Dammit! +ve covid test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a doctor, but I can attest that when I get a cold, I hit the Zinc, Vit D and Caffeine and I'm usually out of the worst of it in a few days in stead of a few weeks. Surf, turf, with lots of mushrooms and/or potatoes...oh, and Cola/Coffee baby! :) Figured this out decades ago when a bad cold/flu was going around town. Everyone in my family was getting it...I felt the early symptoms, and started eating steak and shrimp with a lot of Coke-a-Cola every day. I had the cold for 4 or 5 days; everyone else... 2 week minimum, my mom had it for almost a month! Yes, anecdotal,

I got the flu this week. I did nothing for 5 days. No vitamin supplements, no zinc tablets, nada! Just drank a lot of water and got a lot of rest. And then I got better! It's almost like most flues go away after 5 days...

pming

Legend
I got the flu this week. I did nothing for 5 days. No vitamin supplements, no zinc tablets, nada! Just drank a lot of water and got a lot of rest. And then I got better! It's almost like most flues go away after 5 days...
LOL!
True, true!

Colds though...man! Those suckers can hang on to you like a bad habit! I've always said... "Give me the flu for 4 days over a cold for 14!". I hate colds with a passion!
Maybe it's all placebo...but hey, if it makes me feel better and feel like I'm "doing something to get rid of it faster"...ok, I can delude myself and be dang happy doin' it! As someone once said in some mostly forgotten movie... "Ignorance is bliss". ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Stalker0

Legend
No vitamin supplements, no zinc tablets, nada!
To be fully fair and transparent, there is no scientific consensus that says vitamin supplement provide any benefit to your health....assuming you are getting proper nutrition and don't have any deficiency conditions (such as low iron conditions frequent in some women with heavy menstruations)

The main reason that vitamin D may be a help against covid is that we are seeing a lot Vitamin D deficiencies in bad covid cases (again whether covid is draining vitamin D or the low levels of D are what is magnifying the severity of the infection is unknown).

Zinc is also recommended because there are some studies on its immune boosting effects. Its a weak link though, again general scientific consensus at the present is that all vitamin supplements are bunk if you have proper nutrition.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I've heard plenty of doctors say vitamins just give you expensive pee. Your body flushes out excess, including vitamins. Unless it's something your body lacks, the body will just get rid of it. I don't take supplements for this reason, unless my doctor tells me I need it.

GreyLord

Legend
I've heard plenty of doctors say vitamins just give you expensive pee. Your body flushes out excess, including vitamins. Unless it's something your body lacks, the body will just get rid of it. I don't take supplements for this reason, unless my doctor tells me I need it.

If it has more minerals, the other side effect I understand you might get are the lovely Kidney stones (or even better, Gall Stones!!!).

I hope none of you ever get those. Drink enough water, I hear that helps (but that's hearsay, not medical advice).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hiya!

You need to look into it more.

While it is currently in the general "not recommended", but it is firmly in the "sometimes it is recommended" side of the medical community, it's not like taking it (via a legitimate doctors prescription, obviously!) is going to make you any worse off when you already have C19. Hence why it is sometimes recommended... the old "well, this might help..." schtick many doctors default to anyway when they are out of all the "normal options". This isn't a bad thing most of the time...assuming you have a decent doctor.

Ivermectin gets rid of parasites, primarily, but it has a side effect of making it more difficult for some viruses (and some medical studies, what little there are on it, are finding COVID to be one of them) to "hijack the immune system". Something to do with...
" inhibiting the host importin alpha/beta-1 nuclear transport proteins, which are part of a key intracellular transport process that viruses hijack to enhance infection by suppressing the host’s antiviral response."
( Ivermectin | COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines )

Then there's the dreaded chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine (?). ;) Again, "not recommended" by the majority, but it has been prescribed to some people by their doctors. I'd guess usually for people who don't want to or can't take any of the C19 shots.

I'm not a doctor, but I can attest that when I get a cold, I hit the Zinc, Vit D and Caffeine and I'm usually out of the worst of it in a few days in stead of a few weeks. Surf, turf, with lots of mushrooms and/or potatoes...oh, and Cola/Coffee baby! :) Figured this out decades ago when a bad cold/flu was going around town. Everyone in my family was getting it...I felt the early symptoms, and started eating steak and shrimp with a lot of Coke-a-Cola every day. I had the cold for 4 or 5 days; everyone else... 2 week minimum, my mom had it for almost a month! Yes, anecdotal, but I know I'm not the only one...so maybe there's something to it. Besides...great excuse to eat steak, lobster, shrimp, crab, mushrooms and potatoes for a week! :)

At any rate... Morrus had the shot, and STILL got sick. So, uh, maybe time to look at other potential helpers? I mean, there's a point when you have done everything possible using the "normally accepted methods" that you just have to step back and say... "Ok...what about the NOT normally accepted methods?". At least that's where I would be if I was in his position (which I'm not); I haven't gotten the shot...not because I'm anti-vaxx, but because I am anti-forceyoutodoitorelse! It's the Satanist in me I guess; anytime someone tries to coerce/force me to do something I get more and more adamant I get in resisting it. shrug Call it a "personal quirk". ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming
Mod note:

And you’re out

As pointed out before, ivermectin’s antiviral effects are so minor that effective use of it to treat C19 would require doses toxic to humans.

That aside, even in standard doses for normal or off-label uses, its known serious side effects serious side effects, include: neck/back pain, swelling face/arms/hands/feet, chest pain, fast heartbeat, confusion, seizures, loss of consciousness. So “it's not like taking it (via a legitimate doctors prescription, obviously!) is going to make you any worse off when you already have C19.” is disingenuous at best, and is potentially quite dangerous.

The FDA’s EAU for treating C19 with hydrocliroquine was withdrawn more than a year ago because it proved ineffective, has dangerous side effects (seizures, convulsions, intrusive self-destructive thoughts, etc.) and was causing shortages for patients who needed it for treatment of lupus and other serious illnesses.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Best wishes and speedy recovery.

Here in suburban Maryland, the public schools have been doing a pretty good job of staying on top of things. All students are tested on Monday, with results emailed on Tuesday.

And when I say "all students," I mean all students. Pre-K (3 & 4 year-olds), kindergarteners (5 year olds), all the way up through high school seniors.

I got an email from the school on Tuesday to pick up my daughter (in first-grade) because a classmate tested positive. She took her Chromebook home and she's been doing remote learning. Tomorrow, she's eligible for PCR testing and can return on Thursday if the Wednesday result is negative.

It's a pain in the ass. I've been driving my other daughter to preschool because my wife has to be home with the older while she's remote-learning.

But it's also a damn good system. Cases are identified quickly, tracing is done, the kids switch to the remote learning track for a week, and only 1 class is affected at a time.

While it's a pain, I think this is the way forward - reliance on science and logistics. I personally don't think that there will ever be a return to the "Before Times." Omicron is so virulent that we're well on our way to endemic. Which means that this is something that we need to deal with directly and responsibly.

Get better. In the meantime, being quarantined is a good time to squash typos and make edits.

All the best.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Huh. I've never heard anyone try to claim that Coca Cola cures colds before. That's new.

Some folks conflate "makes me feel better while suffering a cold" with "cure the cold". Sure, take a stimulant and some sugar, and you'll feel better - that doesn't mean the impact of the infection on your body is any less, or will resolve any more quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads