• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damage of a boulder and small monkey...

PrinceZane

First Post
Alllllrighty. Few random question, semi relating to each other in a weird way...

1. How much would a boulder that is 10' x 10' x 10' that weighs 2 tons do damage wise? (see "The Plan" below)

2. What is the formula/equation for figuring out how heavy of an item you can throw (namely from a sling)? *The Plan* Wizard casts shrink item on a boulder, I carry it around, during the next battle launch it at a foe being 1/16th of its size with the intent of hitting the 5' square behind the foe while the wizard does a readied action dispel magic on the shrink item spell making the boulder original size, squishing the foe hopefully to death. Then, repeat. *End Plan*

3. As discussed in another thread- http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2436968#post2436968 -how much does a small monkey do damage wise, and could my "plan" on afore mentioned thread work?

Veril

Explorer
Shrink item can shrink things down to 1/16th of size in each dimension. Sling bullet = 1 inch cube (aprox) so shrink item can reduce a 16 inch cube (16 * 16 * 16) down to an appropriate size.

Your plan is totally unworkable.

Shrink Item is a 3rd level spell and have a damage cap of 10D6, irrespective of whatever you try to do.
If a trivial application of your spell made it better than a fireball, then that's what everyone would do

Finally, if you had a 7.5 inch cube that you were able to do this with, the 'growing' would push people out of the way, not crush them.

If you want to crush people beneath heavy things look at the wall spells.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Monkeying around.
1pt for a tiny monkey, d3 if its actually small, with a -4 to hit as a bulky improvised weapon.

As a DM I would let you get away with the monkey attack, even against an aware opponent, as the shock of being attacked by a dead monkey would catch then flatfooted. Once.
Then the piece of ammunition would be destroyed.

I enjoy bizzar tactics, but they should not replace actual weapons.

PrinceZane

First Post
Hmmm....

Alright... So monkey will be the initiate round for X boss....

But, about the boulder, it's too big to fit into a sling, ok.. Could the same tactic be used if the fighter were to just throw it, instead of propelling it from an actual weapon?

Sledge

First Post
Improvised weapon no problem, but again the enlarging shouldn't further injure. Also the bigger the boulder, the harder it will be to throw accurately. (Size penalties)

domino

First Post
But if it's shrunk, it's still going to be tiny, only 7.5 inches on a side. That's only slightly larger than a normal shotput.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads