• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Darksun times of change[Oc]closed]

Aramalian

Explorer
Well, more precisely...
Require WIS (Per) with Disadvantage to see targets in dim light, and Disadvantage on the attack if they fail the check.

Sent via EN World mobile app

Azurewraith

Explorer
I don't understand why people feel that way about DV, though. PHB 183 is pretty clear about the rarity of dim light that can be turned into bright light conditions by DV. Usually the best you're going to get out of DV is dark-to-dim which is still Disadvantage. Do most people not rule Disadvantage on attack rolls in dim light?

It usually gets forgotten about.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There is no disadvantage on attack rolls in dim light. But there is disadvantage on perception. -5 to passive. Have fun blundering into traps!

I go one further and say that you can't read with DV.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Aramalian

Explorer
There is no disadvantage on attack rolls in dim light. But there is disadvantage on perception. -5 to passive. Have fun blundering into traps!

I go one further and say that you can't read with DV.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app
In dim light conditions, I understand the rules to require a WIS(Per) check to see specific things.

If you fail the check to see the target, then you can't see the target and thus you have Disadvantage on the attack. That's how I read it, anyway.

texastoast

Explorer
Before this finishes getting derailed into a thread about darkvision... ;)

I posted links in the RG to my character sheet and background on Google Drive. I expanded my background, building on the great stuff [MENTION=6805410]Fradak[/MENTION] did. Specifically I expanded on my character's relationship to the idea that Kalak (my warlock/templar patron) isn't dead but is instead in some kind of stasis. As far as I'm concerned, that's what my character believes to be true based on the fact that he still has access to his powers. BUT, [MENTION=6798581]Azurewraith[/MENTION], I don't think you have to feel locked into that as being actually true, if you don't want. And you don't have to tell me either way. I can imagine other ways whereby my character still has magic. But he can't, because he's a true believer, and as soon as it occurred to him that Kalak might be alive, he latched onto that notion. Regardless, that belief is the foundation of Tarsin's goals and life purpose.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
In dim light conditions, I understand the rules to require a WIS(Per) check to see specific things.

If you fail the check to see the target, then you can't see the target and thus you have Disadvantage on the attack. That's how I read it, anyway.

"Specific things" does not include someone you are fighting. It's to spot things that might not be obvious. Anything moving would not be included.

But, whatever the DM wants to do, I'm not picky.

Aramalian

Explorer
"Specific things" does not include someone you are fighting. It's to spot things that might not be obvious. Anything moving would not be included.

But, whatever the DM wants to do, I'm not picky.
I *might* lower the DC of the check in melee, but the definition of dim light conditions in the PHB is pretty specific, so I'm definitely not waiving it for ranged attacks.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I *might* lower the DC of the check in melee, but the definition of dim light conditions in the PHB is pretty specific, so I'm definitely not waiving it for ranged attacks.

I really don't want to get into an argument (at all, and certainly not here) but I'm honestly curious:

I just went back and read your PHB 183 and I'm just not seeing any of what you're talking about. I'm really curious as to where you're getting any of it. Dim light causes light obscurement, light obscurement gives you disadvantage on perception checks that rely on sight (and only that). Darkvision turns Darkness into dim light, and dim light into bright light within it's radius. That's all it says. I'm not sure where you get disadvantage on attacks in dim light, or having to make perception checks against enemies or you treat them like they are in darkness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads