D&D General D20 Modern, superheroes and "Cobretti effect".

In the first place, we have to make a distinction between the Cobra effect and what I call Cobretti effect.

The cobra effect it was when there were a reward in Indian for the British colonialism for killing cobras, and there were people who breeded it.

The name of Cobretti is for Marion Cobretti, Sylvester Stallone's character in the 1986 movie "Cobra". For a scene, the girl, the female main character, Ingrid Knudsen (played by Brigitte Nielsen) was the target of the main antagonist, the night slasher, and she only could hide and run away like in a survival horror videogame. Later Stallone with enough weapons and ammo could kill all the bad guys, the cult of the new dawn.

I suppose this is one of the best examples to explain the reason we have to fix the challenging rate or XP reward in a game set in modern age but with d20 system. Other example could the videogame "the evil within" where the main character, Sebastian Castellanos, couldn't face monsters in the beginning of the story until get enough weapons, ammo and improved skills.

In the first movie "Alien: the eight passenger" only one xenomorph was enough to kill almost all the crew, but in the second movie dozens, maybe hundreds, could be killed from other room with only the "automate sentry gun" or "sentry robot".

In a sword & sorcery rpg, a giant monster like a kaiju or a dinosaur would be a true nightmare for PCs, but in space opera, they are only walking target can be killed with only a shot, maybe with a drone controlled from other continent.

The d20 Modern isn't ready for the different levels of power. In a survival horror + investigation game a psycho killer with a knife is a true menace for unarmed civilians... until to be tricked to go toward he will be hit by a truck, but in a game like "Fortnite: save the world" PCs are soldiers with traps and weapons to kill dozens of husks and mist monsters. Or the dire wraiths, the arch-enemies of Rom, the space knight, with the same game stats they are very dangerous in a game like Call of Cthulhu but not in Action Man, G.I.Joe or transformers. And the thing is worse if we wanted to play superheroes with the original d20 system (and not Mutants & Masterminds). Hawkeye or Black Widow can't face so many skrulls as Thor, Hulk or Iron Man.

Last edited:

A Horror movie is just what you get when 1st level PCs attempt an 8th level adventure.

I don't see that it makes much difference between D20 Modern, SF or fantasy though. Over the course of Alien/Aliens Ripley levels up until she can go one-one against an Xenomorph queen, but that isn't really any different to Bilbo Baggins levelling up over the course of the Hobbit. In any Hero's Journey story the progression is much the same, irrespective of setting.

MarkB

Legend
I don't see that it makes much difference between D20 Modern, SF or fantasy though. Over the course of Alien/Aliens Ripley levels up until she can go one-one against an Xenomorph queen, but that isn't really any different to Bilbo Baggins levelling up over the course of the Hobbit. In any Hero's Journey story the progression is much the same, irrespective of setting.
I guess the difference is that gear can do a lot more to level the playing field in a modern game. You don't need to be high level to push a button.

Remove ads