• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Sci-Fi

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
At first I really didn't like d20 Future.

But after a while it grew on me. I think one of its design plusses is one of the philosophies of D&D ... fast, casual gaming.

You can put together a game very quickly with the rules in the book. They're not PERFECT, but they're functional ... and if you know 3.5 and d20 Modern, then they're all pretty quickly picked up.

I've found that ease of understanding and teaching is valuable when you're trying to get a group to try something. I spent two months lovingly putting together Star*Drive for d20M to run an Externals War campaign ... that then fell apart on me before we ever got a chance to play. If I wanted to do Mecha I could do it tomorrow. It wouldn't be a perfect loving recreation of Battletech, but it would be there and done and we could play it right away.

--fje

Shadowdancer

First Post
Bront said:
Well, my next question is, is there anyone here that knows where I could try a PbP of T20?

Here is a link to the Yahoo Group where our T20 PbP game is run: Travellogue2

Contact Ron Vutpakdi, he is our current Ref. I don't know if we are currently looking for any players, but Ron can tell you. We have added new players regularly since we started in Nov. 2002. Here is a link to his public profile here on EN World; you can email him from there: Vutpakdi

Hope that helps.

KaosDevice

Explorer
This thread reminded me, is it just me or were there a whole bunch of people who really liked Dragonstar but not a whole lot of people playing it? It seems like one of those settings everyone bought almost exclusively to read and talk about but hardly ever play in.. :/

Turanil

First Post
I am one of those who bought Dragonstar without intent of ever playing it. I like the books themselves, but I don't want to play D&D in space; they should have removed all those classes with a heroic fantasy bent and replaced them with sci-fi classes. So I would prefer to play a futuristic D&D in using Bulldogs!

The_Universe

First Post
KaosDevice said:
This thread reminded me, is it just me or were there a whole bunch of people who really liked Dragonstar but not a whole lot of people playing it? It seems like one of those settings everyone bought almost exclusively to read and talk about but hardly ever play in.. :/
I'm one of those, as well. I briefly considered playing/DMing it, but I think that Star Wars fills my need for space fantasy rather nicely...

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
As I stated earlier, I love my DragonStar campaign. In fact, it is one of my fave campaigns of all the ones I've run since the advent of d20... right behind my original conversion of Isle of Dread.

The_Universe

First Post
amethal said:
Dawning Star looks interesting.

How important is d20 Future in running the game?

I already have d20 Modern, but I don't particularly want to buy d20 Future as well.

(Unless anyone thinks its such a great book I really ought to buy it even if I don't go for Dawning Star.)
I like D20 Future. It's a fun book to read that's full of ideas. I recommend it to anyone wanting to run a D20 Sci Fi game, *especially* if they like the D20 Modern ruleset.

MoonZar

Explorer
Crothian said:
I like the Babylon 5 game. It has few changes from the basic game and the changes are easy to get used and add something important to the game.

Babylon 5 is very nice setting for people know about the series.

But the HP limitation is so hard :) combat are so deadly that most people try to avoid it and use more roleplay solution.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
amethal said:
Dawning Star looks interesting.

How important is d20 Future in running the game?

I already have d20 Modern, but I don't particularly want to buy d20 Future as well.

(Unless anyone thinks its such a great book I really ought to buy it even if I don't go for Dawning Star.)

You don't really need it.

Remove ads