Dark*Matter: Discovery, The Delphi Paradox

iwatt

First Post
"Let's go see what Comrade K can tell us. Ever wonder what color the Russian MIBs wore? Green? Would that make them MIGs?" The data search had been an unenjoyable experience for Larry, who had spent msot of the time playing with his Segway. "better get some HUMINT before we go air dropping into a radioactive wasteland.

Friadoc

Explorer
"It's about as safe as here," says Cade with a grin as he stands. "Or don't you realize how much lead from the paint we're breathin' in?"

"But, yeah, let's go talk to Boris about Moose and Squirrell," says Cade as he stands up from the PC.

Falkus

Explorer
Fedorov was at his desk by this time, going through various reports and other paperwork that go with a man of his position. He listened to the information the group had gathered, and shook his head again.

"Suicide. Going there would be absolutely suicide. Those old waste dumps are as close to hell as you can get, except it's warm in hell. And than there's whatever it is that caused the base to be sealed in the first place. I'd bet anything that it's still there."

He sighed. "I'm not going to talk you out of this, am I? Very well. I can provide you with armored radiation suits, a plane and a helicopter. I'll bill the expense to your office, I certainly don't have room in my budget to accommodate this. I assume that you'll want to leave immediately after talking to Boris, no?"

Friadoc

Explorer
"If that's where the trail leads," says Cade simply enough. "Then that's where it leads."

"We really appreciate the help, Fedorov," adds Cade. "I'm sure your own case load didn't get easier by us being added to it, plus I'm sure having a bunch of imperialist running dogs dropped in your back yard ain't all that grand either, but my team and I, we're grateful."

"In fact, if there is any requisitions that you might need for your office," continues Cade. "That'd help things work better overall, then add it to the list and I'll sign off on it."

After the barest pause, Cade finishes by saying, "I wouldn't wanna lose this little girl, period, but especially because some bureaucrat didn't give you, or us, the resources needed. We're all on the same team here, regardless of borders."

Falkus

Explorer
Fedorov paused for a minute, then slipped half a dozen forms from one file to another.

"At least you've been less difficult to deal with than most American agents. And we may be on the same side, but we do things very different here in Russia than you do in the United States. Unlike the US, where you have the luxury of 'investigation', here, due to our lack of resources, we often have very little time between discovering something, and the stage where it starts ripping off agents' heads. Remember that, and you might just get out of this alive."

"A van is waiting outside. Unless there's anything else you wish to ask?"

Friadoc

Explorer
"That's about par for the course with us, too," says Cade with a half-smile before looking to the team to see if they have anything to say or ask. "One moment everything is going according to plan and then the bodies start to hit the floor."

After they do or don't say anything, Cade adds, "Looks like we're golden."

iwatt

First Post
Nodding at Fedorov, Larry leaves as well. As they get ready to get on the vans, he looks at Meri and Cade. "If Boris knows something, I need to know how far we're going to push him. If he knows something, and it isn't included in the files already, we're going to need to soften him up first. Maybe we should bring him a gift? a pricey vodka bottle might just do the trick."

Friadoc

Explorer
"We'll push as hard as we need to," Cade says. "We owe it to her."

"I suggest cash or something else that's worth money," says Cade. "He can buy his own vice and self-destruction, though. But, it's your call, you're better with people than me."

Shayuri

First Post
"Gift," Meri says decisively. "A gift means a lot more to people than money. Money is...cold and kind of dirty, like a bribe. A gift is warm, and it's a sign of regard. If we want to get on his good side, we buy him a gift. Offering money would probably just insult him."

She adds, "Unless he asks for it, or wants to negotiate."

Remove ads