• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDO is dead!

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
It's such a shame. There are so many MMOs out there I'd love to try. Unfortunately my machine is so archaic WoW is the only one that runs with any stability. But I've played the bejeesus out of that game. It's fun, but I realized the sense of wonder is just gone, and that's always something I want from an MMO.

DDO was one of those games I wanted to try. I picked up a few trial runs, but it never quite grabbed me. I got the sense that it could've been a lot more than it really was. And I liked the idea of an all-instanced game. It works for Guild Wars. But then, I didn't have to pay monthly for that, either.

MarauderX

Explorer
Alright, after that much griping, I will be switching DDO servers to find a more populated one. Does anyone know if one of them has more than 200 people on it in the evenings, on average? Riedra seems to have been between 100-200 at any given time, with most at level 12, and most are already teamed.

GlassJaw

Hero
MarauderX said:
Alright, after that much griping, I will be switching DDO servers to find a more populated one. Does anyone know if one of them has more than 200 people on it in the evenings, on average? Riedra seems to have been between 100-200 at any given time, with most at level 12, and most are already teamed.

For what it's worth, I think Riedra is considered one of the least populated servers. Anything would probably be an upgrade.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Grog said:
If DDO is in trouble, it doesn't surprise me in the least. The game was pretty obviously rushed to market, which is the absolute worst thing you can do with an MMORPG. At launch, you could only go up to level 10 and it didn't even have all the core classes, let along PrCs and such. It always struck me as being a pale shadow of what it could have and should have been.

It's called competition. To get your product out on the shelves before your competitor does. Which usually results in buggy, crapola product.

Neo

Explorer
I was one of the Beta Testers for DDO and I have to say as a D&D player I found it a great disappointment. The earlier comment someone made about it being something but not quite what was expected by either roleplayers, MMORPGers and Eberron fans is spot on imo. It touched just enough of all three things to say yes we are those things but not enough D&D or Eberron to feel like it was properly either.

The upcoming LOTRO Shadows of Angmar is a far better effort imo, and provided they can handle some of the perofrmoance issues and a few silly changes they implemented in the last patch back to either how they were or more sensibly altered then I imagine that game will be very successful and a worthwhile competitor for WoW. And it very MUCH does have the look and feel of Middle Earth (though I still wish they'd gotten permission to use the Howard Shore music for the game, as the music used is sadly not so middle earth ambient).

I think the last two major D&D related games (DDO and NWN 2) were both something of a disappointment personally, but thats just my take.

MarauderX

Explorer
Neo said:
I was one of the Beta Testers for DDO and I have to say as a D&D player I found it a great disappointment. The earlier comment someone made about it being something but not quite what was expected by either roleplayers, MMORPGers and Eberron fans is spot on imo. It touched just enough of all three things to say yes we are those things but not enough D&D or Eberron to feel like it was properly either.

The release was horrible. The changes that have been added since make me think that they pushed to release too soon. You should try it now, it's much better than even 6 months ago.

In other news, there were less than 60 (not including anonymous) on the Riedra server for the last ~2 hours. I had the only 7th level character for about 1/2 hour of that.

LotR is supposed to be a big, flashy wow kinda thing, but which MMO doesn't try to market it that way?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
MarauderX said:
LotR is supposed to be a big, flashy wow kinda thing, but which MMO doesn't try to market it that way?

I was in the Beta, and I was really disappointed by how much of a WoW clone it was. Tried a few characters but I really couldn't get past it.

I still hope it succeeds, I just wanted something different than what I got from the game.

GlassJaw

Hero
MarauderX said:
The release was horrible. The changes that have been added since make me think that they pushed to release too soon. You should try it now, it's much better than even 6 months ago.

And getting better with each release IMO. I almost left the game about two months ago but the new enhancement system brought me back.

In other news, there were less than 60 (not including anonymous) on the Riedra server for the last ~2 hours. I had the only 7th level character for about 1/2 hour of that.

I thought you were going to switch servers? I recently left the guild I was in but I've had no problems finding groups. In fact, there are more LFM's up on Xoriat at times than I can ever remember.

MarauderX

Explorer
GoodKingJayIII said:
I was in the Beta, and I was really disappointed by how much of a WoW clone it was. Tried a few characters but I really couldn't get past it.

I still hope it succeeds, I just wanted something different than what I got from the game.

A WOW clone? Really? Didn't come across that way at all to me... everything is instanced, for example.
Today's AM report: 37 people low, 96 high.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads