DC Comics lays off many

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
That’s a shame.

I have to say that I’ve been catching up on a lot of DC stuff since the launch of HBO Max, and there is some good stuff there.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The specifics are all rumours, but yeah, looks like Warner's has let many, many people go from all of their companies. I've got a few friends at DC (I mean business-friends, not personal pals) so I hope they're okay. The company has been hell since Didio left - I assume he saw which way the wind was gonna blow.
The place has been on fire for a while. They made some great-selling titles and events, but also produced a lot of poor-selling chaff and have had editorial problems -like Doomsday Clock having severe delays, or that continuity doesn't make any sense anymore and everything is a mess.

Even now, it seems like Jim Lee is more of a figurehead and the bean counters in AT&T are the ones calling all shots.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I wonder about their back catalog - they have one of the deepest and most "erudite" back catalogs of graphic novels. The entire Vertigo line specifically.
I don't think it will go anywhere. Reprinting stuff is extremely cheap, and they have a healthy digital back catalog that has essentially zero overhead. (Take a look at comixology, you can find a lot of silver and bronze age comics there)

New comics are the ones at risk here. It seems we are witnessing a new DC Implosion. Hopefully they won't stop new comics altogether, but at the very least we are going to see a lot of cancellations.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
To think not that long ago, when DC launched "The New 52", they reduced the number of titles down to their top 52 sellers.

It is like deja vu all over again, only this time the executioner's going to be doing alot more axing this time around.
Yeah, more like the new 12 (of which 7 will be Batman related titles)

I mean AT&T wants to make money with the media streaming service.

But I can't understand very well the reason to do this:

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean AT&T wants to make money with the media streaming service.

But I can't understand very well the reason to do this:

Simple. Cash.

Sony can make money with the manganime industry, it's a multinational company with Japanese roots, but why AT&T sells it if this could be a source of money in a age where manga is replacing superheroes comics?

Zardnaar

Legend
Sony can make money with the manganime industry, it's a multinational company with Japanese roots, but why AT&T sells it if this could be a source of money in a age where manga is replacing superheroes comics?

Notice the pandemic? Assets are one thing cash on hand is something else.

Companies were paying a premium to own stuff because they weren't having to generate income as such.

They were debt binging and using the share market. 1.5 billions a lot of moolah right now.

Remove ads