D&D General Dan Rawson Named New Head Of D&D

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. Dan Rawson was the COO of Microsoft Dynamics 365.

wotc-new-logo-3531303324.jpg

Hasbro also hired Cynthia Williams earlier this year; she too, came from Microsoft. Of Rawson, she said "We couldn’t be bringing on Dan at a better time. With the acquisition of D&D Beyond earlier this year, the digital capabilities and opportunities for Dungeons & Dragons are accelerating faster than ever. I am excited to partner with Dan to explore the global potential of the brand while maintaining Hasbro’s core value as a player-first company.”

Rawson himself says that "Leading D&D is the realization of a childhood dream. I’m excited to work with Cynthia once again, and I’m thrilled to work with a talented team to expand the global reach of D&D, a game I grew up with and now play with my own kids.”

Interestingly, Ray Wininger -- who has been running D&D for the last couple of years -- has removed mention of WotC and Hasbro from his Twitter bio.

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I'm seriously having huge difficulty imagining Rawson speaking to fans/customers at all about D&D and its future in any meaningful way, whereas Winninger was able to do quite eloquently and frankly interestingly. I doubt we'll see any discussion of upcoming settings or the like from Rawson, because I very much doubt he even understands why we care (though I'm sure he understands if they make money or not). And even if he has played the game, that's not at all the same thing as having been a game design
As @Henadic Theologian point out above the New Guy is a VP and Ray Winninger was an Executive Producer. My guess is Ray is still in charge of the RPG but that there will be whole other D&D departments focused on the multimedia which will include TV and movies going forward.

This is a whole other ball game for D&D

overgeeked

B/X Known World
As @Henadic Theologian point out above the New Guy is a VP and Ray Winninger was an Executive Producer. My guess is Ray is still in charge of the RPG but that there will be whole other D&D departments focused on the multimedia which will include TV and movies going forward.

This is a whole other ball game for D&D
Except that Ray has removed any mention of D&D, WotC, and Hasbro from his socials (at least on Twitter) and hasn’t posted much in recent days (weeks). He’s seemingly no longer working on D&D or for Wotc/Hasbro in any capacity. If he was still there you’d expect the old corporate stuff about looking forward to working with the new person, bigger and brighter things, and all the normal PR claptrap.

My guess is Ray is still in charge of the RPG
Yeah how much you want to bet on that son?

Dudes don't delete all references to D&D from their Twitter bio just because they got a new boss.
there will be whole other D&D departments focused on the multimedia which will include TV and movies going forward
That is already the case. There is nothing new - Mearls was in the role of Franchise Creative Director until 2020, it's unclear who is in that role now.

Well this doesn't bode very well.

Winninger was an actual game designer with some real credits under his belt, some real risks taken.

Dan Rawson is living definition of a "suit" (just check out his LinkedIn). I am extremely skeptical he's even played D&D significantly, let alone understands D&D, despite his vague claim. I am somewhat surprised he's as close as a 3rd degree connection to me, I bet I know who via though lol.

He's not replacing Ray, if Ray is gone there will need to be a new Executive Producer for D&D, which used to be Mearls job. Dan Rawson's new job didn't exist until now, it's a lot higher up the food chain and if Ray isn't gone, Dan will be his boss.

Ray was the very top of the creative teams hierachy, Dan Rawson is above the creative team entirely, although they still answer to him.

I suspect so does marketing, customer service, the D&D Beyond Team, Toque Studios, and any other of the studios working on D&D products and Mike Mearls. All of which were well beyond Ray job description. The MtG team might too when using D&D settings for card sets. Any new companies and assets that are purchased for D&D will likely also answer to him.

He will have influence over D&D creative, but I'm pretty sure he won't directly run it himself, but whoever does end up Executive Producer of D&D answers to D&D Senior Vice Dan Rawson, who answers to WotC President Cynthia Williams, who answers to Hasbro CEO Chris Cox.

Ex-Microsoft seems have hijacked WotC which Hijacked it's owner company Hasbro. Over the next few years this should get very interesting, there is a particular vision for Hasbro/WotC/D&D & MtG here, Chris Coxes vision.

Except that Ray has removed any mention of D&D, WotC, and Hasbro from his socials (at least on Twitter) and hasn’t posted much in recent days (weeks). He’s seemingly no longer working on D&D or for Wotc/Hasbro in any capacity. If he was still there you’d expect the old corporate stuff about looking forward to working with the new person, bigger and brighter things, and all the normal PR claptrap.

If he's gone they will need a new Executive Producer to fill his role, that's not Dan Rawson's job.

He's not replacing Ray, if Ray is gone there will need to be a new Executive Producer for D&D, which used to be Mearls job.
He's an Executive Producer, not the Lich King.

There's no reason his position has to continue to exist or filled. Azeroth is not going to be consumed by undead because WotC doesn't an EP for D&D. Nor is Faerun, for that matter.

I find it very unlikely Winninger would have just quit if the EP position was planned to continue existing, because frankly, he was probably being paid a very large amount of money. So either the EP position won't be filled, or whatever they're planning was so at odds with Winninger being there that he had to go, in which case we'll likely see someone from MS or Jeremy Crawford (if he's amenable to their plans, and I presume he is) in the position.

Ex-Microsoft seems have hijacked WotC which Hijacked it's owner company Hasbro. Over the next few years this should get very interesting, there is a particular vision for Hasbro/WotC/D&D & MtG here, Chris Coxes vision.
This is true. Frankly I'd be unsurprised if they simply sold out to Microsoft for many dollars, in a few years. MS is going very aggro on acquiring game companies. Once they've got Activision-Blizzard in the bag (still working on that) I'd be unsurprised if either Hasbro or a WotC snapped from Hasbro would be next up.

Haplo781

Legend
Well this doesn't bode very well.

Winninger was an actual game designer with some real credits under his belt, some real risks taken.

Dan Rawson is living definition of a "suit" (just check out his LinkedIn). I am extremely skeptical he's even played D&D significantly, let alone understands D&D, despite his vague claim. I am somewhat surprised he's as close as a 3rd degree connection to me, I bet I know who via though lol.
D&D stopped taking risks in 2012.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases