• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun Giant PC Race (Built as a Medium Creature)... thoughts?

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
This is my attempt to create a balanced Dark Sun half-giant that FEELS large, but mechanically speaking, is medium in size (to keep with 5e design parameters). Thoughts?

Medium Half-Giant
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Size: Half-Giants stand around 9 to 10 feet tall and can weigh close to 1,000 pounds. Your size is medium, but you tower over other medium humanoids. Many of your non-player character peers are actually of large size.
Speed: Your base land speed is 35 feet.
Giant’s Endurance: You can focus yourself to occasionally shrug off injury. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a d12. Add your Constitution modifier to the number rolled, and reduce the damage by that total. After you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Giant’s Hunger: You must eat and drink 4 times the quantity of rations required by other medium sized creatures.
Giant’s Strength:You have advantage when making Strength checks to break an object.
Hybrid Nature: You have two creature types: humanoid and giant. You can be affected by a game effect that works on either of your creature types.
Long-Limbed: When you make a melee attack on your turn, your reach for it is 5 feet greater than normal.
Mercurial Nature: The magic that allows human and giant blood to coexist leaves the half-giant’s personality naturally unhinged. As a result, you suffer disadvantage on any saves versus charm-based effects. In order to counterbalance this mercurial disability, half-giants will often attach themselves to the personality of a friend or mentor, mimicking their personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws in order to somewhat reorient their own persona. During a long rest, you may choose one member of your party to mimic. Until your next long rest, you take on their personality traits, ideal, bond, and flaw as well as your own.
Powerful Build.You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Last edited:

Still creates balance issues. I tried something like that.

Well, one-handed simple weapons do a d6. Which is comparable to a maul or greatsword. So it's good, but not *that* good. And a two-handed one would be 2d8, which increase damage by 4.5. But, for a martial weapon wielder, it might only boost damage from 1d12 (6.5) to 2d8 (9), or 2.5 per hit. So it's good, but shouldn't be that much more broken than other racial powers.

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
I'm not really interested in discussing the issue, Jester. I tried it. It creates a variety of problems (from balance issues to illogical oddities). I'm only interested in finding out if the stat block in my OP is both a) balanced and b) suggestive of a large creature.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
It's easily more powerful than the Goliath, the existing Giant-kin race. So from that perspective, no it's not balanced.

If you are planning on using it in an exclusively Dark Sun campaign, it may be fine. Still seems kind of strong to me.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It's clunky and convoluted.

The first step is to make it more elegant to reflect the design of 5e. Mercurial Nature is a mess.

If you're doing a half-giant as medium creature then we already have the Goliath.

I think a large PC race could work with sufficient downsides and constrained to Dark Sun where they will face other difficulties.

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
It's easily more powerful than the Goliath, the existing Giant-kin race. So from that perspective, no it's not balanced.

If you are planning on using it in an exclusively Dark Sun campaign, it may be fine. Still seems kind of strong to me.

Cool. Would you mind going into a little more detail about what feels too strong? Also, how does its hunger and disadvantage on Charm based effects factor into your estimation?

Last edited:

Remove ads