Daggerheart 1.3 playtest dropping Tuesday.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Sure, but isn’t the point of playing a different game that it actually works differently?

There are plenty of games that don’t have turned based initiative and which work perfectly fine. The push back seems to be coming mostly from people who have little to no experience with such games.
Exactly. That’s the assumption at least. CR will have to figure out where they want the game to go and if they’re willing to take the resultant sales hit. They helped bring in tons of new people and make D&D a pop culture fad again. They’re not going to keep all of them when they put out and/or move to playing Daggerheart.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Sure, but isn’t the point of playing a different game that it actually works differently?

There are plenty of games that don’t have turned based initiative and which work perfectly fine. The push back seems to be coming mostly from people who have little to no experience with such games.
The issue I see is that we don't know how many fans of CR place a higher priority on playing a game the actors created and that is presumably what they want to play than they do on playing a game they are familiar with and that the actors have been playing performatively for years. CR doesn't know that information either, so they have to thread the needle to ensure the game has the best chance of commercial success they can give it.

In short, I contend that the designers of Daggerheart don't really know what kind of game their fans want to play.

Micah Sweet

Which likely includes a large portion, maybe even a majority, of CR's fanbase.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I've been looking at a lot of people discussing the game. Most of the people who haven't liked it just don't like narrative systems at all. They also haven't seemed to have experiences with a lot of the games that Daggerheart is drawing from. I haven't heard people say "I'm a big CR fan and this is just too far." Not saying that isn't happening, it's just that this is a game I and some friends are interested in, so we're really trying to look into it ... and I'm not seeing a pushback from the CR community.

Reynard

Legend
In short, I contend that the designers of Daggerheart don't really know what kind of game their fans want to play.
That's a pretty bold statement without anything to back it up other than your "read" of the situation. Critters are among the most engaged fans on Earth. You don't think CR and Darlington have a sense of what may or may not work?

hawkeyefan

Legend
The issue I see is that we don't know how many fans of CR place a higher priority on playing a game the actors created and that is presumably what they want to play than they do on playing a game they are familiar with and that the actors have been playing performatively for years. CR doesn't know that information either, so they have to thread the needle to ensure the game has the best chance of commercial success they can give it.

I don’t think they’re blind about it. There are uncertainties, of course, but I think they’ve been around long enough to have an idea of what their fans are interested in.

They’ve released a board game, a card game, and another RPG already, as well as their 5e products. So it’s not like they’re brand new at this.

With Candela Obscura, they just made the game they wanted and released it. Of course, they weren’t building an entirely new system for that game… they leaned heavily on a couple of existing games.

I’m hoping that those fans prove to be open minded!

Micah Sweet

That's a pretty bold statement without anything to back it up other than your "read" of the situation. Critters are among the most engaged fans on Earth. You don't think CR and Darlington have a sense of what may or may not work?
I think the fact that they've been performatively playing Dungeons & Dragons in a very narrative way for a number of years now confuses the issue, yes. Do CR fans want a narrative game, or a game like the actual system CR has mostly been using?

Micah Sweet

I don’t think they’re blind about it. There are uncertainties, of course, but I think they’ve been around long enough to have an idea of what their fans are interested in.

They’ve released a board game, a card game, and another RPG already, as well as their 5e products. So it’s not like they’re brand new at this.

With Candela Obscura, they just made the game they wanted and released it. Of course, they weren’t building an entirely new system for that game… they leaned heavily on a couple of existing games.

I’m hoping that those fans prove to be open minded!
I have no hopes or expectations one way or the other. I'm just curious how it falls out.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I'm going to have to be honest and say that they know it better than any of us over on Enworld. And if there's been feedback from the 'Critter community about how this is not what they want, I sure haven't seen it. It really seems like Matt has a good handle on what his community likes and is receiving tons of feedback from them on the game.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I have no hopes or expectations one way or the other. I'm just curious how it falls out.

Oh I personally am not too concerned. I'll give the game a try. I’ll play it for a bit if it’s interesting. If it’s not, I’ll move along.

What I’m hopeful for is that it introduces different types of games to a more mainstream audience. I’ll be happy to see their 5e fans exposed to other games and other types of play.

Remove ads