• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darkvision and Spyglass

GodOfCheese

First Post
My players are in a remote area and some of them have Darkvision. It occurred to me that there might be some obvious benefits of using Darkvision with a Spyglass or similar item. I'm looking for game balance reasons why I should or should not allow this use. Has anyone come across this and had to rule on it?

Please, no appeals to physics :). What I'm looking for are impacts on gameplay and potential abuses first and foremost, and staying true to the genre second.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
If you allow optical magnification to affect darkvision, expect to be seeing it a lot. Darkvision is an extraordinarily handy ability. Note that a magic item to grant the ability takes up a slot and costs 12,000 gp. Note that there are class abilities that only bump darkvision by 30 feet at a time. Note how rare darkvision beyond 60 feet is.

I wouldn't recommend allowing this.

(And I just can't help it: Optical lens magnification is based upon light. Darkvision is not. It just somehow exists. There's no light-based vision to boost via magnification.)

FEADIN

Explorer
SRD:
Spyglass

Objects viewed through a spyglass are magnified to twice their size.

With Darkvision objects beyond 60' can't be seen (viewed), the spyglass don't help unless they are in the 60' range.

It doesn't says: "You can see twice as far".

Berod Oyeghirn

First Post
What about a mirror ?

If a mirror lies within the range of your darkvision, can you see on it the reflection of things further away ? What about the reflection of things which fall out of your darkvision range when you add (distance from said thing to the mirror)+(distance from the mirror to your eyes) ?

Maldor

First Post
SRD:
Spyglass

Objects viewed through a spyglass are magnified to twice their size.

With Darkvision objects beyond 60' can't be seen (viewed), the spyglass don't help unless they are in the 60' range.

It doesn't says: "You can see twice as far".

are you sure thats the spyglass it sounds more like the magnifing lens description.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads