Dark*Matter: Discovery, The Delphi Paradox

Falkus

Explorer
"Fedorov arranged for a pickup. The Tokyo Institute branch has a long range helicopter at its disposal," the man replied. "Just call the Institute and confirm it, will you? It's freezing out here."

Friadoc

Explorer
Cade will quickly check out the images sent, as well as contact the Institute to confirm that the pick-up flight is legit, before giving the team the go ahead to mount up and get the hell out of dodge.

OOC

We've got SATPhone capabilities, right? I was pretty sure we did, but just making sure.

Falkus

Explorer
OOC: Aaagh, sorry I didn't reply earlier. For some reason, I didn't get an e-mail notification that a post had been made.

The Institute confirms that the helicopter pickup is legit. They also confirm that they've got a jet waiting at the nearest international airport to get the team back to Chicago.

We've got SATPhone capabilities, right? I was pretty sure we did, but just making sure.

OOC: Institute cellphones can get a signal anywhere from New York to the Antarctic.

Friadoc

Explorer
"They're legit, folks," says Cade over the team comms. "The Institute confirmed it."

With that, Cade will help anyone onto the chopper who needs help, waiting until the last person is loaded before he hops on himself.

"Let's get us home," says Cade to the helicopter pilot. "Before my cat switches loyalties."

iwatt

First Post
"Just call the Institute and confirm it, will you? It's freezing out here."

Once they're safely strapped into the chopper, the con-man laughs at the operative. "You don't think I enjoyed standing out there like a target, did you. Just can't be to careful. Seems like everybody and there mother knows what we're up to."

Turning to Cade he adds. "About that. I think we've got to start figuring out how come information leaks so much. Or at least have us be the ones doing the spying for a change."

Shayuri

First Post
Meri climbs up into the chopper, awkwardly clutching her cargo with her. She's especially careful with the urn, handing it up first before trying to climb in. After that she's quiet, just staring at the objects on her lap...aware now that she can somehow feel them, like grains of sand in the back of her head. She could point to them with her eyes closed. It seemed useful maybe...but why was it happening at all? And what was next?

Falkus

Explorer
Once the team is aboard the helicopter, it takes off and heads back to Tokyo, with a speed and range you've come to expect from institute vehicles. The base quickly vanished in the distance, and you were able to turn your mind to the future.

Experts in Tokyo were able to identify the items you recovered while you waited for your flight. As per direct 8942-C.23, you were allowed to keep them as they directly benefited your activities.

[sblock]
Wand of the lesser magus: stores three spell levels and lets silent spell be used twice a day for free

Shield of the Confronter: +2 shield bonus with a +1 magic bonus and no armor penalty.

Holster of Concealment: Turns any gun invisible in the holster and can be drawn instantly.

Blade Focusing Ring: Gives a +2 to hit and a +3 to damage with a psi-blade.

Cufflinks of Disguise: Casts change self on the wearer three times a day.

Watch of Power: Gives the owner four extra power points a day.[/sblock]

One week later
With time and proper tools, Nick was able to study the ruby and the stone more thoroughly, and determine how to use it to remove an ephemeral, thus allowing Carol to be saved. Since Team Libra had already had contact with her and her family, another team was assigned to perform ritual.

A day later, it was reported a complete success. The ephemeral had been removed from Carol and stored. The young girl was recovering fully, and was giving no signs of any more prophetic statements. With the ruby, stone and ephemerals in position, the Institute itself would now carefully conduct their own research into prophecy, using volunteers and controlled environments.

As for the vase containing the psychotic Ephemeral from the Russian base, that was taken into custody by the Institute, to be stored in a secure location they said.

As for the shards of the sword, the Institute still couldn't make heads or tell of them. They defied all conventional, unconventional and downright supernatural analysis. Given their obvious link to Meredith, it was decided to give them into her custody for the time being, to see if anything new developer.

Meanwhile
The Mega-Ton Mega-Secure Mega-Safes were very expensive storage devices used by the Hoffmann Institute, products of alien technology. Only a few were made each year due to the expense, time and rarity of the material needed. In previous eras, new safes were tested by hiding them at the ground zero of nuclear test sites and recovering them after the blast.

Once sealed, the safes could only be opened or breached by a complex array of electromagnets that only existed in one location. This only rarely happened, something put into one of these safes was put there with the understanding that it was something that should never be seen again.

It was into one of these safes that the vase containing the psychotic Ephemeral was sealed by the Hoffmann Institute Special Branch, and then it was dropped into the Mariana Trench, the deepest part of the Pacific Ocean.

OOC: Mission complete! You each receive 6500 EXP!

Last edited:

Friadoc

Explorer
"Very true," says Cade to Larry. "Although sometimes I wonder if I really wanna know the answer."

OOC

Awesome adventure, Falkus! Well done everyone.

Plus, woot! Leveled! Earned fifth and almost got six, dang it. ;) Just 500 xp short. *laughs*

That's how the dice roll, though.

I can't wait to see what's next. :D

Remove ads