• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark*Matter: Discovery, The Chicago Ripper

Friadoc

Explorer
"I'm sure we can do a little clean up of our own," says Cade as he helps 'Z' walk. "But, I wanna make sure the smurfs are standing down." With a grin towards the group, Cade adds, "Ya'll did good, by the way, damn good."

Into the comm unit, Cade asks, "Stanfield, are they standing down?" As of yet, Cade hasn't stopped from moving toward the exit, however he has shouldered the shotgun down so that he could confirm an explosive round is in the chamber. "We've recovered the cultist copy of the scroll, too."

Falkus

Explorer
Z nodded her thanks at Cade. "I suppose you've got some questions. I'll answer, if you want."

"Ten years, and I never had to shoot a guy," Quinn said, holstering her pistol, and looking down at the corpses littering the church. "Okay, what the hell was that in the alley? Who are these guys? What were they doing? Who the hell are you?" Her calm demeanor was starting to crack as she came down off the adrenaline high.

There was a slight tingling on Meredith's right arm. It was painful, but it was somehow stronger than the burning pain from the wound on her left arm. When she glanced at the right arm, there was a tattoo present. A simple outline. A quick glimpse at the floor confirmed it. The outline on her arm was the shape as the piece of metal that had started the destruction of Xeria's sword. That piece of metal, incidentally, was still on the ground, glowing softly white, amidst the other, dull shards of the sword.

Diego chased down the fleeing cultists, and tackeled the last one as they both reached the main door. He bore him down to the ground, when a voice shouted. "Freeze, hands in the air!"

A black helicopter, loaded down with miniguns and rockets, was hovering outside the church, it's vast arsenal of weaponry ominously aimed at the building. Rappelling lines hung down from the side of the vehicle, and about sixteen men in jet black armor were securing the two remaining cultists, and pointing OICW's at Diego and the cultist.

"Stand down, sergeant. He's one of the Institute's boys," one of the men said, a Lieutenant judging by his insignia, and the soldiers lowered their weapons. "You did a good job agent, but we'll take it from here," the LT continued. Curiously, aside from simple rank markings, none of the commandos had any sort of national or unit insignia present on their armor, nor did the helicopter. Dark visors covered their faces, and the armor was high tech landwarrior gear, colored and designed for intimidation, not camouflage.

"The Minister just confirmed that the team's orders have been changed to securing the site, rather than destruction. I'm sending over a team of our own now, and he and I are gonna haggle out the jurisdiction issues. You take Z and come home." said Stanfield over the radio. "Oh yes, and Mr. Smith is here. He's got an offer for Lieutenant Quinn. Bring her over too."

OOC: You each receive, for saving all of Chicago from a horrible fate, 5000 experience points, putting you all up a level.

Shayuri, after thinking about it, I've decided to allow the Confronter template count as the prerequisites to Shadow Slayer (so if you take the template this level, next time you level up, you can take levels in Shadow Slayer, if you want to)

Shayuri

First Post
Meri stares at her arm, then quickly scoops up the glowing piece of metal too. She'd have questions, she knew. She hides the pieces of the sword in her purse.

"Thanks Cade," she says in response to his compliment. She gives Nick a smile and disengages as she gets into the van. "Thanks to you too." Then she gives Nick a curious look and motions him over. "Would you take a look at this?"

She rolls up her sleeve, showing the strange mark around the cut in her arm.

"Have you seen anything like this before?"

(That actually sounds pretty cool! I was going to qualify for Slayer by next level anyway, but this way I can get the template and slayer taken care of in two levels instead of three. Thanks!)

iwatt

First Post
Falkus said:
"Okay, what the hell was that in the alley? Who are these guys? What were they doing? Who the hell are you?" Her calm demeanor was starting to crack as she came down off the adrenaline high.

"The thing in the alley, that was some kind of demon. It's actualy your serial killer by the way. See, there actually are things that go bump in the dark. We're the guys that bump back. Hard. These idiots were trying to send all of Chi-town to hell. We stopped them. Now we've got to report back to our bosses, and they want to explain things to you in person. Please, come with us and you'll get more answers than you'd really want"

OOC: woot level up...time to start using powers :D

Friadoc

Explorer
Falkus said:
Z nodded her thanks at Cade. "I suppose you've got some questions. I'll answer, if you want."

"Maybe," says Cade with chuckle, but he gives 'Z' a slight squueze across the shoulders. "But, it's nothin' that can't wait. Once we're all back home, if you feel like it, maybe then." With a roguish smile, he adds, "The Doc'll ask them, though, since I speechify too much."

Upon hearing Quinn, Cade smiles a bit, but leaves her in Larry's capable hands.

Diego chased down the fleeing cultists, and tackeled the last one as they both reached the main door. He bore him down to the ground, when a voice shouted. "Freeze, hands in the air!"

"Damn, nice tackle Die..." Cade starts to say, but is cut off by the shouts to freeze. As he brings his shotgun to bear, stepping between the threat and 'Z', he slowly lowers it though upon seeing who it is. "Frickin' smurfs."

"Stand down, sergeant. He's one of the Institute's boys," one of the men said, a Lieutenant judging by his insignia, and the soldiers lowered their weapons. "You did a good job agent, but we'll take it from here," the LT continued. Curiously, aside from simple rank markings, none of the commandos had any sort of national or unit insignia present on their armor, nor did the helicopter. Dark visors covered their faces, and the armor was high tech landwarrior gear, colored and designed for intimidation, not camouflage.

"They all did a good job, Brainy," says Cade with a grin as he moves over to help Diego to his feet. "No worries for now, though, Azreal and Gargamel have left the forest."

"The Minister just confirmed that the team's orders have been changed to securing the site, rather than destruction. I'm sending over a team of our own now, and he and I are gonna haggle out the jurisdiction issues. You take Z and come home." said Stanfield over the radio. "Oh yes, and Mr. Smith is here. He's got an offer for Lieutenant Quinn. Bring her over too."

"With pleasure, Boss," says Cade into the comms. Looking over his shoulder at Larry, he shouts, "Boss said that Smith would like to talk with Quinn."

As Cade starts up the rig, an inquisitive look passes over his face as he turns, looking at 'Z' and for the first time the group sees an almost pensive, nervous look upon the man's face.

"You're not a princess," says Cade with a pause. "Are you?"

OOC
Awesome adventure, Falkus! Thanks, you did a damn fine job. Too bad we can't award GMs XP.

I'm having a blast with this group and character, thanks!

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
"I caught that one" Diego tells the Lieutenent. "He's ours." But he doesn't press the point, and rejoins the others.

"Z, I'm glad to see you're OK! Good job guys."

(To the comm) "I could use some more of that healing magic, boss."

The speed thing ... I'm sure I did it this time, when I was chasing that guy. I must have some kind of funky power. I can feel it.

Friadoc

Explorer
OOC

Rogues Gallery - http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=176370

Dark*Matter Discovery - http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=175881

Now the second one, I think, is the OOC field, although it's not fully labelled as such.

Thus far I've subscribed to all of the threads, I think, for the game. :D

We've got, hmm, five so far, unless I missed one, consiting of the three adventures, rogues gallery, and the recruitment/ooc field.

On a side note, Falkus and crew, I'm thinking of taking Cade down the 'Techie' advanced class, unless anyone has some suggestions for an AC or PC. :D

Falkus

Explorer
Awesome adventure, Falkus! Thanks, you did a damn fine job. Too bad we can't award GMs XP.

I'm having a blast with this group and character, thanks!

OOC: Aw, thanks. That's the best thing a GM can hear from a player.

IC:
For all of Nick's studying, he can't come up with a single myth or legend that could possibly explain Meredith's new tattoo. On the way back, reading through the scroll the cultist drop, Nick can determine that it's the same ritual to summon Dak'lar that he reviewed at the Institute, but there are some subtle changes. The ritual, judging by the paper, was recently copied, and the text itself had been modified so as to indicate to the person casting it that Dak'lar, instead of eating him, would grant him great power.

"You're not a princess," says Cade with a pause. "Are you?"

"No, I'm not," Z replies, then grins, and adds. "Just a duchess. Exiled, actually. From the Fairy Court."

Back at the Hoffmann Institute​

Stanfield and the rest of the administrative staff are waiting for Team Libra back in the briefing room, where they stand up and offer a round of applause before beginning the debriefing. The team reports there immediately after checking in their gear, and handing off Lieutenant Quinn to Mr. Smith, who was waiting for them in the entrance. He takes her off, and you can hear him begin his recruitment pitch, and explanation. Another acoylte from the medical team is waiting, and heals your wounds. Nobody's going to have any awkward questions asked about stab wounds and gunshot holes when they go home later that night.

"You did a hell of a job, agents," Stanfield said, standing up. "I just got off the phone with Dr. Nakami himself. He's impressed." Dr Itohiro Nakami III, the Director of the Institute himself. His picture, as well as the pictures of his father and grandfather, were displayed prominently in the meeting room. Judging from what you'd heard around the water cooler, for him to call up and offer congratulations was a rare event.

"He also told me to authorize you for level two access to the magical armory. Meredith, you can keep the sword, you've more than earned it. I've also got something else for you. These represent a small fortune in magical gear, so take care of it. They basically bend the laws of probability a little bit in your favor when people start shooting at you. Given your track record, that's gonna come in handy sooner, rather than later.," he said with a grin. He handed over a small box that, when opened, contained five, simple silver rings.

[sblock]You each get a ring of protection +1.[/sblock]

"The rest of this case is just clean up. Harlan will head up a cleanup team, and we'll work with our contacts in the FBI to get any remaining members of this Cult off the streets. The only real loose end is Cliff Kenzington," Stanfield said, with a glance at Nick.

"We had our Hong Kong office try to trace the call. They found his apartment, but by the looks of it, he cleared out shortly after you spoke to him. Left a few kilos of C4 behind too, blew the whole building. We're picking through the rubble, but the guys don't think they're going to find anything. We're putting him on our top priority list, and passing his name along to other organizations."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads