Spelljammer Dark Sun confirmed? Or, the mysterious case of the dissappearing Spelljammer article...

It was interesting, but that doesn't mean it would be a good idea to force it to happen.
Eh, we can't say, because they gave up before doing it. See? They gave up.

But its alright. I have enough 3rd party that I don't need it. Best I can hope from WotC now is just enough psionic subclasses and feats to make it fun in Dark Sun.

Yaarel

He Mage
That doesn't mean people don't want a new psioncis system, that means they want one that involves spells. NOte that Mearls suggestions, which was using spell slots on psionic cantrips to augment them, never actually saw a UA release, despite being a very good idea for psionics. They basically took the easy way out.
It was interesting, but that doesn't mean it would be a good idea to force it to happen.
It is a solid spellcasting mechanic.

"At Higher Levels" is already a normal spellcasting mechanic, since the 2014 Players Handbook.

But the mechanic can apply to cantrips to augment or add an effect. "At Higher Levels. When you cast this cantrip using a spell slot ...."

This works great for any power source, but especially for the psionic source. A cantrip like Psychokinesis is always on for a Tiny size, but can affect larger sizes if applying a spell slot.

Meanwhile, cantrips, spell slots, and spells all continue to work normal.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eh, we can't say, because they gave up before doing it. See? They gave up.

But its alright. I have enough 3rd party that I don't need it. Best I can hope from WotC now is just enough psionic subclasses and feats to make it fun in Dark Sun.
Not moving forward with a project is not necessarily lazy or giving up, if it isn't something actively desired by their customers. Making products isn't always helpful to the bottom line, pr the health of the hobby.

Reynard

Legend
I, for one, do not and never have understood the appeal of Dark Sun aside from Brom's art. Even as a hardcore sword and sorcery setting it isn't the best one TSR created. Not only is the Known World a better "Hyborean age" style mash of Earth analogs, Red Steel is a straight up better setting. But, obviously, I am in the minority since of all the settings they could have resurrected for 4E they chose it. If they do publish DS I think it is a clear signal of the end of the edition.

I, for one, do not and never have understood the appeal of Dark Sun aside from Brom's art. Even as a hardcore sword and sorcery setting it isn't the best one TSR created. Not only is the Known World a better "Hyborean age" style mash of Earth analogs, Red Steel is a straight up better setting. But, obviously, I am in the minority since of all the settings they could have resurrected for 4E they chose it. If they do publish DS I think it is a clear signal of the end of the edition.
Brom's art is just so good that it deserves a setting that actually evokes the fantasy that art represents.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Define "old." I'm 45, have been playing since '91, and I'm more than happy with the stuff they're producing. I don't like everything, of course, but nobody is expected to like everything. Am I enough of an "old folk"?
I think the point is that alienating 2E version purists is not really a priority for WotC, based on Ravenloft and Spelljammer.

They definitely aren't ringing to alienate older gamers (the designers are older gamers, y'all!)...but they ain't losing any sleep over the prospect of some older fans not being enthused.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Black Hole Dark Sun!!!

In my eyes
Indisposed
In disguises no one knows
Hides the face
Lies the snake
And the sun in my disgrace
Boiling heat
Summer stench
Neath the black, the sky looks dead
Call my name
Through the cream
And I'll hear you scream again
Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain?
Black hole sun
Won't you come
Won't you come
Won't you come

I think the point is that alienating 2E version purists is not really a priority for WotC, based on Ravenloft and Spelljammer.

They definitely aren't ringing to alienate older gamers (the designers are older gamers, y'all!)...but they ain't losing any sleep over the prospect of some older fans not being enthused.
Eh, I don't think they've alienated many 2e Spelljammmer fans. The phlogiston was by far the least interesting facet of the setting, and very few are showing any signs of being upset that it's been replaced by the Astral. Beyond that, the changes seem fairly minimal...

Remove ads