• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damage Reduction Question

chengarino

First Post
Need some help with a ruling on this question which came up in our campaign.

Damage Reduction x/+y 'prevents' damage to a creature who does not possess either a +y or better weapon or else each hit's damage is reduced by x .

The question is on the +y part of the equation. Do you use only the +y bonus to hit, or do you use the 'total enhancement bonus'?

For example, a shortsword +1 Ki Strike. It's a +1 weapon. But, it counts as a +2 for magic purposes.

Which bonus do i use? Please find me the source in the pubs/faqs to help resolve this. There have been plenty of opinion'ing in our group already.

tim

kreynolds

First Post
chengarino said:
Which bonus do i use?

Just the primary enhancement bonus. A +2 weapon will bypass DR of ?/+2, but a +1 keen weapon will not. On a +2 keen longsword, the +2 is the enhancement bonus, but the weapon's total market price modifier is a +3. The market price modifier doesn't have anything to do with DR. Only the enhancement bonus.

For a source, see the DMG, MM, MoF, and MMII.

Last edited:

chengarino

First Post
kreynolds said:

Just the primary enhancement bonus. A +2 weapon will bypass DR of ?/+2, but a +1 keen weapon will not. On a +2 keen longsword, the +2 is the enhancement bonus, but the weapon's total market price modifier is a +3. The market price modifier doesn't have anything to do with DR. Only the enhancement bonus.

For a source, see the DMG, MM, MoF, and MMII.

I read the MM text: it merely says an enhancement. And, in the 1st and 2nd editions, this magical enchancement includes not just the 'hit bonus' but also 'equivalent feature bonuses'.

I think the confusion in our group was the distinction between an "ENHANCEMENT BONUS" (as it bouns to hit/damage) versus an "MARKET PRICE BONUS."

It's in the DMG on 183. Not clearly in MM or MMII. I couldn't find the reference in MoP. But, the DMG (Magic Weapons section) states the ruling quite clearly.

Thanks.

tim

Balgus

First Post
a +2 keen sword has a +2 enhancement. the +1 for the keen is just for the DM to know the general price range for the weapon.

If you are the DM asking for help cause a player brought this up, tell him this is how it is- all misconceptions clear up now with this ruling.

If you are the player bringing this up because you need to bypass DR, give it up, that arguemnet will not fly if you strap a rocket back to its back.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Damage Reduction Question

chengarino said:
I read the MM text: it merely says an enhancement.

Exactly. The enhancement bonus is all that matters. Not the market price modifier.

chengarino said:
I think the confusion in our group was the distinction between an "ENHANCEMENT BONUS" (as it bouns to hit/damage) versus an "MARKET PRICE BONUS."

Probably. It happens more than you know. :cool:

chengarino said:
It's in the DMG on 183. Not clearly in MM or MMII.

It's in both the MM and MMII. The DR write ups both state "enhancement bonus", not "market price modifier". The reason I referred you to the DMG first is that it directly addresses what an enhancement bonus is, then the DR descriptions explain how they interact.

chengarino said:
I couldn't find the reference in MoP

Not MoP (Manual of the Planes). I said MoF (Monsters of Faerun). It's the same write up as the MM and MMII, though the MMII write up for DR explains the common misconceptions of adamantine and DR.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Re: Re: Re: Damage Reduction Question

kreynolds said:

Not MoP (Manual of the Planes). I said MoF (Monsters of Faerun).
Hmm, I thought you said "MoF (Magic of Faerun)". ;)

mkletch

First Post
Note also that the description for Damage Reduction in MMII changed slightly, and now excludes non-magic enhancement bonuses, such as Adamantine. I don't know if this was in any official errata or the FAQ prior to MMII's release.

-Fletch!

CrimsonScribe

First Post
I've got a question in a similar vein to this.

If something has DR x/- does it reduce the damage dealt to it from all sources (regardless of enchancement bonus) by x?

Say a critter with DR 20/- gets hit by a Paladin wielding a Holy Avenger, does the Paladin does full damage or his damage reduced by 20?

kreynolds

First Post
Chengarino. This is also from the FAQ, just in case you'd like another source...

Does a +1 short sword with the shock enhancement (total
enhancement of +2 for pricing purposes) overcome a
creature's damage reduction of 15/+2?
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspNo, only the weapon's actual magical enhancement bonus
for attack and damage counts. The weapon in this example is
considered a +1 weapon for overcoming damage reduction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads