• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DCC 35!! Goodmans new campaign setting!(9/23 Update)

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I like the DCC modules, but in general I'm not in the market for a new campaign setting. HOWEVER - does this have any further information on the ancient sphinx empire described in 'Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen?' If so, I may have to get it, because that empire is one of my favorite bits of background in a very long time. So refreshing to see a non-humanoid intelligence OTHER than dragons get highlighted. :)

Treebore

First Post
They have that and some snake people that look a lot like yuan-ti with their own empire as well. I like the fact that this world isn't human dominated. Humans are a major force, but there are definitely other not so human races to contend with. That is only in this part of the world.

This "setting" definitely lends itself to a campaign where human dominance is by no means assured.

Last edited:

Akrasia

Procrastinator
MoogleEmpMog said:
I like the DCC modules, but in general I'm not in the market for a new campaign setting. HOWEVER - does this have any further information on the ancient sphinx empire described in 'Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen?' If so, I may have to get it, because that empire is one of my favorite bits of background in a very long time. So refreshing to see a non-humanoid intelligence OTHER than dragons get highlighted. :)

The pdf sampler available at the Goodman Games website covers the 'ancient history' of the Known Realms, including the Sphinx Empire.

Go here: http://www.goodman-games.com/index.php

Treebore said:
... This "setting" definitely lends itself to a campaign where human dominance is by no means assured.

Huh? :confused: The 'history overview' sampler pdf seems to make it clear that the current era is the 'era of humanity'. Indeed, the final sentence states: "The era of humans had begun."

I don't own the box set yet, but based on the sampler and the information in all the DCCs that I have, the setting appears to be one in which 'human dominance' pretty much matches that assumed by 'default' D&D. What other race is more 'dominant' than humans?

As a setting that claims to be a 'classic fantasy' one, I hope humans are 'dominant'.

(EDIT: Sorry if the above comment was a bit snarky, Treebore. I'd be interested to know whether my impression of the Known Realms is incorrect.)

Last edited:

Lucias

First Post
The last era, that of the Sphinx's and Snakemen ended a while back and humans are by far and away the dominant culture, especially in the Northlands.

In the Southlands, the humanoid descendents of the snakes are trying to retake their old empire, leading to conflict with the many human states over there.

No need to be worried about humans, they are definitely dominant.

Treebore

First Post
Akrasia said:
The pdf sampler available at the Goodman Games website covers the 'ancient history' of the Known Realms, including the Sphinx Empire.

Go here: http://www.goodman-games.com/index.php

Huh? :confused: The 'history overview' sampler pdf seems to make it clear that the current era is the 'era of humanity'. Indeed, the final sentence states: "The era of humans had begun."

I don't own the box set yet, but based on the sampler and the information in all the DCCs that I have, the setting appears to be one in which 'human dominance' pretty much matches that assumed by 'default' D&D. What other race is more 'dominant' than humans?

As a setting that claims to be a 'classic fantasy' one, I hope humans are 'dominant'.

(EDIT: Sorry if the above comment was a bit snarky, Treebore. I'd be interested to know whether my impression of the Known Realms is incorrect.)

It may be the time of the humans, and they may be dominant right now. But in this setting will it stay that way?

Besides, how many settings have large empires of something other than humans? Greyhawk and FR don't. Even the Wilderlands itself is human dominated. The demon lands and such are "off map".

So I like that this setting has such a huge door for a DM to open for humanity to maintain its dominance against such powerful non-human races. I've long had the opinion that if FR and Greyhawk (as examples) really evolved "naturally" humans would never have become dominant. Humanity is dominant by default, in my opinion/estimation, not due to any true superiority.

So that is what I mean by not be a human dominant setting.

MORE NEWS POSTED IN THE OP!!!

I was originally very interested in buying this. However I just read the contents for the boxed set and it seems a little pricey for what you get. For $70 you get a 120 page book on the world, a 136 page GM's Guide sourcebook, 2 32 page adventures and 4 poster maps.

For those that already have a copy, am I missing anything? If not then it seems a little on the light side to me. For those that have bought it, is it worth it?

Olaf the Stout

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads