• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun

Graf

Explorer
yeah. But there are lots of psionics haters and psionics will at least somewhat different (i.e. Being charm focused instead of the more muscular power set in 2e/3.5.

They could push the timeline forward 100s of years or just rewrite it to put psionics to a lower level (or restrict it to one race like Eberron).

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Fallen Seraph said:
They have talked about Dark Sun being one of the possible candidates for their "3 Books per Setting per Year" along with both possible and definite; Planescape, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Eberron, Dragonlance and Spelljammer.

Where was Dragonlance mentioned?

rkwoodard

First Post
But

Bacris said:
I think they'd alienate a lot of the Dark Sun fan-base if they did that.

That was a significant factor of Dark Sun's draw - it was the "psionic" setting.

Yes, on the other hand, in the 30th anniversary book, the quotes from the original designers stated that afterwards they felt that making everybody psionic was too over the top and probably a mistake.
So, it would still probably be a psionic type setting, but I doubt it would be all PCs are psionic.

RK

Korgoth

First Post
rkwoodard said:
Yes, on the other hand, in the 30th anniversary book, the quotes from the original designers stated that afterwards they felt that making everybody psionic was too over the top and probably a mistake.
So, it would still probably be a psionic type setting, but I doubt it would be all PCs are psionic.

RK

The psionic-ness was the part I liked the least anyway. Mighty Conan needs no foolish psionics!

No matter what, I'll always ignore the ruinous metaplot. Including the Prism Pentad, etc. into the continuity was so stupid! "OK guys, as you have your climactic battle, the invincible NPC mary sue heroes slay the REAL bad guy and REALLY save the whole world, also destroying most nastyness in the process. But at least you can know that you helped, in some tiny and insignificant way, these unsurpassed and huge-schlonged heroes who will always be cooler than you."

pukunui

Legend
Fallen Seraph said:
Basing this off the fact that the Official 4E Forum has a Dragonlance Forum. I don't see why they would have it, unless they plan to make a 4E Dragonlance.
You beat me to it. I was going to point out that Dragonlance has its own 4e campaign setting subforum whereas Dark Sun does not (EDIT: I suppose it would go in the "other campaign settings" subforum).

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
I expect to see Ravenloft and Dragonlance before Dark Sun, Planescape, or Spelljammer, since those were actually popular enough for other companies to license during 3e's life.

Graf

Explorer
Dragonlance?
Hm.

We'll see.
I see them being pretty anxious about touching DL. It's closely tied to a specific set of authors who were producing a fairly popular (?) line of products before WotC cut them off at the knees.

And, by the time the third setting rolls out, we'll be on the 3rd or 4th Player's Handbook. Things like Knights, Dragonriders, will all already be available.

And, finally, you have a bigger verison of the problem with FR, the fact that the metaplot of the game centers around a handful of major NPCs and the PCs aren't supposed to do much.
(Obviously most people don't run DL that way, but it's a perception.)

You'd either have to push the timeline past the 5th age to make space, gut the setting to make space for 4e style PCs, or -redo- the Dragonlance adventures (the ones that allowed your party to replace the characters in the books).
Actually that last idea would be pretty hot.
Of course, you'd wind up with a setting without Raistlin (or however you spell it).

Anyway, what i'm saying is
  • that your DL cannon is large and popular.
  • Powerful non-wizards people (Weis, Hickman) would have a lot of impact on how well it sold.
  • Its a traditional fantasy world (i.e. it's pretty elves, wizards in robes, powerful dragons, dwarf-dwarfs, etc.)
  • It's beyond tractiongot too much traction , it's been it's own, successful, product line several times. It really only suffers because it's owned by Wizards and wizards has traditionally split marketing efforts between FR/Greyhawk/DL.
I think all of that argues against it being the 3rd setting. It will almost certainly be done, but probably later, after a more non-traditional setting.

• The Dark Sun cannon is loathed by the fanbase.
  • There are no "outside authorities" (except maybe brom, and you could easily hire him to do the art I think, and help with the reconceptualization).
  • It's a non-traditional world, which will be attractive given that at least the first two settings are pretty much "standard" fantasy.
  • It's got some "traction" but it's still a cult thing. More people are interested in it than have actually sat down and played it. People would be curious.
So after doing two settings that are "normal" (wizards, fighters, dragons, long lived wise elves, etc etc -- FR/Eberron) and one high-fantasy mystic-journeys (astral)seafaring game (the SJ/Planescape mashup) then they'll probably be inclined to do something gritty, and tough.
The Psionics power source will have been thoroughly tested. They'll have had time to develop a complete set of new rules for things like "armor-lite" setting, to think about preserving/defiling, etc.

Anyway, I think DL has a forum because it's popular now, but that support will be limited to DDI for a number of years.

Last edited:

Remove ads