• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI is down for maintence

Trum

First Post
So, I was browsing compendium as usual, than it started to crash on every page. I thought these were common bugs, and soon it'll go back to normal, but then it redirected me on "maintenance" page.

CEeErUP.png

Curiously, only DDI site behaves this way, main D&D site and other WotC sites are all working.

So, what do you think is happening?

1) Nothing to worry about!
It is as it says: simple maintenance, and in a couple of hours all will return to normal (i.e. buggy site, a lot of broken links, two years without updates)

or

2) Something good is happening!!
They are transferring all the content to new engine, making it downloadable, combining it with 5E content, or something even more greater!!

or

3) The time has come to panic!!!
They are going to clear up all legacy 4E content, and it'll never coming back!

I know, I make a lot of assumptions about simple maintenance screen, but our group became very dependent on DDI, an I really don't want for it to go away for good :-S

UPD
False alarm, it's up and it's unchanged.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
So, what do you think is happening?

1) Nothing to worry about!

Nothing to worry about this time (which is good). And, I expect, nothing to worry about for some time to come.

However...

3) The time has come to panic!!!
They are going to clear up all legacy 4E content, and it'll never coming back!

For the most part, keeping DDI going is currently free money for WotC - people are paying subscriptions every month for material that can just sit there on servers that need very little maintenance.

Eventually, though, there will come a time when the servers need replaced or upgraded, or where otherwise the maintenance isn't simply "routine". At which point WotC may well decide the costs don't justify the income, and DDI will finally be wound down.

(That's probably some ways down the line, especially if they can share space with Magic's online tools. And hopefully there will also be plenty of warning - it'll end because they choose not to do an upgrade, rather than because something goes BANG. But neither of these is absolutely certain, of course.)

So, if there's anything you have on their servers that you can't bear to lose (presumably, character sheets), make sure you have them backed up in a form you can continue to use. Which, fortunately, is a good policy anyway. :)

Remove ads