host becomes immune.

Ribbon device: A jewel set in hand jewelry so that it is placed in the wearer's palm, controlled mentally by the wearer. Uses a modified version of the power source for a staff weapon, and channels energy through amplification crystals, using thought control amplified with emotion (this may be a psi device, I need to investigate it further). The user decides if the damage is lethal or nonlethal (2d4 lethal, 2d8 nonlethal). Either use can, at the users option, cause the target to make a Reflex save (DC equal to attack?) or be bull-rushed back in accordance with the bullrush rules. A user of a Ribbon device can also send a weak telepathic message to a target within 5' feet.

Ring weapon: Worn like a ring. One touch expands it on the inside of the hand (follows draw-weapon rules); pointing the hand at someone (and presumably using mental control?) shoots a laser for 2d6(?) damage.

Shock grenades: Causes blindness and 3d6 in nonlethal damage to targets in range, following grenade rules.

Tacluchnatagamuntoron, or "tac": a Goa'uld automatic remote weapon. These devices are attached to a wall, ceiling, floor, or other solid flat surface, and triggered to automatically fire a laser beam at any living thing that approaches. Its shots have a +5(?) attack, and do 2d6(?) damage.

Tal'vak acid: a small globule is sufficient to slowly burn all the way through a human body. It cauterizes the wound as it goes, but small amounts often get into the bloodstream anyway, and begin to spread. Usually used as a torture device. A counteragent is also available, which neutralizes the acid and numbs the pain. [I have no rules for this item yet]

Torture stick: A trident used to shock people, sending gold-colored energy streaming out the mouth and eyes. Causes 2d4 in painful but nonlethal damage, and requires a Fort Save (DC 10 plus nonlethal damage dealt?) or be stunned for 2d6 rounds.

Transphase Eradication Rod (TER): Originally develloped to provide an effective method of detecting and damaging the Reetou, this device has two functions. First, it emmits a harmless laser that, on a successful ranged touch attack, detect any invisible, hidden, or otherwise concealed target it strikes (though not through solid objects, so cover still helps against it). A second function fires a blast of fire at any target previously painted with the laser, for 2d4 damage. The detection function requires a move action, while firing requires an attack action.

Bagpuss

Legend
Mistwell said:
My initial thoughts are that the additional "races" will be advanced classes.

Thinking about it I think the Jaffa and Tok'ra might be better done as Templates, just for the symbiotes effects, and the Jaffa Training as an Advanced Class as well.

Also even an Adult with limited experience is 3rd level, so I would probably make that the absolute minimum. I doubt there is anyone straight out of boot camp serving on the base. Most of the scientist are experts in their fields so I would consider 5th level the norm to be considered for the project, 3rd level the minimum and 1st a very rare exception with specific circumstances.

A 3rd level start means if the Jaffa and Tok'ra templates add an effective level or two they would still be a valid starting option and balanced with the rest of the party.

Mistwell

Bagpuss said:

Thinking about it I think the Jaffa and Tok'ra might be better done as Templates, just for the symbiotes effects, and the Jaffa Training as an Advanced Class as well.

Also even an Adult with limited experience is 3rd level, so I would probably make that the absolute minimum. I doubt there is anyone straight out of boot camp serving on the base. Most of the scientist are experts in their fields so I would consider 5th level the norm to be considered for the project, 3rd level the minimum and 1st a very rare exception with specific circumstances.

A 3rd level start means if the Jaffa and Tok'ra templates add an effective level or two they would still be a valid starting option and balanced with the rest of the party.

I think you are right about the template idea. Probably better to have a template for Larval Implantation, and a template for Adult Implantation, and then make Jaffa, Tok'ra, and Goa'uld advanced classes.

Unseelie

First Post
Mistwell said:
First, obviously all Goa'uld weapons are pretty rare, and cannot be requisitioned from the SGC. The PCs are going to have to acquire these items on their own. Most will require an exotic weapon proficiency to use, possible one feat that covers all "Alien:Goa'uld" weapons.

First Shot: I am mulling over two variations. 1) No damage, but a hit requires a Fort save or paralyzed for 4d6 rounds (like you suggested); 2) Another approach would make it cause nonlethal damage of a certain amount, like 3d6 or something. That way, if a hit does nonlethal damage in excess of your Con score, you just follow the nonlethal damage rules (Fort save DC 15, sucess equals daze 1 round, failure equals unconcious 1d4+1 rounds).

Second shot: It's that second shot that is so tricky. An instant kill is a lot to handle (and the third shot is an instant disintegrate, so no using a sarcophogus or healing disk to bring them back). I think a second shot within 1d4 rounds of a first shot hit that caused unconciousness would require another Fort save 15 or death. Pretty powerful, but there are some hurdles to overcome before you get to that point.

Third Shot: Probably follows disintegration ray rules from D&D PHB, with some modifications. I have not gotten that far, yet.

I agree on the poor range. In fact, I think that is why the staff weapons exist, for longer range. Otherwise, why wouldn't all Jaffa just use a Zat to get an instant kill with a second shot, instead of just the heavy (but sometimes survivable) damage of a staff weapon.

Another issue is that Zats seem to have an effect on objects, as well as people. I need to figure out what the "disrupts electrical devices" effect really amounts to, though I have some thoughts already on the subject from similar D&D items.

My thoughts are close to yours...

I'm not sure about the availablity approach... you could just as easily use a DC value for the requisition. They can request that Zat's be issued... but it's not assured.

First shot... some amount of nonlethal damage. If it exceeds CON, make a FORT save. This would also allow you to take shot at -4 to do lethal damage to objects I think. -4's not too bad against an immobile object.

Second Shot: They're unconscious, right? Coup de grace

Third Shot: Disintegrate - at that point it's almost a special effect.

Keep the range short, and Exotic Weapon prof. for sure.

Last edited:

Psyckosama

First Post
Mistwell said:
Here is what I have so far for the staff weapon:

Staff weapon (large weapon): Long, spear-like weapon carried by Jaffa that uses an energy crystal for power and shoots a blast of very hot energy. One of the two primary weapons (along with the Zat'nik'tel) of the Jaffa. Causes 2d8 (?) in fire damage to a target. Use requires a full round action, since each shot requires cranking the device to load a charge.

Some notes... They are semi-automatic and do not require to be cocked. They should count as a staff in melee combat, and they are kinda crappy when compaired to human weapons, they just lack Ammo limitations.

O'nell said it best...

*hefiting a staff* "This is a weapon of terror. It's meant to intimidate your enemy." *lifts a P90* "This is a weapon of WAR it is meant to KILL your enemy."

I'd give them pistol compariable range but 3d6 damage and they count as a staff or pole mace in combat.

Remove ads