• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damage Rolls

Atreides

First Post
I am looking to get a better grasp on when Damage Roll bonuses are not applied. Please correct me on anything that I am incorrect on.

Damage Rolls
Roll the damage indicated in the power description. If you’re using a weapon for the attack, the damage is some multiple of your weapon damage dice.

Add the ability modifier specified in the power description. Usually, this is the same ability modifier you used to determine your base attack bonus for the attack.

In addition, any of the following factors might apply to a damage roll:
• Racial or feat bonuses
• An enhancement bonus (usually from a magic weapon or an implement)
• An item bonus
• A power bonus
• Untyped bonuses

OK - so general singe target attack powers they are always applied.
Twin Strike, Dual strike, Bursts and Blasts applied.

When a static damage is applied (no die rolled) then they do not apply.

What about when dice are rolled from a 'secondary' type effect - some sorcerer powers for instance.

Explosive Pyre (Sorc 1)

Hit: 2d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage. Until the start of your next turn, any enemy that enters a square adjacent to the target or starts its turn there takes 1d6 fire damage.

Obviously the DR modifiers apply to the main attack (2d8+Ch), but what about the 1d6 fire effect - is that 1d6 plus DR modifiers?

As far as I know - YES - but again, I'm not real sure on all this.

Whirling Barbarian

Has a number of powers that grants [1W] offhand damage to an adjacent target or what not - since that is a damage die rolled, does it benefit from all damage roll modifiers as well as the [1W+Str] from the initial attack?

Thunderborn Barbarian

This one has a number of powers that generate blast effects as part of the initial strike - do these blast effects (such as 1d6 damage in a blast 3 that must include the original target) also get damage roll bonuses? In this case does the target then take DR modifiers X2 since they were also hit by the original attack as well?

Is there an established guideline that can be used to know when DR modifiers apply - is it simply everytime a dice rolled?

Thanks!

chitzk0i

Explorer
If a bonus--for instance, an enhancement bonus--says "a bonus to damage rolls", then you apply it whenever you roll dice for damage. Static damage is the only time you don't add modifiers.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I think you are right.

If you roll a dice, you add the extra damage. If you don't roll a dice you don't add the extra damage.

I can see your confusion regarding the Barbarian, especially the [1W] offhand damage to an adjacent target... I would add the extra damage there too. It does feel like a lot of damage, but you need the adjacent target and the total damage is only +str higher than the Fighter dual-wield power.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads