• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 product coming out for CR and ECL?

Re: Re: Re: D20 product coming out for CR and ECL?

Kaelynna Thelanthra said:
Basically, I would like to scale down all its abilities by removing all its hit dice, feats, and skills, etc. scale the damage reduction, spell resistance, etc. and start the race that way. In that case, it's ECL wouldn't be 32 anymore.
That is something I'm working on right now for release soon. (Though not with an Epic monster obviously.) I should be announcing a playtest for it soon. (Depends on how close to finished I get by the end of this weekend.)

Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Game
http://www.throwingdice.com

edit: typoes, always typoes.

Last edited:

Re: Re: D20 product coming out for CR and ECL?

Hi Scott mate! :)

Grazzt said:
Here is WotC's formula for CRs as detailed in Dragon 276.

1- Take the monster's avg HP and divide by 4.5

2- To this add +1 or +2 for each SA or SQ the monster has.

3- Divide this total by 3. This gives the monster's CR.

You should try using that with the Epic Level Handbook! :D

Hi Kaelynna mate! :)

One more question. You've been extremely helpful!

Twas but a trifle. :D

Say 5/+1 damage reduction equals +1 level adjustment. Does this mean that 30/+7 damage reduction would equal +7 level adjustment?

Well I would suggest DR be +0.5 ECL per 5/+1. So 30/+7 would be +3.5 ECL.

The enhancement bonus needed to hit is the more important factor - though its probably best if you keep them in comparable increments.

I guess I'm wondering how this stuff scales on the low end as well. Does the leShay always have 42 SR or did it scale up to that amount (i.e., 14 + CR = 42; 14 + 28 = 42)?

According to WotC they (generally) assign the SR = CR+12

The way the ELH handles it playing the leShay as a nonstandard race PC or NPC is to take the monster already in there, look up it's ECL, then go from there. e.g., ECL for leShay = 32. Level 1 sorcerer leShay is treated as a level 33 character.

Basically, I would like to scale down all its abilities by removing all its hit dice, feats, and skills, etc. scale the damage reduction, spell resistance, etc. and start the race that way. In that case, it's ECL wouldn't be 32 anymore.

I have already done this with the revised edition of my ECL System. It should be simplicity itself to scale a monster down or build it up.

Ah well. I'm babbling now. I'll be patient and wait for your book Upper_Krust. :)

I appreciate the love! :D

Thanks for everything everyone!

We're all just one big happy family on these boards! :)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: Re: Re: D20 product coming out for CR and ECL?

Upper_Krust said:
Hi Scott mate! :)

You should try using that with the Epic Level Handbook! :D

I have and it isn't pretty. I don't believe they used the same formula for monsters in the ELH.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads