• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daily Art Preview

DeusExMachina

First Post
Hussar said:
Why the hell do people equate fantasy with stodgy crap written by dead authors? Gimme Grindylow and K'Chain Che'Malle and I'll happily dump any number of sacred cow monsters.

Which is why I'm going to play a heavily Steven Erikson influenced campaign. Basically the characters get stuck in a resurgence of a war between two ancient races a la Jaghut/Imass, but with some flavor changes in it. Steven Erikson is great for plot and world building inspiration... :)

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Klaus said:
The warforged picture is badly proportioned. The legs are far too short for the torso, and the knees are folding back way too much. The wood is rendered well enough, but the metal parts aren't as good, and the face is a bit off (one of the hardest things to get right is the warforged's faceplate... the brows, cheeck"bones" and jaw have a look to them that is hard to do right).

I have to agree with alot of what you said. I still think the calves are pretty darn good though, even if the legs are a tad short.

Oni

First Post
hong said:
Crap. Did they get UDON to do the art?

That means I have to give up my left nut now....

If someone had told me a couple months ago that Udon would be doing 4e art I would have thought that would have been great. Now less so.

They're the ones that have brought us the bloodfiend and efreets it would seem. I actually found their DA site just to day and learned just that.

http://udoncrew.deviantart.com/

DandD

First Post
20080502_108560_0.jpg

The White Dragon... Looks kinda cute. :)
excerpt_4E_swordwing1.jpg

And that's the Swordswing which lives in the Underdark. Kinda cool. It collects rare items. Flying pack rats with blades of swiftness.

Sonny

Adventurer
Is it me, or does the white dragon have a real thin layer of fur on it? If it is fur, it's unusual and wouldn't work for most other dragons, but it works for the white one. :)

A'koss

Explorer
The swordwing illo is very cool and the dragon's pretty decent as well, even if it's not quite meshing with that background...

Kishin

First Post
The white dragon looks very...birdlike, there.

I don't think they;re gonna top the awesome picture at the front of the Character Classes section in the PHB for White Dragon illustrations soon, if ever.

I like the swordwing, but then again, I like bug monsters.

Kishin

First Post
Hussar said:
Why the hell do people equate fantasy with stodgy crap written by dead authors? Gimme Grindylow and K'Chain Che'Malle and I'll happily dump any number of sacred cow monsters.

See Dragon #352 for the 3.5E Grindylow, though I think it would be very hard to make them as scary as Mieville depicts them. They truly unnerved me in The Scar .

Also, Jaghuts over K'Chain Che'Malle (Which have a ridiculous name....Erikson is really hit and miss on his naming, come to think of it.)

Remove ads