DDEX1-4 Dues for the Dead GM notes and discussion

Ricochet

Explorer
Originally posted by AlHazred:

Hi,

(Please note if you are a player in expeditions, this thread is not for you)

I was waiting for Tyranthraxus to make more threads for more Expeditions modules, but then it occurred to me I could just do it.

This thread is for discussion of the fourth Expeditions adventure, Dues for the Dead. I see it as a forum topic for us to talk what has gone right and wrong within the adventure, the combat tactics we use, the embelishments we made, the props we use and so on.

If you find links to maps, diagrams etc that you found useful when preparing to run this, please share them.

Please keep in mind this thread isn't for players' tales (unless one of your players broke open the scenario for you). They are purely for DM inspiration and discussion.

The reason they are in here, and not in the Dungeon Masters' area of the forum is that, we really just want discussion here from AL DMs as we have a certain toolkit to work with which other Dungeon Masters do not.

I note that there is already a thread about problems in Dues for the Dead(x). Long story short, a reference to "trap in area 12" from room 14A menas nothing because there are no traps, though there are piles of dirt. Spykes added the following trap to area 12(x):

Trap:
[sblock]Hidden in the rubble of the floor are strings and boards that connect to the piles of dirt. A Perception contest reveals their significance. (+3 Stealth for the trap vs. Passive Perception of characters) If the PCs suspect something is up with the dirt piles, they can make a DC 15 investigation check to actively discover the trap. If the checks fail or if the PCs enter the rubble to get close to the piles, the trap is triggered.
If the PCs do notice the trap then they can identify that the rubble is rigged to trigger disturbing the dirt piles. A DC10 Arcana check reveals that disturbing the piles triggers a Magic Mouth spell cast on the ceiling. A DC13 Acrobatics check is required to negotiate the length of the room without disturbing the piles. If any check is failed, the trap triggers and a booming voice that echoes throughout the chamber the warning of, "Leave now or walk these halls forever!" This reverberation in turn triggers a minor collapse in the stonework and plaster ceiling. Any creature in the room takes 4(1d8) bludgeoning damage. Creature who succeed at a DC11 Dexterity saving throw take no damage. This alerts the zombies in area 14a.

[/sblock]The Thayan knight has "plate" listed in his equipment; this is unavailable to the PCs as treasure as stated in the AL Players' Guide, page 6: "Arms and armor obtained from monsters is worthless unless otherwise specified; if such gear is found during an adventure, it can be used for the duration of the session before it breaks or becomes unusable."

My thoughts are, if anyone has a cleric of Kelemvor at their table as a PC (because they got the special "Cleric of Kelemvor" cert from playing DDEP1-1 Corruption in Kryptgarden) they could probably substitute for Cassyt in the module. This is especially true if they are 2nd level, as that's still an "apprentice level" -- the work they do in the module justifies their advancement to level 3 and full "priest" status.
If you think there's going to be one of these PCs at your table, I'd prepare a bunch of little slips of paper beforehand, with the information they know about the catacombs. You can then hand them out in-game and have the player do some of your exposition for you. You can also encourage them to snitch on the rest of the party, which might or might not be roleplaying gold, depending on the player personalities involved. In any case, characters jingling with coin and jewels when they exit from the catacombs should immediately get the ire of the Order of the Silent Shroud, whether or not the acolyte snitches on them...

Originally posted by SteveMND:

Odd, i would have sworn I posted in this thread the other day. Oh well.

So, I was looking though my mods, and it looks like I'll be likely to be running Dues next weekend. However, judging by the maps, monster list, encounter list, etc., it looks like it'd be a pretty long one (assuming they didn't use the 'short cut' and just go home after that). So, is this intended to be a double-slot scenario, or just a normal 4-hour module? I'm wondering if I'd need to schedule this in advance to run across two sessions or not.

Originally posted by HeresyDM:

We did it in ~4 hours pretty easily; not much investigation/RP in this one like the most of the others, this is pretty much a hack-n-slash dungeon crawl.

Originally posted by Tyranthraxus:

Broken up by the moral quandry of the welcomers in the middle. Do you help them escape or not.. and if you do how do you convince your guide to look the other way.

Ricochet

Explorer
Paragon's note: Some other threads with numerous questions, not from the main thread follow here.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Explorer
Error in Dues for the Dead?

Originally posted by chryx:

Just wondering why Dues for the Dead awards 100 XP for the DM running it, compared to 300 XP for every other adventure I've looekd at. This is also not consistent with the Adventurer's League Player's Guide, which suggests D&D Expeditions and D&D Epics provide 200 XP per tier.

I'm kind of wondering why Encounters, Expeditions, and Epics provide varying DM XP on any basis other than the length of the adventure and the number of encounters run.

Originally posted by Skerrit:

It appears that gremlins got into the DM Rewards and mixed up some numbers! We will post the correct values in our next FAQ update. Sorry for the confusion.

Originally posted by Raddu76:

The correct number is 200xp per tier, the only exception is Defiance in Phlan, where it's 100/1 hour adventure

Originally posted by Undrhil:

Skerrit wrote:It appears that gremlins got into the DM Rewards and mixed up some numbers! We will post the correct values in our next FAQ update. Sorry for the confusion.
Where is the FAQ?

Originally posted by Skerrit:

Undrhil wrote:
Where is the FAQ?
Housed here: http://dndadventurersleague.org/

Ricochet

Explorer
Problem with Dues for the Dead

Originally posted by obsid:

In room 14A it says "If the adventurers sprung any of the traps in Area 12..." but I dont see any traps in Area 12.  Which room did it mean?

Originally posted by Mind_Flayer_Monk:

This is a good question.
I used the room the crown is in, but that was just a guess.

Great mod other than that.

obsid wrote:In room 14A it says "If the adventurers sprung any of the traps in Area 12..." but I dont see any traps in Area 12.  Which room did it mean?

I just put a magic mouth 'trap' on the scenes in area 12 like the ones that were in area 3.

Originally posted by ScarlettZoe:

Can you play a pact of the chain warlock with the Variant Imp Familiar talked about in the Monster Manual?  The players guide says "Most monsters can be found in the Monster Manual" suggesting that the monster manual is a valid rules source.  It does say "D&D Adventurers League play does not use any other optional or variant rules as presented in the Dungeon Master’s Guide" but this isnt the DMG.  And the varient human statistics are allowed.

Originally posted by obsid:

ScarlettZoe wrote:Can you play a pact of the chain warlock with the Variant Imp Familiar talked about in the Monster Manual?  The players guide says "Most monsters can be found in the Monster Manual" suggesting that the monster manual is a valid rules source.  It does say "D&D Adventurers League play does not use any other optional or variant rules as presented in the Dungeon Master’s Guide" but this isnt the DMG.  And the varient human statistics are allowed.

Dont know why you copied my question from the other thread, but as answered there: http://community.wizards.com/forum/dd-adventurers-league/threads/4148991(x) the answer is no.

Has anyone done a better map for this? THere are no gridlines and the white box  which =10 is next to useless.

Originally posted by CarlT:

Regarding the 'traps' in area 12 - it is clear that this area was changed pre-publication and there must have originally been some traps in area 12 (and accompanying instruction that the kobold and zombies would investigate if they were triggered); and the file was incompletely edited after this change was made.  The simplest change is to (as someone noted above) assume magic mouth spells here as in area 3.

I was also concerned with the fact that (according to the stat block) the Knight is wearing Plate Mail, but Plate Mail doesn't show up anywhere in the treasure list.  That is a pretty significant reward and they need to either justify why it isn't available for the PCs (and if it isn't shouldn't the Knight have a lower AC?) or they probably ought to include it on the treasure list (after all - its worth more than the sum of all other loots in there; and a Knight isn't a kobold -his/her gear should be in at least serviceable condition).

Carl

Originally posted by Thank_Dog:

They don't need to justify why it's not in the list at all. It's in the ALPG why you don't get to keep equipment you find during an adventure.

I must admit I did see the Plate Mail but my first reaction is sadly they wont be able to take it.

Originally posted by TheBreen:

The rule they're talking about is from Page 10 of the Adventurers League Players Guide:

"Arms and armor taken from defeated monsters is worthless and cannot be sold unless specified in
           the adventure (the party can use the items during the session in which they are found, though). As
           a general rule of thumb, if an item is part of a monster’s statistics, it’s not sellable."

Originally posted by Spykes:

Tyranthraxus wrote:Has anyone done a better map for this? THere are no gridlines and the white box  which =10 is next to useless.
I thought it was odd that they referenced piles of dirt in the room description. I have a feeling they were supposed to be related to the trap so I made the following trap, also using Magic Mouth like the poster above. This trap is more like a mini skill challenge than anything. My table managed to get past it without triggering though.

Trap:
Hidden in the rubble of the floor are strings and boards that connect to the piles of dirt. A Perception contest reveals their significance. (+3 Stealth for the trap vs. Passive Perception of characters) If the PCs suspect something is up with the dirt piles, they can make a DC 15 investigation check to actively discover the trap. If the checks fail or if the PCs enter the rubble to get close to the piles, the trap is triggered.

If the PCs do notice the trap then they can identify that the rubble is rigged to trigger disturbing the dirt piles. A DC10 Arcana check reveals that disturbing the piles triggers a Magic Mouth spell cast on the ceiling. A DC13 Acrobatics check is required to negotiate the length of the room without disturbing the piles. If any check is failed, the trap triggers and a booming voice that echoes throughout the chamber the warning of, "Leave now or walk these halls forever!" This reverberation in turn triggers a minor collapse in the stonework and plaster ceiling. Any creature in the room takes 4(1d8) bludgeoning damage. Creature who succeed at a DC11 Dexterity saving throw take no damage. This alerts the zombies in area 14a.

Originally posted by Mind_Flayer_Monk:

I love running this mod, its a smash hit.
If Steve Winter is reading this, thank you Steve.

This mod makes me appreciate the Dragon Queen story line even more.

Originally posted by Pauper:

I just assumed that 'area 12' was a typo and the text was supposed to say 'area 10'. The trap in area 10 is pretty noisy, after all. The idea that area 12 has similar magic mouth 'traps' to area 3 is reasonable, though since there's no treasure listed, it's not clear what the magic mouths would be there for.

--
Pauper

Originally posted by tjf:

For those of you that have already run this....    Did any of your parties just go into room#2 and use the block and tackle to descend to area 13 (The Necropolis) to get to Rorreth's lair,  thus negating half of the module?

Originally posted by Dooflegna:

tjf wrote:For those of you that have already run this....    Did any of your parties just go into room#2 and use the block and tackle to descend to area 13 (The Necropolis) to get to Rorreth's lair,  thus negating half of the module?

Yep! The group that I ran through did it this way. They still ended up exploring the rest of the dungeon, at the friendly NPC's encouragement.

Tif:  No .. my group were .. very hesitant. They knew the undead were about and nobody liked the idea of being lowered down into a danger zone 2 at a time.  In fact they locked the gate to the area after investigating so nothing could come... up, after them
smile.gif

Originally posted by akaddk:

tjf wrote:For those of you that have already run this....    Did any of your parties just go into room#2 and use the block and tackle to descend to area 13 (The Necropolis) to get to Rorreth's lair,  thus negating half of the module?
Yeah, I mean... you find a secret door, what are you going to do? Ignore it? Kinda stupid having it right at the start.

Our group will find out in December, when we're scheduled to play this mod.

I'll point out, from glancing over the mod, that if a larger-than-average party goes from area 2 directly to area 13 and doesn't work their way back, they'll miss out on a significant chunk of XP. That alone might be sufficient motivation to get the party to explore the crypt more fully.

--
Pauper

Originally posted by TheDireOne:

I have a question similar to Carl above. I ran this last weekend at a Con. My group was able to defeat the plate mail wearing fighter and all of his friends......I dont want to include any spoilers in case some folks have not had the chance to run this yet. But at the end of the run our DM awarded us one magic item from a caster that he did not have a card for. Do I get to still keep it or does it fall under the same rule as the plate mail? Does the fact that the DM awarded it change this? Its a great item that my rogue would love to have but I am not CN in real life so I follow rules. Thanks.

Dire one: You can still get the magic item in question as long as the table is going by the rules. The cards are just there so people can trade the items. Essentially No Card, No trade.

My local shop has never received the cards, so none of my players will ever be able to trade their items. As long as you record the item on your log sheet correct all you need to do is write the items name in the notes section of the logsheet and its yours!.

At the end of the module all the permanent treasure items, mundane or otherwise, are listed. There is only one permanent item listed and they are the Goggles of Night. If that's the item you have then you're fine. The only difference with having a cert is that the cert allows you to trade the item to another player. Without a cert you're stuck with the item and you're only allowed a certain number of magical items and when determining who gets an item at the end of a session, the tally of current items your character has is taken into account and therefore you may not get an item that you really want.

TheDireOne wrote:My group was able to defeat the plate mail wearing fighter and all of his friends… But at the end of the run our DM awarded us one magic item from a caster that he did not have a card for. Do I get to still keep it or does it fall under the same rule as the plate mail? Does the fact that the DM awarded it change this? Its a great item that my rogue would love to have but I am not CN in real life so I follow rules. 

The NPC (a spellcaster) who hires the party can give them one permanent magic item at the beginning of the adventure. There's an NPC "helper" who is a spellcaster, but she doesn't have any magic items. The "plate mail wearing fighter" is protecting a spellcaster who uses a bonus action on the first round of the fight to escape, even if physically restrained. If your party somehow kills this caster before his bonus action on the first round, you find that he doesn't have any magic items either.

I couldn't find any reference to other spell casters or any other magic (permanent or consumable) items in the adventure. So unless the item you got was from the guy who hired you for this adventure, your DM probably made it up. Since DMs aren't allowed to change the treasure awards for the adventure, that means the item probably doesn't exist past the end of the adventure. But you should ask your DM, just to be sure.

I hope this helps clear things up for you.

akaddk wrote:At the end of the module all the permanent treasure items, mundane or otherwise, are listed. There is only one permanent item listed and they are the Goggles of Night. If that's the item you have then you're fine. The only difference with having a cert is that the cert allows you to trade the item to another player. Without a cert you're stuck with the item and you're only allowed a certain number of magical items and when determining who gets an item at the end of a session, the tally of current items your character has is taken into account and therefore you may not get an item that you really want.

No it is not the Goggles of Night I have. This item was on a foe that was, by the DM's explanation, supposed to get away. We had a very clever party and foiled his escape. Since I was a player I was not able to see what was or was not listed as potential treasure. Thanks for the responses folks.

TheBreen wrote: 
TheDireOne wrote:My group was able to defeat the plate mail wearing fighter and all of his friends… But at the end of the run our DM awarded us one magic item from a caster that he did not have a card for. Do I get to still keep it or does it fall under the same rule as the plate mail? Does the fact that the DM awarded it change this? Its a great item that my rogue would love to have but I am not CN in real life so I follow rules. 

The NPC (a spellcaster) who hires the party can give them one permanent magic item at the beginning of the adventure. There's an NPC "helper" who is a spellcaster, but she doesn't have any magic items. The "plate mail wearing fighter" is protecting a spellcaster who uses a bonus action on the first round of the fight to escape, even if physically restrained. If your party somehow kills this caster before his bonus action on the first round, you find that he doesn't have any magic items either.

I couldn't find any reference to other spell casters or any other magic (permanent or consumable) items in the adventure. So unless the item you got was from the guy who hired you for this adventure, your DM probably made it up. Since DMs aren't allowed to change the treasure awards for the adventure, that means the item probably doesn't exist past the end of the adventure. But you should ask your DM, just to be sure.

Ah ok. Well since this was at a gaming Con I will not be able to check with the DM. I will just erase the item from my logsheet. It was a Heward's Handy Haversack. I did not want to say in case it was a spoiler. But if it was improvised then its not a spoiler....in case you run with this guy in the future....sorry if you do and its spoiled. Thaks a bunch for the help here. I really enjoyed running these Expeditions and look forward to doing more of them at the local gamestore. I just want to be sure I am not mucking it up with bogus equipment. My thief wants to say he came by it honestly.....really. Hehe.

TheDireOne wrote: 
TheBreen wrote: 

Ah ok. Well since this was at a gaming Con I will not be able to check with the DM. I will just erase the item from my logsheet. It was a Heward's Handy Haversack. I did not want to say in case it was a spoiler. But if it was improvised then its not a spoiler....in case you run with this guy in the future....sorry if you do and its spoiled. Thaks a bunch for the help here. I really enjoyed running these Expeditions and look forward to doing more of them at the local gamestore. I just want to be sure I am not mucking it up with bogus equipment. My thief wants to say he came by it honestly.....really. Hehe.

Yeah, Rorreth the necromancer is meant to escape before the party can do anything to stop him (I'd be interested in hearing how you stopped his escape). And as 'TheBreen' wrote he does not have any magic items listed in the module; the DM must have just awarded the magic as a bonus for doing something (killing him) that should have been nearly impossible to do.

TheDireOne wrote:No it is not the Goggles of Night I have. This item was on a foe that was, by the DM's explanation, supposed to get away. We had a very clever party and foiled his escape. Since I was a player I was not able to see what was or was not listed as potential treasure. Thanks for the responses folks.
Then unfortunately it is not Adventurer's League legal
sad.gif

Originally posted by Vobeskhan:

DDEX1-4103.jpg
We're running this tomorrow at Tabletop Tyrants so I decided to redraw the map for easy reference for all three of us DMing it.

Dang, at the very least put that in a spoiler tag!

Sorry thought this was a thread for DMing Dues for the Dead.

Pauper wrote:Dang, at the very least put that in a spoiler tag!
I think it should be assumed that any discussion of a module is going to have spoilers in it. Assuming otherwise is either disengenous or a bit silly.

I don't think it's assumed that if you go into a thread to discuss a module, you'll find the map of the whole dungeon in that thread.

As I said, it should at a minimum be put in a spoiler tag, if it has to be posted at all. There are other ways to distribute material to other DMs, after all.

--
Pauper

Ricochet

Explorer
Dues for the Dead shortcut

I'm about to run Dues for the Dead and having played through it before, I know of the issue with area 2 that leads straight to area 13 which of course is just around the corner from the final encounter. This, to me, spoiled the entire adventure when I played through it. We had very little in-game reason to further explore thus we ended up missing out on half the content.

As a DM, I'm considering sabotaging the shortcut. I know that the majority of people who find it will go down it because... well, because that's what PC's do. I figure if I just make the block and tackle lift broken, that will be enough to discourage the players from going down there and if they insist and use their own ropes, well, then, I won't stop them.

So my question is whether or not I should even discourage going down or not? Again, as a player I felt a bit ripped off and as a DM I'd like the players to experience all the content of the module. But as an Adventurer's League Expeditions scenario, I'm not sure if this is appropriate or overstepping the bounds of my position.

akaddk wrote:I'm about to run Dues for the Dead and having played through it before, I know of the issue with area 2 that leads straight to area 13 which of course is just around the corner from the final encounter. This, to me, spoiled the entire adventure when I played through it. We had very little in-game reason to further explore thus we ended up missing out on half the content.

But…but… that's your answer right there. My adventurers, at least, are among other things explorers. You may never have another chance to explore someplace where very few people—even Kelemvorites!—get to go. Why wouldn't you explore it? [Plus, if you don't clear it all out, "Doomguide Glandon insinuates that [the PC's] assistance would be helpful in clearing out the Necropolis of undead."]

akaddk wrote:So my question is whether or not I should even discourage going down or not? Again, as a player I felt a bit ripped off and as a DM I'd like the players to experience all the content of the module. But as an Adventurer's League Expeditions scenario, I'm not sure if this is appropriate or overstepping the bounds of my position.

I can't speak as to whether you're allowed to make this change, but as both a player and DM I strongly recommend that you don't. Player choice is at the heart of the game. If you remove that choice you're doing the players a disservice. Worse, by modifying the scene in this way you may actually be encouraging the players to use the block and tackle. They'll feel "clever" if they "outwit" the scenario by using their own rope to get to the next level down.

If you want to discourage them, there are other ways that may be better. Have Cassyt say, "I'm not going down that thing." Then they either have to go on without their guide (and worry about her safety while they're gone) or go back for her afterward. If they go down there anyway, when they come back up, have her ask for help checking the rest of the areas to make sure they're safe. Or, have Doomguide Glandon ask the party to go back and clear out any remaining undead.

All of these ways give the party a reason to explore the rest of the catacombs, but still leave the choice in their hands.

As always, this is just my two cents' worth. Just make sure the table has fun playing.

Originally posted by Jeraxle:

Dues for the Dead  was my first session in AL and exploring the caverns was enjoyable by the DM describing the scene and settings plus it led to us getting full xp, so personally I wouldn't create the short cut and would follow The Breens advice.

TheBreen wrote:All of these ways give the party a reason to explore the rest of the catacombs, but still leave the choice in their hands.
Yeah but it's also a major anti-climax. It becomes less about getting to a goal and more about having to fulfil a mission parameter to get full XP. It becomes a chore rather than part of the fun of leading up to the BBEG. Plus it also means taking on the BBEG at full strength rather than having depleted resources, making the final encounter a cake-walk rather than a challenge, which further makes clearing out the rest of the dungeon little more than an exercise in completionism.

Originally posted by ewspy69:

Played this last night for expeditions. We did the same thing and ended taking out the main character in the first hour of a four hour session. The DM had Cassy ask us to clear out the rest of the place and we went at it and had a lot of fun since we didn't feel rushed to get through to the end.

Originally posted by Jeraxle:

What you have to remember is that all the sessions are leading up to one big climatic event and not every session is going to be hack and slash from what I've been told the previous session were more investigative/roleplay. Which is something I enjoy over straight dungeon crawl.  If you find that your party is walking through the combat you can up it to make it tougher on them?

Ran it this weekend and my players didnt even go into room 2, instead they wanted to head straight in to where the remains of the cleric had been found, which I said was on the landing outside the door to room 4 (Bone pit).

They also didnt investigate the Necropolis.

Ricochet

Explorer
Questions

Originally posted by Nevvur:

Planning on running this at my FLGS tomorrow. Couple of quick questions.

A key is mentioned for opening the locks in area 2, but there's no mention where it is obtained. Is this something the Doomguide would give them? Would Cassyt have it, if she accompanies them? Or should the party be able to discover it inside somewhere?

Area 14 description remarks that the zombies in 14a will investigate if the party sprung any traps in area 12. Area 12 has no description of traps. Which sort of traps do you advise adding to area 12, if any?

If you've run this one yourself and have any other tips, I welcome them.

Originally posted by Zarton:

For the key, the either the doomgiver or cassy would have it. Doomgiver would only give it when asked. Cassy would as a guide though she may try to direct them elsewhere as the party may skip on any creatures down the main path that could sneak up and out of the crypt. It may be refering to the trap in area 10 (The glyph of warding going off)

Cassyt should have the key to area 2, however only the Doomguide has a key to the crypts in area 3.

For area 14, I would just remove the words "from area 12" so that the sentence just says, "…If the adventurers have sprung any traps…"

Originally posted by Nevvur:

Thanks guys. Time to slay some undead!

More discussion of the missing trap can be found here(x).

Originally posted by MasterNamer:

It may be a reference to the same magic mouth trap that's on the first set of skeletal scenes, as it would make sense that the clerics wouldn't want the dead disturbed in either area.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases