D&D General Dan Rawson Named New Head Of D&D

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. Dan Rawson was the COO of Microsoft Dynamics 365. Hasbro also hired Cynthia Williams earlier this year; she too, came from Microsoft. Of Rawson, she said "We couldn’t be bringing on Dan at a better time. With the acquisition of D&D Beyond earlier this year, the digital...

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. Dan Rawson was the COO of Microsoft Dynamics 365.

wotc-new-logo-3531303324.jpg

Hasbro also hired Cynthia Williams earlier this year; she too, came from Microsoft. Of Rawson, she said "We couldn’t be bringing on Dan at a better time. With the acquisition of D&D Beyond earlier this year, the digital capabilities and opportunities for Dungeons & Dragons are accelerating faster than ever. I am excited to partner with Dan to explore the global potential of the brand while maintaining Hasbro’s core value as a player-first company.”

Rawson himself says that "Leading D&D is the realization of a childhood dream. I’m excited to work with Cynthia once again, and I’m thrilled to work with a talented team to expand the global reach of D&D, a game I grew up with and now play with my own kids.”

Interestingly, Ray Wininger -- who has been running D&D for the last couple of years -- has removed mention of WotC and Hasbro from his Twitter bio.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The issue is how Hasbro/WotC is making that money. Magic has spent the last 2 years focusing on high ticket items to a much smaller audience and it is working but the game itself is hurting. There are quality control issues and even well produced sets like Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty and Dominaria United aren't selling or carrying the value they should. WotC relies on items like the upcoming 30th Anniversary set which is 4 boosters of reprints from Beta with different backs that cost $1000 a box and they aren't tournament legal.
Is DnD Bigger than ever? Yeah it is. But Hasbro once to double profits and deeply cut costs to get to their 2027 target and their stock lost money after the M:tG 30th anniversary announcement. Players who want to reprint the reserve list and players who don't want to reprint the reserve list actually agree that this product is terrible for everyone. The kicker is that why WPN stores get 1 to 3 boxes for free a consumer can pay $1k directly to WotC for their boxes. This is a house of cards and it won't last forever.
Oh, yes, Magic seems to be heading towards some flattening, probably at around the Billion spot. Which would mean Digital (not a franchise brand) and D&D will need to get to the rest of the 2.5 billion expected in 5 years.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Oh, yes, Magic seems to be heading towards some flattening, probably at around the Billion spot. Which would mean Digital (not a franchise brand) and D&D will need to get to the rest of the 2.5 billion expected in 5 years.
Not all of that 2.5 billion has to come from the game. A lot of it can come from Movies and so forth.

TheSword

Legend
I think they had more books pop into the top 10 on Amazon in the last two years then during any previous period. We shouldn't mistake the responses on a message board of overly invested superfans for the tenor of the general playing populous
I don’t believe that is the case. It’s simply that the more recent products are weighted in the Amazon algorithm that calculates ranking higher than older products. There was a good thread that worked it out a few months ago.

I have already fully acknowledged that I might not be in line with the people who are buying the products.

I just know I haven’t bought a D&D book since Rime and before that bought every one. I’m not sure I have changed, the products have.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I don’t believe that is the case. It’s simply that the more recent products are weighted in the Amazon algorithm that calculates ranking higher than older products. There was a good thread that worked it out a few months ago.

I have already fully acknowledged that I might not be in line with the people who are buying the products.

I just know I haven’t bought a D&D book since Rime and before that bought every one. I’m not sure I have changed, the products have.
I'm talking about at the time of their release.

Well indeed. They ignored all the indications that elements of 4E, especially the deletion of the OGL and replacement with a GSL might create a split in the community or even an alternate D&D, even though they must have considered it.

And I notice rumours that they're considering ditching the OGL again are also back. Probably just that, surely WotC learned that at least, right? But... Dawson here doesn't seem like the sort of dude to pay too much attention to company/product history, only forward-looking goals.

So long as the DM is paying for a non-cheap subscription, yes.

But that's how they "get ya". That's how they got me lol.

Rawson literally just got the job so I doubt he's made many decisions on anything. Truth be told we know absolutely nothing about any plans he has for D&D,because beyond that he played D&D as a kid & as a father, that he used to be a Marine, and he used to work for Microsoft and worked in all kinds of places across the world, we don't know much about him. Anything else is jumping to unjustified conclusions.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Rawson literally just got the job so I doubt he's made many decisions on anything. Truth be told we know absolutely nothing about any plans he has for D&D,because beyond that he played D&D as a kid & as a father, that he used to be a Marine, and he used to work for Microsoft and worked in all kinds of places across the world, we don't know much about him. Anything else is jumping to unjustified conclusions.
It is quite amusing that a common response to any change is "The Sky is Falling"

Remove ads

Remove ads