• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DCC RPG: Help me with a new Patron!

Summer-Knight925

First Post
Slow Burn

When you manifest this aura, you shed light equivalent to a torch, and this radiant power does your Charisma bonus + Caster Level in manage to all evil creatures within 1 + Cha bonus squares radius, and half that damage to a radius of Cha bonus squares beyond that.

This aura lasts for 1 round + Caster level.

Im not sure how familiar you are with DCC spells and such, but I do like the idea of this one.

Perhaps 'control burn' which allows you both slow burn AND a faster burn.

Slow burn decreases the range of the illumination, fast burn extends it.

And this actually works quite well.
It might not do damage, but at a higher spell check result, it adds a bonus to those within the light when fighting creatures of chaos (in DCC, there is Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic, so again, I'm not sure how familiar you are with DCC, but some stuff there just wasn't very DCCish, no offense)

Furthermore, with this spell you could, at higher spell check results, effect more than 1 light source.

Control Burn seems decent, I have you to thank for that idea.

The last one I'm thinking is pretty much Prismatic Spray, but of course with a different name. (Scolding Scintillation perhaps?)

Where the higher the spell check, the farther the range, as well as the more colors that hit the target, possibly even more damage from them.

I just now need to sit down and crank out the stats :cool:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Im not sure how familiar you are with DCC spells and such, but I do like the idea of this one.

No clue whatsoever!

The last one I'm thinking is pretty much Prismatic Spray, but of course with a different name. (Scolding Scintillation perhaps?)

Coruscant Cone?

Summer-Knight925

First Post
Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

Put out by Goodman Games (famous for their Dungeon Crawl Classics module line)

If you want to take a step back from all the numbers and go back into the unknown and all the tables it's worth it.
Not to mention all the artwork.

Plus, at least in what I've found, is actually a pretty easy system to get down, especially the warrior. The warrior is really easy to play.
Thief is fun, although a tad limited (you get skills based on your alignment)
Cleric is, as usual, my favorite, with all the fun spells (of 5 spell levels) and the 'turn unholy' allowing you to turn demons and angels as well as undead.

The Wizard, however, is a complex class, one that requires the player to have either a their own copy of the corebook (something that has always been a trouble with my group sadly) or a pdf of the spells.
But when you can go to cast a spell, fail miserably, and you grow crab claws where your hands were, suddenly cheering "Why not Zoidberg?" as you shoot lightening out your eyes becomes a very large possibility.

Not to mention it has a retro feel not in mechanics, but in flavor, with monster creation that encourages the DM to create new and wild beasts to fill dungeons.
Every battle is like the first time you encountered a beholder, or some other alien monstrosity.

Plus it's fun starting as 0-levels (commoners pretty much) and trying to survive that first dungeon. Because sometimes that potato farmer being torn apart in a trap is a little funny.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Is ther Turning/Channeling Divine power in DCC? If so, a "special effect"/hindrance for someone whose patron is associated with radiance is actually shedding light.

That would be both a sign of the power of the patron being made manifest and something that would make it impossible to conceal under certain circumstances...after all, only EEEEEEVIL likes to hide, right?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads