• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun

PeterWeller

First Post
I honestly couldn't care if it took place before or after the Prism Pentad, but I would prefer it to take place before. Really, the PP didn't change the setting all that much. Freeing Tyr was the major paradigm shift. Borys is dead? So what, Dregoth is coming. Raaj was always an anarchic hellhole so killing its Sorcerer Queen didn't accomplish much. Same goes with Balic and Draaj. Both of those city-states operate much the same they did before their respective kings were killed and imprisoned. Finally, Hammanu, Nibenay and Lalali Puy cooperating more makes the setting more scary, not less.

That being said, the changes and additions of the second boxed set do "dilute" the setting in a lot of ways. Saragar is cool, but a giant inland sea doesn't really vibe with the desert planet feel. Same thing with the cliff dwelling Halflings and their weird biotech. That stuff doesn't feel so post-apocalyptic to me. The Kreen Empire creates to much of an outside force that could cause the Tablelands to unite, and that would suck.

As for the Mary Sue effect, "Freedom" is the only module tie-in where Mary Sue rears her ugly head. In the second module, the players get to flip it. They become the real heroes, setting up and executing the plan that allows Rikus to launch his ambush and defeat Urik's army. After that, he leads the army of Tyr into one disaster after another, while the players go off and do their own thing, assuming they don't stick with the army, and even if they do, once the battle of Urik is over, they're pretty much left to their own, entirely unrelated quest that leads them to helping the ascendence of the first modern Avangion and saving the world from a terrible psionic threat. The "Heroes of Tyr" just kind of screw about during all this; their big world saving adventure doesn't happen until ten years later.

TheSleepyKing

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
They have talked about Dark Sun being one of the possible candidates for their "3 Books per Setting per Year" along with both possible and definite; Planescape, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Eberron, Dragonlance and Spelljammer.

I wouldn't write off Al-Qadim, either. It's less "out there" than Dark Sun, and has a pulpy feel that probably gels well with 4e.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
TheSleepyKing said:
I wouldn't write off Al-Qadim, either. It's less "out there" than Dark Sun, and has a pulpy feel that probably gels well with 4e.
Well there hasn't been any mention of Al-Qadim yet, I was simply listing off those settings we have seen some reference too.

TheSleepyKing

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Well there hasn't been any mention of Al-Qadim yet, I was simply listing off those settings we have seen some reference too.

True enough. Aside from the occasional forum post by a WoTC staff member exclaiming their love of Al-Qadim there has been (sadly) not much said about it as a potential setting.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I can't imagine Dark Sun working with 4e. It's not pulpy at ALL. Most everything I've seen on 4e has been "The players are awesome heroes with sunglasses who jump out of airplanes and fight monsters!"

Dark Sun, on the other hand, is basically "You're born. Next to you is a pile of dirt. This makes up of all of your belongings. Maybe if you're lucky, a team mate will die and you can snap off their bones to make a weapon."

Fallen Seraph

First Post
That "superhero" (I use it in quotations, since I find it just as grounded as any other setting) is simply all up to the way the game is played, 4e is no less epic or gritty then any other game.

I think actually your reference to only owning dirt actually works in 4e favour. Since the rules are much less magic-item dependent, so you can have characters with just a simple spear made from bone, etc. and actually fair effectively.

Graf

Explorer
ProfessorCirno said:
I can't imagine Dark Sun working with 4e. It's not pulpy at ALL. Most everything I've seen on 4e has been "The players are awesome heroes with sunglasses who jump out of airplanes and fight monsters!"

Dark Sun, on the other hand, is basically "You're born. Next to you is a pile of dirt. This makes up of all of your belongings. Maybe if you're lucky, a team mate will die and you can snap off their bones to make a weapon."
Are you familiar with Dark Sun at all?
It's the setting where you rolled 5d4 for stats and started off at 3rd level with free psionics...

The first adventure you killed your sorcerer-king and created the first free city.

I don't really know why you feel that 4e is pulpy?

Eberron? Pulpy.
4e isn't particularly pulpy. And nobody mentions airplanes. If anything the fact that 4e doesn't have a fly spell that lasts more than 5 minutes until epic levels suggests it's a bit more gritty than 3.5.
[edit: I realize you may be trolling to see if you can start a 4e sux/rox conversation, but I figure I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.]

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
Dark Sun characters...

:1: ...started at 3rd-level to increase player character survivability.
:2: ...used 5d4 for stats, resulting in scores of 5-20 instead of 3-18.
:3: ...were often wild talents, which could make a character ridiculously powerful.
:4: ...were often non-traditional races, such as thri-kreen and half-giants.

I think a 4th Edition version would work just fine.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Yes, I'm familier with Dark Sun. Fun setting, but not one you use often. But it really is meant to be played as gritty and dark as possible to get the full effect from it.

As for the pulpy feel, it's just the vibe I've gotten from 4e. Between ACTION POINTS and "every character is an awesome hero!" I could be wrong, granted - this is, like just about everything on these forums, pure speculation.

The Little Raven

First Post
ProfessorCirno said:
Between ACTION POINTS and "every character is an awesome hero!"

Between stats higher than D&D norms (back when it really made a HUGE difference), the chance for anyone to conceivably be a wild talent (and possibly more powerful than a real psion), and 9-foot-tall mantis characters, Dark Sun was all about you being an awesome hero.

Remove ads