• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI Updates in December

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I'm pretty sure you're right about the import issues being house rule related. In fact, didn't they tell us to remove the house rules before import as a work around?

I don't know if that is it - my character wouldn't import, and she has no house rules - the only thing that I can think of that might have caused it to choke were the 2-3 lines of campaign notes I had (which was longer than the space allowed in the new CB).

That said, rebuilding her with the new version did give me a chance to re-evalute my power and feat choices, and I'll be doing some retraining in the coming levels.

I'm hoping that once there is an export function, that provided the character file was made by and valid on the new CB, that it would upload without trouble.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I'd like an admittance of fault more than admittance of a beta of which we were already completely aware. Something along the lines of "We're sorry" or "We apologize" pertaining to delays, their blatant hush tactics, and receiving money for services not rendered. I feel like they'd regain subscribers by taking the said path, but that's just me. Not mad. Just an opinion. I could be wrong.

This is what Matthew Sprange did when Mongoose cocked up. He didn't hide behind his own website constantly spruiking his new releases. He came to ENWorld and 'fessed up and said what he and the company were doing to fix the problems.

That's leadership.

Compare and contrast that with WotC. Can you imagine Bill Slavicsek using Ampersand for anything other than, "Wow, look at me. I just summoned one of my minions into my office because I am so important. And look at all this great stuff we have coming but I can't tell you about. But I know all about it because I am so important. Look at my minions!"

When my company stuffs up, I 'fess up and I fix up, if you will pardon the bad English. WotC should be doing the same. What we are seeing isn't inarticulate nerdrage but customer base that is browned off for legitimate reasons. If WotC cannot see that then perhaps it's time they looked at selling off the D&D RPG business to a company that doesn't have such a tin ear.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I believe those errors were mainly due to houseruled characters or characters with weird names for the file name (or names that were too long.)

If you're just exporting from th CB back into the CB I think it should be fine...

But then again... Never underestimate the capacity for stuff to get all messed up. :p

I think it might also have something to do with if your character has anything in the journal section. I have 2 copies of a paladin I play - one has some notes (like 2-3 pages) in the journal section of the old CB and one doesn't. The one without any journal notes uploaded just fine into the online CB - the other one wouldn't upload at all. I also have a barbarian with a large journal entry (17 or 18 pages) and it would not upload either. Take out the journal notes and bingo it uploads.

samursus

Explorer
After reading the post, some of my nerdrage has died off. Getting Forgotten Kingdoms was a major thing for me, and having them actually say they are working on an export function gives me hope.

I have to agree with the sentiments of many others on this thread: TALK to us! Tell us what's going on... and if you don't pull any d***head maneuvers, we'll keep you in business. I mean, for many of us, D&D is our smack. It takes a LOT to piss us off. And yet, they managed...

Edit: And kudos for bringing back the bonus breakdown... I really missed that.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This is all very positive, and might turn my "trust them" switch back on.

We’re going to launch a beta of the web tools version of Adventure Tools. This will be a web-based version of the Adventure Tools classic, but with new code, and material from the Dark Sun Creature Catalog and level 1-10 material from the Monster Vault. Adventure Tools classic will remain up and downloadable, but the new monsters will only go in the web version.

"We've learned from our clusterflubs. We're sorry. Here's the material we basically promised you, there's more coming, and we're not going to take away what already works well for some of you."

E.G.: All that anger made them not screw up again. ;)

Compendium is also going to get another update that includes some information from the Rules Compendium, and level 1-10 material from the Monster Vault.

...but not Forgotten Kingdoms stuff?

That confuses me, but maybe it's just "not mentioned?"

And that leaves us with the upcoming Character Builder update. We’re looking at implementing some bug fixes, increasing stability, adding some new features (including an export feature), and adding content from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, Dragon 392, and Dungeon 183.

"We're still going to work on polishing that turd!"

:)

I kid, but it's something. Getting a CB that has the information and that works is probably enough for a lot of people.

I'm a little concerned about how other stuff is getting added, and I hope that they don't pull a slick one with the Compendium stuff, but that last bit is probably me being overly suspicious.

Great. Good. I'm pleasantly surprised. If they keep it up, keep making things better, and keep everything up-to-date, we might be where we were in August '10 come April '11. ;)

Chzbro

First Post
I mean, for many of us, D&D is our smack. It takes a LOT to piss us off. And yet, they managed...

I don't disagree with your sentiments necessarily, but I find your analogy interesting. It seems to me that because D&D is our smack, it's extraordinarily easy to piss us off. If you mess with the object of someone's obsession/addiction, even just a little bit, it tends to send them over the edge.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for feeling the way he or she feels, or even that it's not justified. The level of anger though, sometimes surprises me. I mean, if you go through the drive-through and get a horrible meal, some people will shrug it off, other people will choose to take their business elsewhere, but very few will take the time to write about how they are going to take their business elsewhere and what the place needs to do to win them back.

Part of this is because my comparison is stupid and imperfect, but mostly this is because people don't identify themselves as "fast-food eaters" in the same way that we identify ourselves as D&D players.

In other words, I think it's fair to say that the more we care about something, the easier it is for that thing to anger us rather than the opposite. And when that anger is justified, it burns even hotter.

(I really hope this is not seen as inflammatory. I am prone to yelling at Matt Cassel and the KC Chiefs through my TV and got badly out of joint about the brokenness of skill challenges; my opinions are based largely on self-observation.)

Alhambra

First Post
I don't disagree with your sentiments necessarily, but I find your analogy interesting. It seems to me that because D&D is our smack, it's extraordinarily easy to piss us off. If you mess with the object of someone's obsession/addiction, even just a little bit, it tends to send them over the edge.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for feeling the way he or she feels, or even that it's not justified. The level of anger though, sometimes surprises me. I mean, if you go through the drive-through and get a horrible meal, some people will shrug it off, other people will choose to take their business elsewhere, but very few will take the time to write about how they are going to take their business elsewhere and what the place needs to do to win them back.

Part of this is because my comparison is stupid and imperfect, but mostly this is because people don't identify themselves as "fast-food eaters" in the same way that we identify ourselves as D&D players.

In other words, I think it's fair to say that the more we care about something, the easier it is for that thing to anger us rather than the opposite. And when that anger is justified, it burns even hotter.

(I really hope this is not seen as inflammatory. I am prone to yelling at Matt Cassel and the KC Chiefs through my TV and got badly out of joint about the brokenness of skill challenges; my opinions are based largely on self-observation.)

I think there's a fine line between random rage that doesn't affect sales, and the deep betrayal that causes a fresh chunk of subscribers to bail as soon as they can out of sheer disappointment. Every company of every genre irks their customers sometimes, but reparation is usually swift and graceful. This latest resembles a train colliding head-on into another train. Afterward WotC moves in to "clean up" by pooping on it and setting it on fire. In genuinely surprises me they still have solid supporters that don't voice their regret in at least a murmur.

Oh well. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Chzbro

First Post
This latest resembles a train colliding head-on into another train. Afterward WotC moves in to "clean up" by pooping on it and setting it on fire.

Yes. Words like "deep betrayal" and the example you used above clearly indicate a pure, emotionless reaction.

I stand corrected.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think there's a fine line between random rage that doesn't affect sales, and the deep betrayal that causes a fresh chunk of subscribers to bail as soon as they can out of sheer disappointment. Every company of every genre irks their customers sometimes, but reparation is usually swift and graceful. This latest resembles a train colliding head-on into another train. Afterward WotC moves in to "clean up" by pooping on it and setting it on fire. In genuinely surprises me they still have solid supporters that don't voice their regret in at least a murmur.

Oh well. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I suppose it is good to see unwarranted hyperbole is still alive and kicking.

Remove ads