• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daily Art Preview

OchreJelly

First Post
So if this is confirmation that the Warforged is in the MM, I wonder if it will get the player character treatment that some of the MM races are getting...

Klaus

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
I like the decor on the body armour - it's an interesting new take on the Prescott warforged. But the face... I dunno. From an Eberron point of view, it's ugly. But it has its charm - it's just no longer an Eberron warforged.

Cheers, LT.
I've found that warforged look better when you slap at least some article of clothing on them to contrast the fluidity of fabric with the rigidity of their bodies: http://www.enworld.org/Pozas/Pictures/Line_Art/eberron_comic_page.jpg

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Klaus said:
I've found that warforged look better when you slap at least some article of clothing on them to contrast the fluidity of fabric with the rigidity of their bodies: http://www.enworld.org/Pozas/Pictures/Line_Art/eberron_comic_page.jpg
Totally random and off-topic - but looking at this comic has remembered me of something:

Sure, I'm not a very good artist (I've used to paint with acrylics, but lack of time means I'm not doing that very often any more - plus, I'm often fumbling with anatomy) - but it just occurred to me, that something sort of bugs me about your (generally pretty good) artwork in general:

I have the feeling that your shading is sometimes not bold enough and lacks contrast - and hence depth. Is this a conscious decision (to keep your art comic-like) or a quirk of your style?

Don't see that as attack, it's a mix of curiosity and (perhaps) constructive criticism.

Cheers, LT.

Voss

First Post
OchreJelly said:
So if this is confirmation that the Warforged is in the MM, I wonder if it will get the player character treatment that some of the MM races are getting...

Ugh. Maybe they should start theming the monster manuals.
Classic fantasy, over the top fantasy, stupid fantasy, generic fantasy, not fantasy, etc...

Masquerade

First Post
OchreJelly said:
I believe it has been announced that warforged will be one of the PC races in the MM.

Klaus

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
Totally random and off-topic - but looking at this comic has remembered me of something:

Sure, I'm not a very good artist (I've used to paint with acrylics, but lack of time means I'm not doing that very often any more - plus, I'm often fumbling with anatomy) - but it just occurred to me, that something sort of bugs me about your (generally pretty good) artwork in general:

I have the feeling that your shading is sometimes not bold enough and lacks contrast - and hence depth. Is this a conscious decision (to keep your art comic-like) or a quirk of your style?

Don't see that as attack, it's a mix of curiosity and (perhaps) constructive criticism.

Cheers, LT.
[threadjack]

In this piece (from 2006, iirc) I was experimenting with comic-book-style colouring, using the DC Comics guide. As such, it didn't came out the way I'd like. And most of the time, when I'm doing 1x1 inch counters, I have to keep an eye out for legibility.

I've recently begun working on pictures with more contrast, like the recent War of the Burning Sky covers ( http://www.enworld.org/enpublishing/russ_cover_tempest.jpg and http://www.enworld.org/enpublishing/russ_cover02.jpg ).

[/threadjack]

Hussar

Legend
Jack Colby said:
Even action poses get boring if that's all that's ever used. Besides, the Balor was in an intimidating, powerful pose, and the Warforged is in a noble, knightly pose. These are not illustrations for an action story, they are to show us what the creature looks like so we can imagine it doing whatever it needs to do in our games. Neutral poses are good for that.

"Intimidating, powerful pose"? Art is in the eye of the beholder and all that. You see intimidating, I see boring as all get out. These are monsters! I don't want static poses. I want to see them doing stuff, like ripping off arms and the like.

YMMV and all that. :)

Voss said:
Ugh. Maybe they should start theming the monster manuals.
Classic fantasy, over the top fantasy, stupid fantasy, generic fantasy, not fantasy, etc...

So, which book would you put half the 1e Monster Manual in? Trappers, Mimics, etc. Beholders?

Why the hell do people equate fantasy with stodgy crap written by dead authors? Gimme Grindylow and K'Chain Che'Malle and I'll happily dump any number of sacred cow monsters.

Voss

First Post
Hussar said:
So, which book would you put half the 1e Monster Manual in? Trappers, Mimics, etc. Beholders?
Stupid fantasy. Or generic fantasy in some cases. Treants, orcs, halflings, etc.

Why the hell do people equate fantasy with stodgy crap written by dead authors?

Because preferences are subjective. People like what they like. And if classic fantasy *was* fantasy, it still *is* fantasy. But the new stuff, which has entirely different feel, has to be something else. Those were simply the mental categories that seemed most useful to me.
Classic- myth and legend
generic- tolkienized & mass market things that were once classic, but are now just brutalized victims
over the top- giant multi armed fire-breathing skeletons
stupid fantasy- digesters, face-peeling skull cat things, temporal cat-centaurs
not fantasy- war forged and other thinly veiled sci-fi elements.

None of the latter categories feel like fantasy to me. They just make me sad.

Remove ads