• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Darksun times of change[Oc]closed]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Taking up more space allows you to threaten more enemies -- and a 10x10 Protection Sentinel Paladin could be sweetly tanky.
DMG 278 discusses weapons for Large creatures, and it could get nasty.

Yeah, that's true, but that would only happen in that particular combination of size, class, and fighting style, and the DM doesn't need to provide large-size weapons.

I guess you're right, though. There are a few more expectations than I considered that go with being large that a player could reasonably exploit.

There are a bunch of drawbacks, too, though. Like the giant not fitting places, (or having to cross a rope-bridge!)

FitzTheRuke

Legend

I like that race write-up better than the one we've used. I guess I'm okay with not having a poisonous bite (the most powerful thing) or chameleon chiton (not something I really imagine them with) but some of that other stuff makes sense to me.

The main takaway I get from all that stuff is, they're pretty close to how I would play them, even though I didn't remember any of that! (I played a brief 4e DS game, and I played it back when it first came out. Never played a Kreen. Never read any of the books. Can't say I remember much about the setting aside from the broadstrokes.)

Azurewraith

Explorer
I like that race write-up better than the one we've used. I guess I'm okay with not having a poisonous bite (the most powerful thing) or chameleon chiton (not something I really imagine them with) but some of that other stuff makes sense to me.

The main takaway I get from all that stuff is, they're pretty close to how I would play them, even though I didn't remember any of that! (I played a brief 4e DS game, and I played it back when it first came out. Never played a Kreen. Never read any of the books. Can't say I remember much about the setting aside from the broadstrokes.)
That's the thing the Kreen had so much stuff they could of had I just had to cut it down.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's the thing the Kreen had so much stuff they could of had I just had to cut it down.

I understand. You may have cut a little hard. My first impression was that they wereca little weak. Things like natural weapons and armour are only usually good if you take our gear away, otherwise they don't really come into play. The only thing I think your version is really missing (that I miss) is anything to do with movement or jumping. I can live with a 30' speed, but a double-jump distance might be evocative and unlikely OP. I can't (while typing) remember if you gave me darkvision or not.

But this whole thread has made me seem greedy! So I'm inclined not to ask for more.

Azurewraith

Explorer
No one has Darkvision IV removed it. I thought I did give them a jump maybe it got lost between passes.

Edit when your weapon breaks you will want those claws!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No one has Darkvision IV removed it. I thought I did give them a jump maybe it got lost between passes.

Edit when your weapon breaks you will want those claws!

Yes, that is true. (Though I hope it won't happen so often I will run out of weapons!)

Removed DV, did you? So lighting will be a thing?

Aramalian

Explorer
I don't understand why people feel that way about DV, though. PHB 183 is pretty clear about the rarity of dim light that can be turned into bright light conditions by DV. Usually the best you're going to get out of DV is dark-to-dim which is still Disadvantage. Do most people not rule Disadvantage on attack rolls in dim light?

Sent via EN World mobile app

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads