• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Dark Sun confirmed? Or, the mysterious case of the dissappearing Spelljammer article...

Ondath

Hero
I actually find all of that good reason to believe that Athas is a good destination for a Spelljsmming Adventure: like a deserted island full of magic and treasure in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle.
Except there's little to no treasure, and magic which you can use without issue everywhere else in the multiverse actually harms all life around you. I just don't think why a party from somewhere would like to go to Athas. A DM might want to do a "Your ship crash lands in this incredibly hostile planet!" scenario, but I think even that ruins Athas's own lore just to make a quick one-shot adventure. The larger themes of a post-apocalyptic setting where the only hope is to fight the oppressors is just gone when you have the better option of getting the eff out of there with a ship.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Except there's little to no treasure, and magic which you can use without issue everywhere else in the multiverse actually harms all life around you. I just don't think why a party from somewhere would like to go to Athas. A DM might want to do a "Your ship crash lands in this incredibly hostile planet!" scenario, but I think even that ruins Athas's own lore just to make a quick one-shot adventure. The larger themes of a post-apocalyptic setting where the only hope is to fight the oppressors is just gone when you have the better option of getting the eff out of there with a ship.
I don’t think WotC is thinking about it that deeply. I think they see a demand for classic settings to return, and thought reviving spelljammer would be a convenient way to bring back another in-demand setting as a cameo.

I love Athas, but I don't think its sacrosanct enough to not be changed.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am guessing there is some trea, proof the MacGuffin variety, hidden in a dungeon.

nevin

Hero
Doesn't sound that much different from original Spelljammer, there were creatures that would deplete your oxygen, and gravity planes were an issue even if they didn't effect the other ship. You could jump over to the other ship ane boom gravity is going a different direction. It always had a steampunk, Victorian scifi vibe.

nevin

Hero
I don't remember Athas having little or no treasure. The problem was magic items you did find were going to upset people if you used them and you might end up dead, or a Sorcerer kings minions might try to take them from you. The players in my game had several, The mage had his spells carved into his Staves in a secret code that only he knew. There were Psionic items , if it was almost no magic items that was your DM not the . Now there were no magic items shops unless you were connected to the correct underground resources, and gaining thier trust was difficult

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I kinda hope they dont go for Planescape next. 3 releases about plane hopping stuff is a little much since I prefer some more down-to-earth (literally) D&D.

At least Dragonlance isnt Astral adventuring, but I miss more basic adventure stuff like the first published adventures or Saltmarsh.

Just my opinion, tho :p
As much as I love planescape, I agree, it would be good to get something else instead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads