• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern Vehicle Speeds

kreynolds

First Post
Steve Conan Trustrum said:
Did anyone else find the vehicle speeds in d20 Modern to be off in most instances?

To be honest, I haven't looked at them very closely. I've been more concerned with firearm ranges and my campaign setting than anything else right now, but I'm interested. Do you have any vehicles in mind?

Last edited:

dkilgo

First Post
I find that there ar ea few things that are sketchy with the details of equipment. ie: weapon ranges, vehicle speeds, defense rating.

Well, I designed an Excel sheet that converts mph into Character and Chase scale speeds, and the latter into mph, and some of the speeds are dead on while many are off.

As an example, the Black Hawk is listed with a speed of 325 (32), which translates into 185 mph. I've checked several sources, including the DoD, and they all place it below that, ranging from 178 mph [310 (31)] to 145 mph [260 (26)], depending upon the conditions. Now, taking for granted that multiple sources should have been checked for these and a result drawn by comparisons between these sources, we can see that the 185 mph is too high.

The M113A1 is listed at 62 (6), or 35 mph. The sources I've checked place the Gavin, in any of its many configurations, as ranging from 37 mph [70 (7)] to 41 mph [71 (7)].

I won't even get into the discrepancies with civilian vehicles, most of which are far off with both company and independently rated specs.

The differences in figures may seem inconsequential at first, but when one considers that these distances are going to be measured during combat, including during chases, the errors begin to have a large effect on game play.

The problem with this sort of thing is that it really depends upon the sources used, but the fact that the ones I provided are either above or below the ranges in all the sources I could find, thus meaning they can't even be considered an average of the available resources, makes me wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the information that is not so easily checked (Initiative, defense, hardness, etc.)

Ranger REG

Explorer
So what would be your corrected stats for these vehicles?

As for chases, I tend to avoid the grid-based rule, and use the abstract Spycraft chase rule.

keb

First Post
Minor nitpick: the M113 has never been officially referred to as the "Gavin". The "Gavin" name is solely the invention of one Mike Sparks.

dkilgo

First Post
keb said:
Minor nitpick: the M113 has never been officially referred to as the "Gavin". The "Gavin" name is solely the invention of one Mike Sparks.

Being former ARMY I know for certain that the nick name for the M113A1 is the "Bradley," or simply just, " 1-1-3."

Last edited:

Unseelie

First Post
No, the M113 is Vietnam era...

m2bradley.jpg

M2 Bradley AFV

M113ftd_copy.JPG

M113 APC

Merova

First Post
Ease of Play

Steve Conan Trustrum said:
Did anyone else find the vehicle speeds in d20 Modern to be off in most instances?

Yeah, but is it a problem? IMO, d20 Modern takes great liberty with "simulating reality" in order to provide an easily "gamable" experience. The major instances of such fudging are firearm ranges, wealth and vehicles. If you want realism, these elements of the system fail, but, if you want smooth mechanics to simulate a cinematic and adventurous reality, I find that they work.

My question is how do these speeds effect play? Do they simply fail at emulating "reality" or do they actually create an imbalance in the mechanical execution? They seem to fail only at emulation, IME. However, I haven't put the system to extensive playtest yet; in fact, I decided that the grid-based system wasn't to my liking when I first tried out the proto-ruleset in the Thunderball Rally mini-game.

For d20 vehicle action, I prefer Spycraft. So, YMMV. ;)

Thanks for reading!

---Merova

keb said:
Yes, but it is officially unofficially known as the Gavin. Even the Department of Defense recognizes this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads