Dark Sun

Korgoth

First Post
I thought I saw someplace that they were planning on or thinking about doing a Dark Sun setting book for 4E. Does somebody have a source for that, or was that just wishful thinking on my part?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
They have talked about Dark Sun being one of the possible candidates for their "3 Books per Setting per Year" along with both possible and definite; Planescape, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Eberron, Dragonlance and Spelljammer.

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
hong said:
Dark Sum? Forbidden Mathematics of the Sith?
You mean Dim Sun, a depressingly unlit world delivered by a fast talking person on a dinner cart.

(Oh, I am so witty).

GnomeWorks said:
For some reason, I can't see Dark Sun working as a 4e setting.

You might be right... But I think it could work if the designers allowed themselves to put out a setting that excludes certain content, and reimagines others. I think that is probably the major reason why they refused to support Athas in 3rd: editors refused to bother with any setting that said: "you can't use X." Thats why Paladins appeared in Dragon's Dark Sun magazine article.

I think the power source idea SCREAMS Dark Sun. I think a Dark Sun game would work better in 4e than in 3rd. It would be cool to see Thri-Kreen and Half Giants done the 4e way. And it is insanely popular, if they would only just allow themselves to use it...

pukunui

Legend
Plus Dark Sun already uses the Points of Light concept ...

I think it would work great with the 4e rules. I can't wait to see if they decide to revive it or not.

arscott

First Post
If it's popularity on these boards is any indication, we'll be seeing a Dark Sun in 2010, right after FR and Eberron.

Graf

Explorer
They will revamp anything they release. In that context I think we'll see a Soelljamer/Planescape mashup first, based on the astral sea thing.

Dark Sun does have a lot of potential as a setting, even if they change it extensively they'll keep the branding, just to leverage it. Etc.

Be interesting to see if they keep psionics as being as important as it was in the original.

Bacris

First Post
Graf said:
Be interesting to see if they keep psionics as being as important as it was in the original.

I think they'd alienate a lot of the Dark Sun fan-base if they did that.

That was a significant factor of Dark Sun's draw - it was the "psionic" setting.

Remove ads