D&D General Dark Sun Nostalgia Thread [+]

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
It's a race of beings, described as sentient but heavily despised by even sorcerer kings because of their predatory ways. They don't distinguish who they take to eat and were probably a metaphor for the merciless, morally gray world.
cool
I always wanted a PC-playable jozhal.
a player able dinosaur would be cool as that is what they look like to me.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I always wanted a PC-playable jozhal.
1639772008463.png

Despite being a prominent, highly intelligent race (described in the books as enslaved along with other humanoids to work on Kalak's ziggurat), they didn't get much love during any version of Dark Sun. Since their lifestyle was pretty much like that of Athasian halflings (waste not, including flesh that could be food), their only other niche was stealing magic items from players due to some innate attraction to magic. Which would piss off your players kind of like kender would in Dragonlance. Which would lead to fewer jozhal in the world.

Individual black and white sketches not so much. ... Maybe a sorcerer king or something around defiling?
According to the recent comicbook.com Dark Sun retrospective, on the topic of the following painting of Neeva:
Artist Gerald Brom, who is known professionally as Brom, had painted the piece at home and brought it in to adorn the studio. Denning recalls, "We came to that, looked at it, and said, 'Oh, my god. That's Dark Sun.'"

Attachments

• Neeva.jpg
    Neeva.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 74

OK. The covers look familiar. I must have seen them at the bookstore back in the day. I'll have to see if I can get them from the library or something. (I do need some new books to read at the moment ...)
I certainly second the Lynn Abbey novels. They're probably the best D&D writing ever done, in my opinion.

Advance warning though - the third of her books largely deals with the aftermath of the Prism Pentad. So if you're a bit fuzzy on the state of Athas post those books, you might want to take a refresher.

pukunui

Legend
I certainly second the Lynn Abbey novels. They're probably the best D&D writing ever done, in my opinion.
Cool. Is there one in particular I should start with?

Advance warning though - the third of her books largely deals with the aftermath of the Prism Pentad. So if you're a bit fuzzy on the state of Athas post those books, you might want to take a refresher.
Thanks. As I said previously, I’ve only read the first of the pentad. I suppose I should get around to reading the others at some point.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Oh Dark Sun, how I love thee... I loved my original box set into tattered shreds of worn cardboard. The first campaign I ran was a slaughter fest. My friends had made a backup character. We blew through those in the first hour of play. We spent the rest of the night getting full character trees going and played a lot more cautious. So good

Art by Mike "Daarken" Lim
darksundaarken.jpg

Remove ads