Dazzed until grabbed?

Gruns

Explorer
If Daze affected how much you got, it would say 'You get _______'. It doesn't. It says 'You can only take _____.'

Your argument seems to be based on the wording of that sentence rather than the semantics of being dazed. It is clear that being Dazed means you only get one action. But because they had to word it the way they did to account for Free Actions, most likely, you now see it as a filter.

If it was worded 'You may only take Minor Actions on your turn' would that be a restriction on how you spent actions?

I don't see the point of this question, but no. It is a restriction on what kind of actions you can take. It doesn't restrict in any way how you use your Minor actions.

And -do- consider the second part of it, which uses the same verb to say you can't use immediate actions. If dazed is lifted, -by your logic- you don't get to use those either (as those are recharged at the beginning of your turn.)

Again, you're making stuff up. No one said anything about Immediate Actions being recharged at the beginning of the turn. (Especially since you don't get to take Immediate Actions on your turn.) The line "You can't take immediate actions or opportunity actions" works the same exact way the line "You can't flank an enemy" works.

In other words, ending dazed under your logic does -not- in fact lift dazed.

Again, only due to the way YOU interpret Dazed. By my logic, it works fine.

If I were slowed, and it were lifted by an action in the middle of my move (a readied action, let's say) then I -would- get the full benefit of my speed. So if you treat it like slowed, then you -must- treat dazed the same way and give them the full benefit of their actions.

I of course, don't agree with this, either. If you're Slowed and want to move, you can move up to 2 squares. Not that this scenario would ever come up, but if you somehow lost the Slowed condition mid-move, it's too late. The ghoul juice or freezing cold has already affected your legs when you tried to use them. If you are un-Slowed BEFORE you start moving, you're good, since you now magically or divinely have full use of your motor abilities. I do understand you thinking otherwise though(no I don't), as I guess it seems to add to your argument.

This is an irrelevent argument. Ongoing damage doesn't take place nor affect the middle of your turn, so it isn't a parallel case. If you had an effect that removed ongoing damage at the beginning of your turn, perhaps you might have a point.

I knew you would say this was irrelevant. Yet, it is exactly the way I see Dazed working, which makes it completely relevant to my argument. As I've said, if you are Dazed (at the beginning of your turn in the case of the Cube), that is when you lose your two actions. The same time that you take Ongoing damage. When you lose the Dazed condition or the Ongoing Fire 10 condition, any damage(literal in the case of fire, figurative in the case of lost actions) that was done is done. Just because you don't see Dazed as making you actually lose actions doesn't make this point irrelevant. And for what it's worth, Ongoing damage surely affects the middle of the guy's turn that was just reduced to 0 hit points...

Later!
Gruns

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Why is dazed the only "beginning of your turn" effect that doesn't mention the begining of your turn?

Why is dazed the only effect that is both a "beginning of your turn" effect and a "happens the instant you get hit" effect, especially in light of it never mentioning anything about the beginning of your turn.

DracoSuave

First Post
Your argument seems to be based on the wording of that sentence rather than the semantics of being dazed. It is clear that being Dazed means you only get one action. But because they had to word it the way they did to account for Free Actions, most likely, you now see it as a filter.

And it is also clear that not being dazed does not imply that you only take one action. Being dazed is not the same as not being dazed. I thought that would be obvious. The semantics of being dazed are a limitation on what actions you -can take- not on what actions -you get-. Therefore, if you lift the limitation, it no longer applies. The semantics of dazed -MEANS THE WORDING.- That's what semantics IS.

I don't see the point of this question, but no. It is a restriction on what kind of actions you can take. It doesn't restrict in any way how you use your Minor actions.

Because it is worded the same way as dazed. If -that- is a restriction, then dazed which uses the -same- wording is also a restriction that works similiarly.

Again, you're making stuff up. No one said anything about Immediate Actions being recharged at the beginning of the turn. (Especially since you don't get to take Immediate Actions on your turn.) The line "You can't take immediate actions or opportunity actions" works the same exact way the line "You can't flank an enemy" works.

You get one immediate action per round. Things like that 'recharge' at the beginning of your turn, if they work through a recharging mechanism. If actions recharge at the beginning of your turn, immediate actions, which ARE an action, would recharge with the -rest- of your actions. Therefore, dazed, BY YOUR INTERPRETATION, would deny them. Opportunity actions don't work that way because they don't recharge per round, but per turn.

This is just your model of how actions work applied here. That's the point of the argument.

Again, only due to the way YOU interpret Dazed. By my logic, it works fine.

The way you interpret it, by your own admission above, ignores the wording of it for some imagined 'semantics' of how the power works, which as you stated above, doesn't involve the wording of it, and as I have proven above, is not consistant through the various effects of the condition. Mine is consistant throughout the entire condition, works -as written- exactly, and doesn't contradict existing rules.

My interpretation then, being the simpler one, by Occum's Razor, is more likely to be correct.

I of course, don't agree with this, either. If you're Slowed and want to move, you can move up to 2 squares. Not that this scenario would ever come up, but if you somehow lost the Slowed condition mid-move, it's too late. The ghoul juice or freezing cold has already affected your legs when you tried to use them. If you are un-Slowed BEFORE you start moving, you're good, since you now magically or divinely have full use of your motor abilities. I do understand you thinking otherwise though(no I don't), as I guess it seems to add to your argument.

Movement, unfortunately, is on a per-square basis, not declared in wholeness at the beginning. If you have your slow removed, your speed is 6. The walk action says 'move a number of squares up to your speed.' Once your speed becomes 6, you have not yet moved a number of squares up to your speed. This, of course, is if you had it removed on the first square. On the second square, you'd have moved a number of squares up to your speed, so the action is completed before the immediate reaction of the readied action can take place.

I knew you would say this was irrelevant. Yet, it is exactly the way I see Dazed working, which makes it completely relevant to my argument. As I've said, if you are Dazed (at the beginning of your turn in the case of the Cube), that is when you lose your two actions.

And that is under dispute. Dazed does not mention 'at the beginning of your turn' or in any other way indicate the beginning of your turn, so triggered effects are not the same thing as it. If it said 'at the beginning of your turn', you'd have a point. It is -not- analogous, and the argument you craft from it is circular.

'Dazed works at the beginning of your turn, therefore it is like ongoing damage. Because it is like ongoing damage, it works at the beginning of your turn.'

That's why it is irrelevent, because to make it relevant, it must involve assumptions not in evidence, and assumes the truth value of a premise that has yet to be proven to be true.

The same time that you take Ongoing damage. When you lose the Dazed condition or the Ongoing Fire 10 condition, any damage(literal in the case of fire, figurative in the case of lost actions) that was done is done. Just because you don't see Dazed as making you actually lose actions doesn't make this point irrelevant. And for what it's worth, Ongoing damage surely affects the middle of the guy's turn that was just reduced to 0 hit points...

But that is -only- if you accept the -assumption- that dazed is the permanent loss of some resource, rather than, as it is -stated in the damn book-, a restriction on how you may spend that resource. I would agree with you, if the wording on dazed were something else entirely. But it is not, and it does not work the way you describe on the entirety of actions that it restricts.

If you get dazed during your turn, you do not get to take more actions than you've already taken right? That means that dazed is not something that applies at the beginning of your turn, but is rather a continuous effect that restricts your options, rather than one that 'damages' your resources.

If it worked like ongoing damage, then if you got an effect that gave you ongoing damage 10, you'd take that damage immediately, by the same logic that gives you your conclusion for dazed. This does not happen, therefore your argument has an inherent flaw somewhere in it.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too, unless the condition states otherwise. (It does not.)

Last edited:

Gruns

Explorer
Huh?

Why is dazed the only "beginning of your turn" effect that doesn't mention the begining of your turn?

Why is dazed the only effect that is both a "beginning of your turn" effect and a "happens the instant you get hit" effect, especially in light of it never mentioning anything about the beginning of your turn.

Where did this come from and what does this have to do with, well, anything?

Just quickly glancing over the Conditions list, I'd say Dying, Helpless, Petrified, Stunned and Unconscious also qualify.

But again, I don't see your point...

I gave up on trying to convince you to see it the way I see it a long time ago. Now I'm going to give up on trying to make you see why I interpret the rule the way I do as well. Like I said, feel free to rule however you like, and my group will happily accept my ruling and their one action whenever their Dazed at any time. I enjoyed this debate, but don't think there's anything more I need to say that would add to it. It's been fun!
Later!
Gruns

DracoSuave

First Post
All of those deny actions. There's no way you can take an action with those to remove the status, so there's no way they can apply here. However, if somehow these condition s were removed at the beginning of your turn, then yes, you wouldn't have the restrictions on your actions, and you'd act as normal.

An example of this is if some effect other than regeneration healed you at the beginning of your turn. You'd no longer be dying, which would remove the unconscious condition, which would permit you to take actions on your turn. Consecrated Ground is a perfect example of this.

James McMurray

First Post
Where did this come from and what does this have to do with, well, anything?

Do you not see that your entire argument requires the unfounded assumption that Daze is a "start of your turn" effect? That's where it came from, and it has to do with everything. If you can't show why Dazed is a start of your turn effect beyond "well, I gues it is, because I like the idea" then your entire argument, from the perspective of the rules, falls apart.

Whether its a good house rule / interpretation is something entirely different, and something I've tried to avoid touching on because there's no point in debating opinion.

GoLu

First Post
Actually the claim was made that you are allotted three actions "on your turn", not at the beginning. (PHB268-269) Regardless, the real point was that if at any time Dazed enters the picture, two of those actions are gone. I'd bet that Dazed originally said "You get only 1 Action on your turn" but Free Actions screwed with this, so they used the wording that is used now.
Many claims were made, including the one I mentioned. Although, to be fair, it's was mostly Journeymanmage and not you.

As for the original wording of Dazed... Huh? Do you have any reason to think that, other than that it supports your argument?

But... Daze DOES limit how many actions you have and does NOT limit how you can spend an action... If Dazed said "You can only spend Standard Actions to make Melee Basic Attacks" then that would be limiting how you can spend your actions...
Maybe I wasn't clear. The distinction I was trying to make was this: Daze could be interpreted such that you only get one action, and removing daze doesn't give you your actions back. It could also be interpreted such that it prevents you from taking a second action if you have already taken an action this turn, and so removing daze would lift the restriction on your actions. The second interpretation requires fewer special case rules or follow-up questions and can be applied to other conditions without anything weird happening, so I find it to be natural and convenient.

Sure, you could port over the 'slowed while moving' rules and it would make sense to do so, but that makes me wonder why you would have to. Wouldn't they have just included similar rules with the dazed condition if that's what they wanted?

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Ending a status grants you the actions you should have gotten on your next turn. If you are Dazed, you get 1 action. If you escape the Dazed effect at the end of a round with a Saving Throw, you can then act normally on your next turn UNLESS you burn an Action Point to get an additional action.

It's pretty simple and straightforward.

James McMurray

First Post
Ending a status grants you the actions you should have gotten on your next turn. If you are Dazed, you get 1 action. If you escape the Dazed effect at the end of a round with a Saving Throw, you can then act normally on your next turn UNLESS you burn an Action Point to get an additional action.

Prove it.

DracoSuave

First Post

Actually, once you've gotten to the saving throw part of your turn, the window of opportunity to take actions has passed, and you don't get to go back to the Take Actions apart of your turn when you can spend Action Points. At that point, your turn has ended, and it's someone elses turn.

Of course this has nothing to do with what we're talking about, which is if you use your one action to remove the dazed condition, then you get the rest of your actions (or not).

Remove ads