DCC Level 0 Character Funnel is a Bad Concept

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think we've established that you aren't a fan of random OSR-style character generation, and your experience was further muddied my some questionable GMing, which is unfortunate. Nothing wrong with the former though, we all have our own preferences. There is, however, a huge difference between something I didn't/don't enjoy and a bad concept.

Arilyn

Hero
The DCC funnel is no more than one session. It's not supposed to dominate the game. It's a lot of fun seeing who will survive, and it's rarely what you assume. DCC is a game full of randomness, but after the funnel, clever play can help. But it certainly not a forgiving game. I'm having fun with my elf who has abysmal stats, and is somehow surviving. (My elves never survive the funnel so I'm pleased with my first one. 😌)

On the other hand, I also really enjoy spending time crafting characters I want. I have characters made that'll never get used but I had fun creating them. I have played and GMed games where death is pretty much off the table, and those have been very satisfying. I don't think it's fair to paint players who actually want their characters to survive as entitled, or wanting to be "the star." There's a myriad of ways to play rpgs and I don't believe DCC should be used to teach players to embrace random character creation and death.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah, I agree that the funnel of DCC is overstated. It really is an Appendix N type of game. I really wish the convo about DCC was more like "Step 1: Roll your unfortunate villagers. Step 2: play through this funnel to show how they became un-villager. Step 3: Play DCC."
It reminds me a lot of the discussion around MHR and character creation. People complained loud and often that MHR doesn't have character creation rules. But they're objectively wrong. It does, in fact, have character creation rules...some players simply bounced off those character creation rules. Doesn't stop them from banging on and on and on and on and on about it. The 0-level funnel shows you the extreme edge of DCC. That's the worst it will ever be. From there on you're playing a tough badass...but you still have to deal with the whims of fate (the dice).

If someone doesn't like randomness, they shouldn't play a game with randomness. If they don't like character death, they shouldn't play a game with character death. It's not for everyone. It's not meant to be. People should just accept that and let those who do enjoy it have fun without some feeling the need to bang on and on and on about how it sucks. Things you don't like exist. They get to exist. And other people get to like them. (I know I'm quoting you, but this last bit isn't directed at you. Just venting general frustration.)
The DCC funnel is no more than one session. It's not supposed to dominate the game. It's a lot of fun seeing who will survive, and it's rarely what you assume. DCC is a game full of randomness, but after the funnel, clever play can help. But it certainly not a forgiving game. I'm having fun with my elf who has abysmal stats, and is somehow surviving. (My elves never survive the funnel so I'm pleased with my first one. 😌)
It really does seem like the ultimate in "play to see what happens" style of game. You can stack the odds as much as you like, but it's still down to the dice.
On the other hand, I also really enjoy spending time crafting characters I want. I have characters made that'll never get used but I had fun creating them.
I think character creation is all but its own separate hobby at this point. Connected, but not necessarily. Like collecting and painting minis. Collecting and building terrain. Etc. It's a cool thing to do sometimes. But there's not necessarily any connection between that and the games as actually played. Like 5E. Just because you built some power gaming monstrosity doesn't mean the DM will let it into their game.
I have played and GMed games where death is pretty much off the table, and those have been very satisfying.
I can't imagine how that would be satisfying. If you're making a character in a fantasy adventure game where the characters do dangerous things...death is always a possibility. If there's no risks, there's no rewards. It immediately devolves into "I'm so awesome". Pass.
I don't think it's fair to paint players who actually want their characters to survive as entitled, or wanting to be "the star."
I think it's absolutely fair. I watch it happen constantly at the table on an almost weekly basis. Some player has sunk hours into crafting some Mary Sue character and an absurdly overly complicated backstory and wants the DM to spin a yarn around their Mary Sue...repeatedly telling the PC how awesome they are and never suffer so much as a hang nail. That's not my jam.
There's a myriad of ways to play rpgs and I don't believe DCC should be used to teach players to embrace random character creation and death.
No. Not teach. But you definitely learn who is who from running one. You see rather quickly if a player is okay with risk and death and who's not. Helps you form the next group so you can run a proper DCC game without complaints.

Just to stress what others have already said: if you don't feel completely burnt on DCC, maybe you want to give playing with a level 1 or 2 character a chance. While I also had fun with funnel adventures, I personally enjoyed the experience with higher level characters much more (I haven't played anything higher than level 2 yet, but I suspect, mirroring my D&D preferences, level 1 to 4 - corresponding to D&D levels 2 to 8 - will be my favourites).

aramis erak

Legend
Man, I thought the days of purely random PCs were behind us. Why would anyone join an adventuring group like that? 'Well, we can't fight, think, or run, so let's load up and go kick the liche lord's a$$'*.

* = Sounds sort of like a reality TV show when I re-read that line. :D
Ever hear of the OSR? Old School Renaissance. A group of (mostly) people not born before TSR's time of troubles, often waxing nostalgic for a particular playstyle which I didn't encounter until the 1990's, despite playing AD&D before Moldvay Basic was released.

There are some older folk in the scene as well, but most of the OSR is looking to do Moldveyesque D&D as a rules light narrative first experience where "sometimes we even roll the dice"....
DCC is aimed squarely at the OSR's bulk, but with enough extra oddities that it's distinctly different without being different in tone. Hence all the odd (literally) sided dice (d3, d5, d7) and the unusal "missing steps" (d14, d16, d24).

My solution when players ask for a non-random method for D&D and other random 3d6 games: I set 3 to each face. Let them arrange to taste, 3 into each att.

Arilyn

Hero
No. Not teach. But you definitely learn who is who from running one. You see rather quickly if a player is okay with risk and death and who's not. Helps you form the next group so you can run a proper DCC game without complaints.
Yes, in DCC the randomness and character death is baked in and not accepting that flies in the face of the game's phosophy.

But you can have plenty of tension in other games without the constant threat of death. This argument comes up repeatedly, and I don't want to dive back in. I just want to point out players have a variety of preferences. I have a variety of preferences and it's unfair to paint the differences in broad brush strokes, which happens too often from all sides.

aramis erak

Legend
Not quite. It’s so that you’re not penalized for running away. You don’t have to fight to the death and win to earn experience. You’ll get more XP the more challenging the encounter, so a skin of your teeth victory nets you more than “technically” engaging then running away as a means of gaming the XP system.
Technically, you don't have to kill to get XP in BX/BECMI/Cyclopedia nor AD&D1 - you just have to "defeat" the opponent - by morale or evasion.
Moldvay, Page B22: "Experience points are also given for monsters killed or overcome by magic, fighting, or wits."
Overcome can logically include avoiding if the purpose of the encounter was to prevent access to a place... or to turn the PCs into food. Or into slaves. etc.
I think you were oversold on the funnel concept. It's not the crown jewel of DCC (I didnt even know about it until after playing a campaign) its just an element that is tons of fun.
"Can be," not "is." I didn't enjoy it when I tried it in the 80's... and it was a concept, tho' not called a funnel, that some had. It's not inherently fun. For some, it's inherently overload. For others, it reduces the thing they find most important - identification with the PC. For me, it was a hassle of numbers... I'd rather start higher level than start with multiple PCs, but BITD, it wasn't uncommon for us to take in 2 PCs each...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
But you can have plenty of tension in other games without the constant threat of death.
Only if the players are invested in the world and the NPCs. Which is nowhere near as common as often claimed.
This argument comes up repeatedly, and I don't want to dive back in. I just want to point out players have a variety of preferences. I have a variety of preferences and it's unfair to paint the differences in broad brush strokes, which happens too often from all sides.
Different players have different preferences. And individuals can have different preferences. Absolutely. But it’s either a broad brush, no brush, or we spend an infinite amount of time painting all the details with toothpicks.
Technically, you don't have to kill to get XP in BX/BECMI/Cyclopedia nor AD&D1 - you just have to "defeat" the opponent - by morale or evasion.
Moldvay, Page B22: "Experience points are also given for monsters killed or overcome by magic, fighting, or wits."
Overcome can logically include avoiding if the purpose of the encounter was to prevent access to a place... or to turn the PCs into food. Or into slaves. etc.
Technically…in B/X you get more XP for treasure found than dealing with monsters. That “also” in your quote.

Remove ads