Spelljammer Dark Sun confirmed? Or, the mysterious case of the dissappearing Spelljammer article...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Dark Sun is also mentioned in the PHB. It just as easily be "Here's the location of Athas if you want to run it based on old material."
The presence of Dark Sun exclusive Monsters in the Spelljammer Bestisry, and the presence of 12 distinct worlds in the accompanying Campaign, suggest that there will be at least a several page visit to Athas.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Winninger went out of his way on Twitter to say that the Radiant Citadel isn't a replacement for Sigil, and in addition to the recent UA with direct Planescape references there are a bunch scattered throughout Monsters of the Multiverse. If anything, all the multiverse hustle and bustle might make a Planescape product more likely, to tie in the unified cosmology.
Absolutely could be. Though I'm leaning more toward an AP or other product for Planescape if it comes out. I took the classic settings releases to mean actual setting books and products. To me, an AP set in a world doesn't really qualify. But I could absolutely be wrong. 100%.
I would propose fornDark sun that itnwould be a very, very good fit for a follow-up to what they are doing with dragonlance: a big Advebture with a Setting section, that ties into a boxed battle game to tie in to the campaign. Dark Sun was, primarily, a Battle System showpiece after all.
Yeah, Dark Sun as originally conceived was a Battle System showpiece...but that plan was dropped before release. There was only one Dark Sun book that even bothered to directly connect with Battle System as far as I'm aware. That was Dragon Kings. So saying the Dark Sun setting as a whole, as actually published was a Battle System showpiece...is not at all accurate.
Ah, sorry, I meant the first explicit named rope in relation to the Spelljammer product, though we had Sussex out a cameo was likely for the reasons outlined previously.
Sure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Absolutely could be. Though I'm leaning more toward an AP or other product for Planescape if it comes out. I took the classic settings releases to mean actual setting books and products. To me, an AP set in a world doesn't really qualify. But I could absolutely be wrong. 100%.
Planescape seems like a good fit for a format similar to Spelljammer: one book for Sigil and player material, one book for weird Planar Monsters unlikely to appear anywhere else, and an episodic Planes-hopping Adventure book.
Yeah, Dark Sun as originally conceived was a Battle System showpiece...but that plan was dropped before release. There was only one Dark Sun book that even bothered to directly connect with Battle System as far as I'm aware. That was Dragon Kings. So saying the Dark Sun setting as a whole, as actually published was a Battle System showpiece...is not at all accurate.
Well, as actually published is nit more important for a 5E product than the conception: and the geopolitical setup of the Tablelands is perfect for a classic Fire Embkem style war campaign by design.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, as actually published is nit more important for a 5E product than the conception: and the geopolitical setup of the Tablelands is perfect for a classic Fire Embkem style war campaign by design.
Well, if they want us old folks to buy it they might want to care about the old settings as actually published back-in-the-day. Everyone I know that's a Dragonlance fan is excited about the module but couldn't care less about the battle game. I have basically no interest in Dragonlance either way, but I've been a fan of Dark Sun since it was first released...and I couldn't care less about a Dark Sun battle game. And not to put too fine a point on it, TSR and WotC's track record for battle or skirmish games is...not stellar.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Well, if they want us old folks to buy it they might want to care about the old settings as actually published back-in-the-day. Everyone I know that's a Dragonlance fan is excited about the module but couldn't care less about the battle game. I have basically no interest in Dragonlance either way, but I've been a fan of Dark Sun since it was first released...and I couldn't care less about a Dark Sun battle game. And not to put too fine a point on it, TSR and WotC's track record for battle or skirmish games is...not stellar.
At this point I'm pretty certain they don't care much if we old folks buy their stuff. I mean, i'm sure it would be nice.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, that's weird. Google cache is your friend if you want to read the article. It's nothing revelatory. Most likely it's the art that got it pulled...though if that is the case...why not replace the art instead of pulling the article? Not sure about quoting the text as they have pulled it. But it was publicly available for at least 12 hours.

@Morrus any suggestions on how to proceed or not?

Remove ads