• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darkness vs. Major Image (and others)

Nareau

Explorer
The good guys cast Darkness, knowing their darkvision will give them an advantage in ambushing their enemy. The room they were in was already dim, so now it's totally dark.

Their enemy happens to be a spellcaster, and he casts Major Image. The illusion is that of a fire elemental. Does the light emitted from the illusion pierce the darkness (ie, raise it up to dim or normal lighting)?

It's a 3rd level spell, higher than Darkness, so I'm tempted to say yes. On the other hand, Major Image says nothing about creating a light source.

What about color spray? Does that spell create light (which would therefore be suppressed by the Darkness, what with being a lower-level spell)? I'm tempted to say it does work, because the spell description doesn't say anything about it creating flashing lights, only colors. Even though darkvision only gives black and white vision.

tylermalan

First Post
I have absolutely no idea what the answers to your questions are, but I thought I would mention that colors are only visible in the presence of light. So, if Color Spray creates colors but no light, and darkness removes all the light that would be reflected off the magic-stuff of which the colors are made, then you couldn't see the color spray.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Darkness doesn't help Darkvision, it doesn't make the room darker either.
It makes shadowy illumination (nothing more and allows nothing less).

So the enemies don't get any benefit.

frankthedm

First Post
Darkness doesn't help Darkvision, it doesn't make the room darker either.
It makes shadowy illumination (nothing more and allows nothing less).
[MENTION=61375]Starbuck_II[/MENTION] , note this is the pathfinder forum, not legacy / 3.5...

This spell causes an object to radiate darkness out to a 20-foot radius. This darkness causes the illumination level in the area to drop one step, from bright light to normal light, from normal light to dim light, or from dim light to darkness. This spell has no effect in an area that is already dark. Creatures with light vulnerability or sensitivity take no penalties in normal light. All creatures gain concealment (20% miss chance) in dim light. All creatures gain total concealment (50% miss chance) in darkness. Creatures with darkvision can see in an area of dim light or darkness without penalty. Nonmagical sources of light, such as torches and lanterns, do not increase the light level in an area of darkness. Magical light sources only increase the light level in an area if they are of a higher spell level than darkness.

If darkness is cast on a small object that is then placed inside or under a lightproof covering, the spell's effect is blocked until the covering is removed.

This spell does not stack with itself. Darkness can be used to counter or dispel any light spell of equal or lower spell level.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It's a 3rd level spell, higher than Darkness, so I'm tempted to say yes. On the other hand, Major Image says nothing about creating a light source.

Major Image said:
This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you... sound, smell, and thermal illusions are included
It would be a useless spell if it couldn't create light from an illusory torch, for example. I would rule that Major Image can include a light source.

Remove ads