OD&D Dave Arneson's Origins 1977 Tournament

Jon Peterson has shared some images of Dave Arneson's Origins 1977 D&D tournament, in the form of twelve pre-generated characters (which include a werewolf!), the tournament's event description, and report from a couple of the players.

12g-chars-cl.jpg

Note the AC values written as Roman numerals! This adventure never made it into publication, unlike many other tournament modules of the period.

Check out the article for more!

(which include a werewolf!)

Sounds like early D&D! A lot of accounts from back in the early days seem to involve people playing stuff that would have been considered totally not okay in later editions, though I feel like people have chilled out a bit on it now.

Also good grief character #12, "Oh +10 to hit, x3 damage, no biggie...".

I have to wonder what Vicar, Lord and Patriarch classes were like too (especially how Vicar and Patriarch differed - presumably more than "one has a big bushy beard").

Also those are some really honestly-rolled-looking HP - 6th level Hobbit Thief with 9 HP owwwwwwwww.

The accounts are fascinating, albeit very "of their time". Really interesting comment re: the magic system though - they're basically already running it like a Sorcerer from now! He says this a combination of the Gygaxian and Mahler systems. I wonder what the Mahler system was? Lost to history probably :(

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have to wonder what Vicar, Lord and Patriarch classes were like too (especially how Vicar and Patriarch differed - presumably more than "one has a big bushy beard").
Those aren't classes, they're level titles. A 'Lord' is a Fighter of 9th or higher level. A Vicar is just a 4th level Cleric; a Patriarch is a Cleric of 9th or higher level.

In 0e and 1e every class level had a title, up till (for most classes) 9th when you got your final title (Lord/Lady for Fighters, Pat/Matriarch for Clerics, etc.) - this is where the term "name level" originates.

Also those are some really honestly-rolled-looking HP - 6th level Hobbit Thief with 9 HP owwwwwwwww.
Given as the Hobbit has Con 17, either they didn't give out Con bonuses for hit points or (more likely IMO) it's a typo.

Those aren't classes, they're level titles. A 'Lord' is a Fighter of 9th or higher level. A Vicar is just a 4th level Cleric; a Patriarch is a Cleric of 9th or higher level.

In 0e and 1e every class level had a title, up till (for most classes) 9th when you got your final title (Lord/Lady for Fighters, Pat/Matriarch for Clerics, etc.) - this is where the term "name level" originates.

Makes sense, it's been a while, I did used to know that, long, long ago.

Given as the Hobbit has Con 17, either they didn't give out Con bonuses for hit points or (more likely IMO) it's a typo.

I kinda suspect they didn't do CON bonuses because one of the accounts says a group kept the halfling in the middle to prevent him from getting hurt.

Also interesting that the Elf is "Elven Magic User", not Elf like in BECMI.

I also didn't notice the 1970s twin-magic and the disclaimer to prevent anyone taking anyone else's magic items the first time around.

aco175

Legend
Wow, I only remember parts of this. PCs with only 15 in the primary stat and +3 weapons at mid level was fun times. Dying at 0HP not so much.

NotAYakk

Legend
Back then, your class and level determined how competent you where with a sword, not your strength.

Stronger characters getting +to hit then started slow, got biggest in 3e/4e, and got partly back under control in 5e.

As d20 modifiers are deceptively powerful, this lead to cookie cutter PC stats.

Oreot

Explorer
He says this a combination of the Gygaxian and Mahler systems. I wonder what the Mahler system was? Lost to history probably :(
This article explains it a bit.

"a point-based magic system, which is described herein. It actually made it a bit tougher to be a magic user, as spells typically took a full round to cast and then went off the next round, with rules for being damaged while casting and losing the spell in progress, based on the ratio of damage taken to your current hit points (meaning, you needed to recalculate each time you were hit, as the threshold would change), and the number of spell points you got back each day (after 12 hours of sleep — none of this wimpy eight hours crap!) was based on your intelligence and how much you’d used… so you if you shot your wad completely, you wouldn’t be fully recharged by the next day. A very ahead of its time system, frankly. "

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases